Ongoing updates

Adam - yep, the idea is that as soon as you put a future event in the calendar it will appear on the NZLARPS front page, no manual work required.

Craig - I was going to make it list ALL future events. Will that work now and in the future when there are lots of events in the calendar? Or will the list get too long?

Also, listing events from the calendar means that if people put in NAAMA & Armageddon and so forth they they will show up on the NZLARPS homepage. Are we good with this?

Yeah, I see what you mean. Public holidays would show up as well. That stuff’s added for game creators’ planning, not announcing to the world. Maybe it shoud show the next four or five events. That way Skirmish can book itself up a whole year without blowing out the list.

Thinking about this has gotten me back onto the idea of the NZLARPS site having a proper event listing and registration system, like we discussed here: diatribe.co.nz/viewtopic.php … sc&start=0

I never got going on developing that system because I couldn’t connect to the database on the NZLARPS website for some reason. But one of the three things I wanted for NZLARPs this year was better online tool, which basically means this system.

What I’m thinking is that pulling upcoming events out of that system rather than the calendar would make a lot of sense, because it will only be larp events and we can link to a description of the event on its own NZLARPs page. Or link to an external page for the event, if that’s what the project/affiliate organiser prefers.

Problem is, that more complete system is quite complex and therefore not going to get done for a little while. Also, we still haven’t resolved why I couldn’t connect to the database - although in the worst case I could build it on the Diatribe database, which for some reason I could access from the NZLARPS site.

So for now I’ll look at pulling events out of the calendar like we’ve discussed recently, but in the medium term I think we should go back to our original ideas for a more integrated system that allows people to register for events on the NZLARPS website.

• We need to update the NZLARPS website to reflect the changes to the membership year that were voted in at the AGM.

• We should also post up the new version of the Constitution.

I’m not going to have time to add the calendar events to the NZLARPS homepage this month, any spare time is being taken up by Endgame.

Can we get the front page updated with Nibbles as an affiliate, oh and Medieval shop as well.

Here are a couple of ideas for the Medieval Shop banners.

Full banner for Diatribe:

Half banner for NZLARPS site:

Nich said to just go ahead and put something up. Shall we put these live and then ask for feedback from The Medieval Shop on text and images? Is the 10% discount signed off?

Also, we should consider removing the Mordavia banner.

More importantly I think we should slip the Mordavia site into “game over” mode and advertise the afterlarp. We can keep links pointing there for a while, then switch it again to “game really over” mode and just hold onto it to prove our legacy…

Just because the game’s over doesn’t mean we’re finished with it, right…!? I think there’s definately still a lot of value to the society in namedropping it.

I like the banners. The 10% discount is definately signed off from the Medieval Shop side. I just need to get those documenst to the society to sign off.

If no one from the committee disagrees, I say go ahead and put them up.

Website copy needs updating:

“Memberships last for a year from September to September”

BZZZT we’ve changed that.

I’m offline at summer school all day tomorrow, but might get a chance to fix it in the Evening. But if you feel like twinking that, Ryan…

I like the banners, are we getting a link on there site??

I agree we need to update the Mordavia site as soon as possible, with game closed - have a look at nzlarps.org etc.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Here are a couple of ideas for the Medieval Shop banners.

Full banner for Diatribe:

Half banner for NZLARPS site:

Nich said to just go ahead and put something up. Shall we put these live and then ask for feedback from The Medieval Shop on text and images? Is the 10% discount signed off?

Also, we should consider removing the Mordavia banner.[/quote]

I think Ill go in on Saturday and show these banners to Nich from my diatribe access. Then we can go live with them.

I think we should make a banner for nzlarps.or or diatribe to put on the Medieval Shop website as a link for link swap was part of the agreement. Ill talk to Nich about that as well on Sat and make sure he’s ok with that.

Ive been meaning to say this for a while but … is eveyone happy with the nzLARPS logo? I don’t know it just doesnt apeal to me much and I think we could do with some better branding. We ran a compitition way back in our infancy, should we give this another go? Maybe announce the compitition at the Mordavia After Larp?

Just watch as we fail to get another :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s ok, coming from a branding perspective. It’s distinctive, 2-bit, clearly recognisable and readable. It can be customised to suit games. Of course, the biggest problem is that the logo needs to be generic. Around advertising and branding my thoughts are that we advertise/help branding with the games because they can be so wonderfully flavoursome.

Our logo works well as a tag on other stuff like a “made in New Zealand” tag or something. Doesn’t detract attention but gets the message across.

[quote=“Nikki”]
I think Ill go in on Saturday and show these banners to Nich from my diatribe access.[/quote]

Don’t bother, he won’t be there. He’s getting married on Saturday. :stuck_out_tongue:

lol right thanks for letting me know,

I like the current nzLARPS logo, and at least one person I know who doesn’t like larp has looked at it at the top of the www.nzlarps.org website and said “that’s looks good”.

If you want to change it, I reckon you should raise a motion with the committee. I know the current logo snuck in the back door, but it’s very much the status quo now.

The only thing I don’t like is the lower case NZ. Not in the logo, that’s fine. But making the first two letters small in all the places we write NZLARPS, that a hassle and doesn’t look professional to me. It’s only done in the official material, everywhere else people use full caps to refer to the society, so its inconsistent branding. I’d be happier with just “NZLARPS”.

Im just trying to gauge how people feel about the logo, Im happy to keep it the way it is if Im the only one that doesnt like it.

I do think you have a point Craig that maybe we should focus on the branding of each individual game, rather than the NZLARPS logo.

Have the Medieval Shop banners gone up yet? The only reason I ask is because the affiliation is advertised in the Magazine and it would be really good to have them up by the time people receive their Mag.

Nich chose a very inconvenient time to go and get married :stuck_out_tongue: but if he has told you Ryan that he is happy for the banners to go up then we should go ahead and do it and ask their opinion afterwards.

Okay, NZLARPS site done and doing Diatribe now.

EDIT: Diatribe done too.

That larp award seems to have gone to sleep, I think the organiser may have lost motivation. I sent her a PM ages ago saying I’d be happy to help but didn’t hear back. DO we want to keep the banner up, given that it doesn’t lead to any activity at the moment?

I think all the stuff for the NZLARPS website is done, except:

• New version of the Constitution.
  • Nibelungen affiliation. Craig, do you want this and what should it link to?
    EDIT: * Upcoming Events on homepage

To do on the Mordavia website:

• Advertise end of campaign on homepage, send bulk email and mention society

Arse. I messed up a little editing the Diatribe banners at home this morning, and I don’t have my Diatribe FTP username/password here at work so can’t fix it.

For the moment there will occaisionally be no banner and the Wellington ad won’t come up. Will fix it when I get home/when Craig fixes it/when Craig PMs me my FTP login details or I remember them.