Warhammer 40k LARP

Hey all,

I’ve been tossing an idea around my head about a LARP set in the Warhammer 40000 universe. Probably something similar to “Death Unto Darkness” run inthe UK:

deathuntodarkness.org/

Nerf guns / water pistols, etc.

Is there any interest in something like that?

Jon

I think there probably would be, there certainly was when someone else raised it years and years ago. (Um, somewhere in the forums?) But - one of the things that came out of that conversation was that the company that owns Warhammer are highly protective of their IP, so it’s something to be careful about.

I’m definitely interested.

On the IP front, the Death unto Darkness lot donate any excess money to charity and don’t set games anywhere that’s defined in the 40K canon.

[quote=“Andrensath”]I’m definitely interested.

On the IP front, the Death unto Darkness lot donate any excess money to charity and don’t set games anywhere that’s defined in the 40K canon.[/quote]

I am not sure NZLARPS would be prepared to make a larp like this a project - an affiliate perhaps. The risk of legal action is insane with anything to do with GW.

Having said that - I know serveral people who have made their own space marine armor - and would love to play myself.

I’d be keen to play especially if I can be some sort of weird techno priest sort of creepy freak.

Just call it Space Knights in the Distant Future. GW has rights to Space Marine but not Space Knight. Otherwise what Ryan said.

Also sound cool.

There’s a bunch of miniature manufacturers that are making “Space Fights in the Future with Power Armour and Bugs and Things” which I’d imagine GW are a lot more worried about - yet those manufacturers are still making those figures. I’d think the implication from that is as long as you don’t call it “Warhammer 40,000” or use any copyrighted or trademarked terms, there isn’t a lot GW could do about it, even if it is recognisable as probably being the same game.

Also, there’s a reasonably large cosplay following for 40K costumes (Sisters of Battle seem quite popular for some reason) and as far as I know GW takes no steps to stop those.

Bottom line is I think you’d be fine with it. And the costumes have the potential for awesomeness. (Not sure about the setting though; 40K fluff always struck me as a bit stupid and incredibly incoherent :wink: )

Thats a really cool idea, I’d play/crew that :smiley:

I certainly don’t want to come off as against the project, I think it’s a great idea (I wanna be a Lictor…) but GW in particular do have a reputation for stomping on people when they can.

Having said that, I think if you wanted to use all the “right” names and such I’d think there’d be two ways you could go about it:

1. (and the preferred option) - Just go ahead and do it, and if you get a “cease and desist” letter from GW - which seems pretty unlikey - then simply cease and desist :wink:
  2. Get in contact with the UK larp that is using those names already and ask them how they did it

[quote=“Stephanie”]You know what? If someone announced that they were going to run “Happy Birthday: The Larp”, I’d be telling them not to do it. The company that owns that particular song is known for being litigious, and I very much doubt that they’d hold back because a particular production is run by amateurs.

If someone announced that they were going to run “Discworld: The Larp”, I’d have no comment to make other than that it’d be worth inviting Terry Pratchett because he might like to come, and if we’re lucky he might be in the country for a book signing. Because Pratchett is known for being relaxed about fan productions based on his writing as long as they’re nonprofit.

It depends on the property and the attitudes of the property owner. GW is known for being litigious. And incidentally - there’s no concept in New Zealand law of “fair use” or “parody” rights. There is in America, but not here.[/quote]
No - but we do have common law - which states that rights of companies are only recognised under contract. Simply state no contract and you win. Case dismissed.

Back to the game - I would love (and I mean love) to play some npc’s for this - Nurgle enforcer type - or even a plague marine (woot) - I dunno but I think with my size I would make a fairly close plague marine.

Also - I would not mind playing an inquisitor or member of said inquisitors retinue :slight_smile: all I can really say is DO IEEEEEEET!

[quote=“Jared”]Just call it Space Knights in the Distant Future. GW has rights to Space Marine but not Space Knight. Otherwise what Ryan said.

Also sound cool.[/quote]

Void Marines sound cooler.

[quote=“Scotty”][quote=“Jared”]Just call it Space Knights in the Distant Future. GW has rights to Space Marine but not Space Knight. Otherwise what Ryan said.

Also sound cool.[/quote]

Void Marines sound cooler.[/quote]

Oh my yes!

I think moving the thread is a good idea, but speaking just for myself, there isn’t anything I have to say that I haven’t already said. if people want to run such a game and everything’s fine, then good for them; if it turns out that they get problems from the copyright holder, then it’s officially not my concern.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Jon.

I’ve split the legal discussion to this new thread in General and deleted posts from this thread that were solely about legal issues, so that this thread can focus on the game idea. I didn’t want to edit people’s posts with mixed content to remove legal discussion, people can do that themselves if they want.

Ryan

The 40k look and atmosphere really appeal to me, I think it’d suit larp well.

I’m not fully familiar with the setting though, and I imagine that’s true for a fair number of non-wargamers, so there would be the usual question of how well you need to know the existing canon to enjoy playing.

Oh yeah:

Yeah like I said, Sisters of Battle seem to be the most popular, for some reason (not that I’m complaining about that)

Plus it would give us the opportunity to cover up our Nerf Mavericks with 12 feet of camp mat and make a “proper” Boltgun :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

EDIT: Like-a this:

Also:

Inspirational stuff.

[quote=“Stephanie”]I think moving the thread is a good idea, but speaking just for myself, there isn’t anything I have to say that I haven’t already said. if people want to run such a game and everything’s fine, then good for them; if it turns out that they get problems from the copyright holder, then it’s officially not my concern.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Jon.[/quote]

Ditto. If you’re keen (and from this thread, a lot of people are), then get together and Make It Happen.

That one is made in France…

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … 388&type=3