Upcoming larps in Wellington

calendar
wellington
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f926987dc48> #<Tag:0x00007f926987db08>

As of 2 June 2019

A list of all Wellington events can be found here: http://nzlarps.org/wellington

June 10, 2019
Medieval Dance Workshop

This is an informal OOC workshop for anybody interested in learning some historic dances. I’ve got a short list of things that I’d like to try and I’m open to suggestions of others. I’m not an expert myself - I remember exactly one of those dances out of the box. So we’ll be working things out as we go to an extent. But I’ll do my best to prepare instructions for those that we want to learn and I’ll also post links to videos on the forum. The main goal is to have fun!

I’ll also bring speakers and the music we’ll need. The only thing you really need to bring is flat shoes - the dances weren’t designed for people wearing heels. Long skirts/dresses are optional but I definitely won’t discourage anyone from wearing one! (I may wear one myself. We’ll see.) Some water or a water bottle to fill up at the venue might be good as well but don’t worry: this is not a fitness class.

Contact me on Diatribe or by email on nicoletta (dot) demaio (at) protonmail (dot) ch by the end of Monday 3 June if you’re interested in taking part. Any more questions, just ask. I’m happy to help.

7pm - 9pm. Toi Pōneke Arts Centre, 61/69 Abel Smith St, Te Aro. $5 per person. Diatribe thread here.

June 22. 2019
The Lotus

It was supposed to be a quiet trip.

Relations between humans, Kyrion, and Votari – the three races that share the galaxy – were about as calm as they ever got. There hadn’t been any properly violent clashes in months. The Lotus was just supposed to deliver a cargo of Kyrion criminals to a prison planet.

The prisoners’ quarters weren’t supposed to malfunction, so the alien criminals suddenly running loose on the ship were a nasty surprise.

The Lotus wasn’t supposed to encounter any other ships on the way, so the distress call from a passing Votari ship was a major inconvenience.

Still, as long as everyone kept their cool, it could’ve been okay.

…right up until the plague hit.

The Lotus is a sci-fi LARP about culture clash, moral dilemmas, and alien weirdness, inspired by Firefly, Defiance, and Doctor Who.

7:30pm - 10:30pm, Petone Community House, 6 Britannia St, Petone. $20, $15 for NZLARPS / SAGA / VUWGC members and new larpers. Registration

July 6, 2019
Thunderrealm Island 3: Silverflow Range

Some rather strange events have been occurring in Silverflow Range lately, and it’s up to our intrepid characters to find out what this means for the fate of Thunderrealm Island.

The air is cold up there, and the perils only grow stronger, but with what you have learned so far, you should be one step closer to unearthing the secrets these snow-dusted peaks hide.

Silverflow Range is the third event in the Thunderrealm Island campaign.

1pm - 6pm. Price and location TBA. Facebook event.

July 20, 2019
Volcano’s Edge

It is 1930. Wall Street has just crashed, sea ice lingers in the Bering Straits, volcanos have exploded in Turkey and hurricanes devastate the United States. The mysterious ‘red weed’ has started to colour shores all around the globe. The Society for Investigative Researchers (SIR) has called for the world’s best and brightest to attend a symposium to try and address these natural disasters, among other problems. But the world has not long recovered from one World War - attending too are the players of the Great Game, the murky world of espionage that countries have to play or die. Are rumours of another World War on the horizon fearmongering or dire prophecy? Can such conflict be prevented or will personal vendettas bring down empires? And what are the rumours of dinosaurs really all about?

Volcano’s Edge is a one-off larp of politics and intrigue in the world of the classic pulp magazines. Explorers, scientists, spies and adventurers all vying to Save the World! It was written by Nickey Barnard, Steve Bassett, Dream Cloutman-Green, Sue Lee, Cat Tobin and Janet Young and has 33 player spaces.

Character sheets are quite long - 10 sides of A4 are typical. Costuming appropriately is encouraged to add to the feel of the game. There are certain 1930s prejudices that are implicit in the character’s world views but they are not dwelt upon. Violence in character’s backgrounds does exist consistent with the pulp era, but is not graphic.

7pm - 11pm, Brooklyn Community Centre, 18 Harrison St, Brooklyn. $20, $15 for NZLARPS / SAGA members and new larpers. Registration form.

August 23-25, 2019
Phoenix 2019

Christchurch’s annual larp convention, with a variety of games. Game blurbs are here.

5pm Friday - 6pm Sunday. Waipara Adventure Centre, 137 Darnley Road, Amberley. $85 catered – $55 uncatered. $5 discount for SAGA/NZLARPs Members. Travel planning post

The Future

• The Innsmouth Papers, the Lovecraftian letter larp, starts July 1. Characters due by 17 June.
  • We have nothing in Wellington in August. If you’d like to fill the gap, check the event planning calendar.
  • Contagion, a fantasy-horror day campaign, is planning its first session in October. There is an expression of interest form here.
  • Consequence game 1 has sold out, but they are still looking for crew. You can buy a ticket here

Introduce yourself
Introduce yourself
pinned #2

pinned #3