Show me the larp!

At the last committee meeting the committee decided that they want a page on the NZLARPS website that acts as a visual beginner’s guide to larp in New Zealand. A page where a new larper, or a foreigner new to larp here, or a larper who wants to expand their horizons, can get a quick guide to what’s on, what it looks like (with lots of photos), and how to get involved.

The suggestion was to focus more on campaigns, because it would be too hard to keep it updated with specific one-off events. But it could have a “where to find the one-off events” bit.

I’ve agreed to put the page together, but would anyone else like to kick the ball off with some text on the existing campaigns or suggestions for material that should be on this page?

[size=150]Show me the larp![/size]

So you want to get into larp in New Zealand? You’ve come to the right place, this is your guide to the strange new worlds of kiwi larp.

If you’re not sure what larp is, check out the description to the right.

Most of the larps discussed in detail here are ongoing series, usually with continuity of characters and happenings from one event to the next. Events in a series can happen as often as monthly or as seldom as once a year.

One-off larp events in various genres also happen, but there’s less information about them here because that would mean updating this page too frequently. If you want to get the full picture of what’s coming up including one-off events, check out our calendar of upcoming events at the top right of the NZLARPS homepage.

If you haven’t already, you should check out the NZ larp forum Diatribe sometime, at www.diatribe.co.nz. It’s a great place to meet with fellow larpers and find out about the scene. Check out the Diatribe Welcome Page for an introduction to the forum.

Once you’ve found one or more larps that you like the sound of, contact the organisers to book into an event and you’re ready to go.

If you can’t find any larps in your area, check your local roleplaying game store for notices. There are probably many larps running that the society doesn’t know about. Otherwise, consider starting a larp yourself. NZLARPS will be happy to support you.

Auckland

Auckland is totally bustling with larp activity, and organisers are super keen for new players and crew.

[ul][li]2014 is a comic-book inspired larp in an apocalyptic future where people with superpowers are the underclass in a totalitarian USA. Mutants, robots, and even aliens abound in this live-combat setting.
[/li]
[li]AMERICA is the Auckland University roleplaying club, and it runs two gaming conventions each year called Battlecry and America’s Cup. Each usually includes a one-off larp event. These usually have abstract resolution, as live combat is less suitable for indoor conventions.
[/li]
[li]Nibelungen is a science fiction larp following the lives of a group of aliens who crash-land on modern Earth. Includes missions in a specially-fitted spaceship venue with a space travel simulator.
[/li]
[li]Nightmare Circle is a live-combat horror larp inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft. Events are run across a variety of periods from 1920s to modern day.
[/li]
[li]One World By Night Auckland is a World of Darkness vampire chronicle using the old Mind’s Eye Theatre system.
[/li]
[li]Pirates explores the world of swashbuckling adventure of Carribean pirates. Live combat with an emphasis on the interactions between the crews of various pirate ships.
[/li]
[li]Ravenholme is a live-combat gothic fantasy set in a haunted manor where bizarre gatherings occur down through the ages. The events in the campaign are often set hundreds of years apart, tied together by the eerie manor. Expect stately dinners against a shadowy backdrop of mystery and bloodshed.
[/li]
[li]Skirmish is Dungeons and Dragons brought to life. It’s light on roleplay & costume and heavy on fighting with foam weapons and magic with thrown packets. Character creation is easy, which is lucky as death is common. Kill monsters, take their stuff, level up, and kill tougher monsters - it’s classic fantasy questing!
[/li]
[li]St. Wolfgang’s Vampire Hunters! is a live-combat larp set in 13th Century Europe, following the adventures of a secret holy order that defends Christendom against the forces of darkness.
[/li]
[li]Stargate SG21 is based on the science fiction TV series. Take on the role of a special operative investigating distant worlds and take part in military operations, exploration and alien diplomacy. Uses a mixture of live combat for melee and abstract resolution for firearms and various skills.
[/li]
[li]Vampire Requem is a World of Darkness vampire chronicle using the new Mind’s Eye Theatre system.[/li][/ul]Hamilton

Hamilton has had various larps running in the past including vampire chronicles, but at the moment we only know of one larp series.

[ul][li]Quest Waikato is a live-combat fantasy campaign.[/li][/ul]Wellington

The most common larp events in Wellington are one-offs with pre-written characters and abstract resolution. These larps are most often run at roleplaying conventions such as Confusion and Kapcon.

A good place to find out what’s happening in the Wellington roleplaying scene is the NZRaG forum. Most of the discussion is about pen-and-paper roleplaying, but larp comes up too and some announcements of Wellington larps are made there.

[ul][li]Kapcon is Wellington’s largest yearly roleplaying convention, and it traditionally has a large larp on the Saturday night. There are often as many as 60 player characters. Kapcon typically runs on Wellington Anniversary Weekend in January. [/li][/ul]Christchurch

[ul][li]Saga is the University of Canturbury gaming club. It runs larp events at its yearly Buckets of Dice gaming convention.
[/li]
[li]Scott Farndon organises Mordavia South and other larps in Christchurch, and can be contacted under the username “Rasker” on the Diatribe forum.[/li][/ul]Dunedin

[ul][li]OURS is the Otago University Roleplaying Society. Members may occaisonally run larp events.[/li][/ul]

Here’s an example of the way we could put a scatter of photos I think we could put beside each larp on the “Show me the larp!” page. This is a mock-up for Ravenholme:

This would match up with the photo scatter idea for the homepage, tying the site together visually.

I’ve been editing the second post. Have I missed any Auckland larps?

Feel free to edit with corrections.

As a larp advocacy organisation, we should probably also have a page on the NZLARPS website that explains what larp is too. We can crib some material from the Diatribe welcome page, and add some more.

There could be some sort of step-through guide with several pages:

1. What is larp?
  2. How can I get involved?
  3. Show me the larp!

It’s almost like we need another section to the website that’s all about providing information. Which might be a good place for putting Immersion stuff too.

I’m especially considering things like parents visiting our site to decide whether it’s okay for the kids to go. Or school or government officials trying to find out what it’s about.

I agree.
We need to make the website nice and easy for newbies, including people who are not internet wiziards as well.
We have some simple colour with our pictures, soon to have the current games with show me the larps, Having what larp does sound quite important.
Also with the immersion stuff, I think we should look at having the previous editions up electonically as well. What about .pdf’s?

Okay, here’s a thought.

I’m keen to stick with the simple flat navigation that the website has for the moment. The menu has a number of items, each menu item links to one page, and that’s all there is. This is the ultimate in easy-to-navigate website design.

I think we can fit all this “what is larp/show me the larp” stuff into one Introduction page.

In the larger left-hand column we can have the Guide to larp in NZ (show me the larp). In the narrower right-hand column with the grey text we can have the brief friendly description of what larp is.

We can also link to this Introduction page from the homepage with a “new to larp or to New Zealand? Check out our introduction page” message, possibly under its own heading on the left side.

If we take this approach, the only problem is to find horizontal space in the menu for the Introduction link. Something may have to go.

So, further to that idea I’ve ripped some stuff out of the kiwi larp guide above and will post the definition of larp below. I’ll continue updating this when I have time.

[size=134]What is larp?[/size]

Larp is when people create fictional situations by improvising characters. There are many different approaches to doing this, and some people prefer some over others. Here at NZLARPS we encourage all varieties.

Genre
Larp can be about any fictional situation, so it can encompass any genre. It can be about a period in time from Earth, or a more fantastical setting. It can be based on an existing work of fiction like a movie or book, or be entirely original. It may include supernatural aspects. It might focus on social intrigue, or adventure, or anything else.

Production
Some larps strive to reproduce the physical world of the fiction with costume, special effects and set dressing. Others take a minimalist approach like you might see in some theatre productions, with plain clothes and maybe just a few important props. Sometimes players are asked to imagine things that aren’t present.

Rules
When characters attempt actions that conflict with other characters or with the setting, there are sometimes rules to help decide the result. In other cases, the players may just decide among themselves. Some larps can be described as having “live combat”, meaning they involve physical combat with foam weapons. In other larps, randomisers like cards or rock-paper-scissors are used to decide the results of uncertain actions.

Logistics
Larps can be run in private venues or public places. They can last for hours or for days at a time. They often have a price attached to help cover the costs. People who choose to help the organisers run the larp, often by playing more tightly briefed characters, may get to attend for a lower cost or for free. Players may be expected to put a lot of effort into equipment or background material, or they may just be able to turn up and play.

The right larp for you
Given all this variety you may have to try a few different larps before you find one that suits you, and people you enjoy playing with. It’s a bit like finding a theatre group or social sport team you like. If nothing suits, there’s always the option of starting your own.

This content is about ready to be put into a web page and have the images added.

Can the organisers of SG21, Skirmish, Wolfgang, and Nibelungen check your entries in the second post and make any changes you want?

I’ll PM the other organisers and ask for changes.

Nibelungen fine by me.

Wolfgang good, except it’s 13C and “Christendom”

Thanks. Here’s what I have so far:

nzlarps.org/new/guide.php

Note the changes to the menu bar.

I think that looks brilliant!

Might be an idea to use some of tigger’s B&W illustrations from Immersion down the right-hand panel.

But we can wait until there are more photos up in the left panel to see how busy it gets before looking for options for the right panel.

Loving it, great work Ryan.

Cheers guys.

Maybe links to wikipedia definitions of larp-related terms down the bottom of the right-hand column? It’s going to be a big gap once more pictures are in the left side. E.g.:

larp

History of larp

I’d like to give one for latex weapons, but the only one on wikipedia is for “boffer” and is very US-centric.

Awesome stuff, really nice work thanks Ryan. :smiley:

Just need a link from diaribie(which is where most searches end up) now and it should be a lot easier for a new person to figure what larping is and what the options are.

Keen to see what a newbie makes of it.

I plan to add more photos of events before we put it live, right now it’s just in a holding area.

I’ve added photos for all the larps I could find them for.

nzlarps.org/new/guide.php

Anna, I’ve put together photos for Wolgang from Mordavia, ones that seemed medieval/monkish/vampish, as a holding image until you take lots of nice photos of the real thing. Let me know if you don’t think it’s appropriate.

Probably just a bit of fine-tuning and then this will be ready to go up. Might get some more photos of Scottie’s larps and Hindenburg in there.

All good. We should have our own photos in about a month :smiley: