Starwars larp

Hi all, I have been pondering starting a starwars larp.

Would like to know how much intrest there would be if I was to run a game, I have a system will full rules to work from. Just let me know how many would love to come and if you would prefer Auckland or Hamilton.

-Xcerus

Using the official rules, which use symbolic mechanics?

if by “official” rules you mean one of the D20 (or other lucas arts regognised) systems then no, I have a full Starwars larp system which has been looked at by some members of the lucas team and one of the characters in the up coming starwars game was based around one of the npc’s in the UK game.

This system has been running in the UK for over 2 years and the rules work very well. If there is enough intrest then I will host the ruleset I will be using somwhere for now tho I would like a rough idea of how many people would want to partake in a starwars larp before I divulge too much about setting, rules and what i would need in the way of crew etc etc…

I’d possibly be interested in a Star Wars larp.

I remember when the original Star Wars movie came out in 1977 and I went along. I was 8 years old and the movie changed my life.

I’d love to charge around whacking people with light sabres, but when I searched for “star wars larp” on google, I got this:

starwarslarp.com/

Which I think does combat like table top RPGs, but without the table. You compare DEX stats to see who goes first. I’d not be interested in a game like this…

I had a look at that link Derek, I also dragged out the official Star wars live action rules by west end games ( ia have a photocopy of my original rule book) unfortunately their not much better in that they to use a non contact trait system for combat, however it owuld not be too hard to convert it to something like the serenity system and allow boffer light sabres (if thats possible) and other melee weapons. Just a thought :slight_smile:

For the benefit of the people who are playing Serenity for the first time at Chimera, would it be possible to run through a demo / example of the combat beforehand? I haven’t looked at the rules lately but last time I read them I remember thinking “mmm - I’d like to see this happening before I need to participate in a combat…”

Ok I can see my fatal error here - lack of info.

The system is a full larp with boffer weapons, no stats checking just xp expenditure to unlock skills which allow you to do more things (mostly combat) but sneaky bastard abilities like pickpocket and feign death are also about.

In regards to the “larp safe lightsaborz” question:

For any who are unsure the tenticle guy in the background is me, and I play a sith apprentice :smiley: (I am playing a Kel’dor)

which particular era are you playing in?

Old republic, Rebellion or new republic?

[quote=“Wulfen (David)”]which particular era are you playing in?

Old republic, Rebellion or new republic?[/quote]

… and can you give any more details on potential plot pls? Just to have an idea of what it would be like in terms of expected events IC.

But I’m rather interested.

Sith are playable? Then no thanks.

mmmm larp-safe lightsabers…

I think the answer is that yes, there would be people interested in the idea in general. But they’d want to know how you’re doing it before committing to anything.

The physical combat approach will probably appeal to the fantasy larp crowd in Auckland.

People will be curious about what approach to the setting will be used (when, where, who), i.e. what kind of characters will be played in what setting/era and what activities their interests will lead them into.

The other details that people will want to know is what approach would be taken to events: single-team or multi-team missions lasting a few hours, weekend events at an overnight venue with a diverse population of PCs and NPCs with a wide range of action opportunities (like Serenity is being done), or something else?

If you’ve got set plans for that sort of thing, then laying them out might attract people. If you’re open to suggestions, people will probably have plenty of ideas about the specific sort of Star Wars larp they’d enjoy, and that could be worth tapping into. I’ve layed out somewhere on this forum an idea for a Star Wars larp where players could zip all over the galaxy in independant groups over the course of one day or evening of play, to get that “epic travel” feeling that seems central to Star Wars to me by, using a set of rooms for a number of different locations that can be visited and ship interiors. That’s a pretty novel approach and would require a very specific sort of indoor venue to work, but it would give so much more action per minute than most weekend larps. And personally, if the costuming and set dressing was really top notch I’d have trouble resisting coming to at least the occaisonal game.

The genre is somewhat inspirational. I just have to think about building a costume…

I am the only PC sith in the system, Jedi are rare, one of the jedi there is a pc and the other is a fleet admiral for the new republic. The era would be after the fall of the empire approx 8 years after the battle of Yavin.

weekend events at an overnight venue with a diverse population of PCs and NPCs with a wide range of action opportunities is my current plan assuming a one day event goes down well.

In order for players to be both new republic and imperial the system will be set in the outer fringes, at this point in time the new republic is simply monitoring imperial movements while the empire has split appart into fleets lead by warlords each of whom is trying to destroy their opposition and rise as leader of the empire. None of them can agree on who should be in charge and the galaxy stays in this predicament for several years until a counterattack is launched against Coruscant.

The system allows for Independant traders and ship owners all the way up to a formalised unit from either the imperia.l or new republic militaries. There are many guilds availible such as Bounty hunters.

Force users are highly restricted and I doubt there will be a single PC force user at the first event. It is possible to become force sensitive at a later date when your potential is noticed.

Ha ha.
I play a vague light saber larp game with my kids. I put on my black robe and grab my red light saber and hey presto instant bad guy Sith.
We don’t have “safe” light sabers though… just the plastic fantastic fully collapsable ones.
Some of the kids on our street have light sabers too so one day we had a brawl involving 4 or 5 kids vs. me.
Went down well with the patented 3 hits and your down scenario but I have to say kids have no idea how hard they’re hitting so I did actually have to block the little sods.

Ahh fun times 8)

…so this game is already running then?

He’s played in a Star Wars larp in the UK and wants to start up here using the same rules, I gather.

That setting sounds good. Just after the movies end, but still with the option for Stormtroopers who are undoubtedly the coolest thing in Star Wars.

So light sabers aside, how does one deal with combat?

Weapons are larp safe weapons no doubt but how is ranged combat handled?

Short version, how do I blast Greedo in this game?

Ooo… perfect setting for water pistols in my humble opinion.

Hmm except its really hard to block a stream of water with a light saber…
(although blocking anything is likely to be hard)

In another system I have played, magic weapons could block spell balls… this really only happened a handfull of times in the entire time I had played that system.

I imagine this would be similarly difficult in a star wars larp too.