NZLARPS website updates

I’ve just updated the text of the NZLARPS website to bring it more up to date with the society in its current, regionalised form.

nzlarps.org

There is still work to bring the Kiwi Larp Guide page up to date (if we wish to keep this active).

The listing of Projects and Affiliates needs updating.

The Upcoming Events listing has not been upkept for some time. I think it may be best to get rid of this and automatically show event data for this from the Google calendar (using the API provided by Google).

If anyone would like changes to the NZLARPS website, please post them here.

Is there links to what other media have said about us? Link the 20/20 doco from Chimera.
Can please also add link from Anna’s recent interview with Lifestyle, as per facebook.

A “Media” page is an interesting idea for the NZLARPS website.

It could also give contact details for media to get in touch if they want interviews or to film.

I’d like to be selective about what media coverage we promote, especially in fairly permanent place like the NZLARPS website.

The recent NZ Life & Leasure piece that Anna interviewed for is excellent, would be very happy to present that. Here it is for those who haven’t seen it: nzlifeandleisure.co.nz/playing-the-larp-part/

I have mixed feelings on the 20/20 piece. It’s nice to have publicity, but I think that piece could put off as many people as it turns on. The editorial angle had some negative aspects.

I’m not 100% sure about my recent radio interview either. Again, there was some negative editorial slant. Maybe though.

On the 20/20 one, I agree that it wasn’t necessarily 100% positive. Also, as a simple courtesy, it might be a good idea to ask Hamish Meads what he feels about us linking to it on the website, as it did largely focus on him (and I don’t think he was completely happy with the end result.) I do think a Media page is a good idea though.

Is there a podcast somewhere of your interview you did on the radio, Ryan? I thought that was good too.

It’s here:

podcast.radionz.co.nz/art/art-20 … me-048.mp3

I’m not 100% comfortable with the slant there. There are a couple of comments from the interviewer & director that cast larp as weird or uncool, and I’d prefer not to promote pieces like that permanently. It’s borderline for me.

I just thought that your description was very concise and good.

Can we selectively edit material to remove those negative slants? I assume means getting copy/copyright from the holder.

Possibly we could cut it to just the part where I’m interviewed. Seems like that would be okay under fair usage laws.

HI Ryan,
Could you promote the below event on the webpage.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9162

Done: nzlarps.org/database.php?mode=vi … ventid=106

Though anyone can add events, and that has the advantage of being able to edit them yourself.

I’m starting to compile pieces for a Media page on the NZLARPS site.

I’ve taken an excerpt from the interview with Radio NZ, which comes out under 5 minutes.

It’s here: nzlarps.org/media/NZLARPSArtsOnS … erview.mp3

Here’s the excerpt I’m thinking of from the 20/20 article:

nzlarps.org/media/NZLARPS2020Article.m4v

What I’ve done is focus on the interviewer’s experience of playing a larp, and of what goes into creating a big larp like the Great Exhibition. Also the upbeat, happy stuff at the end where they put us in slow motion. Everything looks epic in slo-mo. :wink:

It’s 4 minutes long, made up of two pieces of the 14min article stuck together.

If we like this, I’ll ask permission of the people featured before putting it live on the website.

I found myself amending the events calendar on the NZLARPS page before I realised we had a much better calendar already in service. Good to see you’ve already seen this issue.
Considering you can access the google calendar from the diatribe page, maybe it would make as much sense just linking to the full calendar from the NZLARPS page as well?

[quote=“musicforwolves”]I found myself amending the events calendar on the NZLARPS page before I realised we had a much better calendar already in service. Good to see you’ve already seen this issue.
Considering you can access the google calendar from the diatribe page, maybe it would make as much sense just linking to the full calendar from the NZLARPS page as well?[/quote]

Yes, the duplication is unnecessary and the Google calendar won out some time back.

What I’d really like is for the the NZLARPS pages to show the events, using data from the Google calendar.

That’s technically possible. There’s a chance that when Nick rebuilds the site, the CMS may have a plugin that does this for us. In the meantime, do we want to just give a link instead of showing events?

Any issues with the suggested media clips I linked to?

nzlarps.org/media/NZLARPS2020Article.m4v
nzlarps.org/media/NZLARPSArtsOnS … erview.mp3
nzlifeandleisure.co.nz/playing-the-larp-part/

I’ll check with people featured in the video to make sure they’re okay with it. I’m going to check with Hamish and Rowena as they get the most screen time, is there anyone else I should ask?

Sorry Ryan, I had meant to check them out earlier, then it slipped my mind. They all seem fine to me.

I don’t think there is really anyone else in there who you need to check with. But, Adam Parsons is pretty much front and centre a couple of times in the 20/20 video. Given subsequent events, might it be best to edit him out if possible? I’m not sure you can entirely, because I think the reporter is narrating during at least one of those shots, but maybe it is worth examining.

Here’s what I’ve put together for the Media page on the NZLARPS site:

nzlarps.org/media.php

For now it’s only accessible using that link.

Let me know any ideas for improvements, I’m happy to have wording etc. suggested.

Looks great to me :slight_smile:

I like the links.
There was a documentary that Judit Klein did about Wolfgangs/why people larp. Was a school project, but professional looking IIRC. Could be worth tracking down a copy.

Could be worth mentioning the movies/tv that people see larp in. (Rolemodels, Supernatural) and a commentary about how realistic/unrealistic they are to NZ larp?