Ongoing updates

Fixed this last night.

I’ve written a “campaign ended” message on the Mordavia homepage too. Let me know if there’s anything else that you think needs doing to get the Mordavia website to a campaign-ended state.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Okay, NZLARPS site done and doing Diatribe now.

EDIT: Diatribe done too.

That larp award seems to have gone to sleep, I think the organiser may have lost motivation. I sent her a PM ages ago saying I’d be happy to help but didn’t hear back. DO we want to keep the banner up, given that it doesn’t lead to any activity at the moment?[/quote]

I say get rid of it.

I agree. I’ve PMed her again but not heard back.

I’ve removed it, can always put it back if it takes off again.

Shame, I still think an international comp is a nice idea.

100KB is a bit fat, Craig.

I mean, nice animation and all but the suggested weight is 20KB.

True that. I feel a bit guilty about it, but 100kb isn’t totally unheard of for ads. I decided in the end that since the ads stay in the browser’s cache (so they don’t have to load every time) it would be ok. I’ve already compressed it down, too! :S

However, I think we should only have one large ad’ at a time and only when there are not too many ads rotating. When the game is full I’ll swap it out for a smaller ad that calls for TCs.

It’s the parts where Nibelungen slides left and fade out that will be upping the frame count and thus the file size.

You can’t use less frames? They look totally smooth right now, looks like there’s room to degrade it a bit.

Craig, can you add Nibelungen to the current affiliates on the nzlarps.org website now? You’ll need a half-sized banner, not event-specific, preferably under 20k.Let me know if you want me to fiddle with the PHP file, it can be a bit of a pain.

Mordavia is due to drop off into “past projects” sometime.

I assume we’ll be able to add Ravenholme as a current project sometime soon.

Now the website is up, and meets all our basic needs, it would be great to make it more exciting for new people who go to it, after all the proposed future adversiting.
What about putting some photos up? or any other ideas?

I think making it more exciting = redesign. The existing navigation tree (page structure) could stay, but if we want it pretty then the look & feel needs to be totally overhauled.

That means graphic design. Something that integrates photographs would be logical, because larp is such a visual medium. They’d need to be ultra-smooth though (like the Immersion cover) because there’s a danger with photos of looking really amateur. And they’d need to work into the design not stick out.

In terms of a redesign, I think it’s something we shouldn’t rush. We’ve got a working site so we should get a redesign right - speed is not the issue. I think we should get our printed material sorted first, then look into this.

In the process of redesigning the graphics, we may also want to look at content. What we have up now is the basics, and could be expanded on. If it is, it’ll need a more encompassing navigation structure. Even if we don’t add additional content immediately, we should figure out what it will be and ensure there’s space for it in the navigation.

Typo on the homepage.

Should be “take your membership card”.

In late March/early April I want to start working on an overhaul built on drupal.org/

We could probably use/modify/mash this: drupal.org/project/project
and/or this: drupal.org/project/timesheet
and add some other stuff then give it back to the drupal community.

Craig has done a Nibelungern half-banner. I’ve updated nzlarps.org to show Nibelungen as a current affiliate.

I’ve made a half-banner for Ravenholme and put them in as a currect project.

I’ve also fixed that typo.

How would people feel if I added the Upcoming Events list to the NZLARPS website like we discussed, but with manually loaded data instead of automated off the calendar?

It’s an easy job, whereas the automation will take longer and I haven’t found time to do it yet. It will require me or Craig to edit a file to add and remove events, the same way Projects and Affiliates are currently done.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]How would people feel if I added the Upcoming Events list to the NZLARPS website like we discussed, but with manually loaded data instead of automated off the calendar?

It’s an easy job, whereas the automation will take longer and I haven’t found time to do it yet. It will require me or Craig to edit a file to add and remove events, the same way Projects and Affiliates are currently done.[/quote]

What do you mean by manually loaded data? It gets edited by the webmaster?

Yes. Probably by me and Craig in this case.

It could always be upgraded to automatically linking to the calendar later.

Yes. Probably by me and Craig in this case.

It could always be upgraded to automatically linking to the calendar later.[/quote]

Sounds good to me, can you add other people like Nikki who is currently editing diatribe, so she can update it as well?

Okay, I’ve just put it straight into the HTML for now so anyone who can edit web pages should be able to change it.

I haven’t put it live yet, just put it in the test area for review:

nzlarps.org/new/

In some cases the event names don’t seem to be finalised or I couldn’t find a good page for them, and just improvised. I included everything i could find a date for. Impressively long list of upcoming events. Obviously, it will need regular updating during Feb.

If haven’t used “off-site” blue arrows because they were cluttering it up. In fact, I don’t think we should use them on any of the links, and I think we should always open a new window. All of the on-site pages look totally different from the NZLARPS site, so it’s not a useful navigational distinction as well as being visual clutter.

Let me know if that’s good to go.

EDIT: I’ve just tried having projects and associates without the blue “off-site” arrows. It’s on the same link. Let me know if that’s preferred too.

Looks great - love the calendar. Thanks.

Looks great to me. :smiley: