National AGM 2022 : Announcement and Nominations

Kia ora koutou.

Announcement
NZLARPS will be holding its 2022 AGM on Friday 28th October at 6:30 PM.
Our Auckland and Wellington Regions will be hosting their Regional AGM on the same day, at the conclusion of the National.
Auckland AGM 2022
Wellington AGM 2022

We will be hosting meetings entirely online as in recent years, to allow more folks to attend.

If you are not a member yet, or if your membership in NZLARPs has lapsed, please consider joining, and participating in the AGMs. If you are unsure of your membership status, you can check it on http://nzlarps.org/ or by emailing secretary@nzlarps.org.
We will be contacting non-member nominators / nominees with information on how to join.

Business
Incorporated Societies Act
As noted by Alastair our Auckland Regional Director, @Bohemond4, and mentioned multiple times by @IdiotSavant, there has been a new law passed that relates to Incorporated Societies in New Zealand. While this is not urgent business, it is absolutely relevant to this incoming committee and all who follow for the next few years. I think it is a great time to represent the society and help shape how we will look as an organisation in the future. I’ve asked Alastair to speak briefly to this at the AGM.

Electing the Committee
Part of the business of the AGM is to elect a committee for the upcoming year. We are therefore calling for nominations for committee.

The closing date for nominations is 6:30 PM Friday 21st October (i.e. 7 days before the AGM). The gap is to allow time for online or email voting. It is recommended that interested candidates ensure they are nominated and seconded well before the deadline.

Every candidate for committee must be proposed and seconded by two members, but they do not themselves need to be members at the time of nomination.

Nominations can be made by posting to the thread below, or by email to secretary@nzlarps.org. Any emailed nominations will be posted here.

There are five positions available.

• President - The President of the society shall be responsible for overall running of society, promoting the vision of the society, chair committee meetings, work for consensus in the committee, cast deciding vote in case of ties, attend meetings as society representative, liaising with all regional directors to coordinate the workings of the Society across New Zealand, managing matters related to the core function of the society, the first point of contact for those wishing to contact the society.
  • Secretary - Maintain the national membership database. Keep all club correspondence in an organised fashion. Send letters as required. Send reminders of meetings to committee members. Take minutes at meetings and distribute to committee members. Communicate decisions made by committee to members.
  • Treasurer - Responsible for society finances. Keep general ledger to track society expenditure and income. Pay all society accounts. Bank money received. Advise on availability of funds for projects and committee initiatives. Distribute budgets to project owners and receive repayments. Pass accounts to society accountant to be registered with the government. Present financial report of current position at committee meetings. File GST Return twice per year.
  • Marketing Officer - Identify online and offline communities. Devise strategies by which to promote larp games and events to these communities, with a view to recruiting new players into larping and potentially into joining NZLARPS. Coordinate marketing campaigns.
  • Information Technology Officer - Coordinate the creation and maintenance of information technology resources for the society such as the society’s website, online forum, communications technology for meetings, and the enablement of projects via information technology.

Each position must be held by a separate individual. If someone is elected to two positions, they must choose one, and the next highest-polling candidate (if any) fills the other.

Current Nominations

President

• Alastair Kirkby, nominated by Rowena Knill, seconded by Brad Thompson, accepted.
  • Robert Shaw, nominated by Malcolm Harbrow, seconded by Donna Giltrap, declined.
  • Anneke Smitheram, nominated by Robert Shaw, seconded by Malcolm Harbrow, declined.

Secretary

• Lilly Haughey, nominated by Evie Gray, seconded by Malcolm Harbrow, accepted.
  • Rowena Knill, nominated by Brad Thompson, seconded by Alastair Kirkby, accepted.

Treasurer

• Hamish Meads, nominated by Rowena Knill, seconded by Alastair Kirkby, accepted.

Marketing Officer

• Brad Thompson, nominated by Rowena Knill, seconded by Brad Thompson, accepted.

Information Technology Officer

• Evie Black (aka Evie Gray), nominated by Rowena Knill, seconded by Lilly Haughey, accepted.

Tena koutou katoa.

5 Likes

I, Rowena Knill, would like to nominate Alastair Kirkby for President. I would also like to nominate Brad Thompson for Marketing Officer.

If self nominations are accepted then I would nominate myself for Secretary. (If not then I would express my interest).

3 Likes

I, Brad Thompson, would like to second Alastair Kirkby for President and nominate (or second) Rowena Knill for Secretary.
I second my nomination for Marketing Officer and accept my nomination.

4 Likes

I, Alastair Kirkby, accept my nomination for President and second Brad Thompson’s nomination for Marketing Officer (if required) and second Rowena Knill’s nomination for Secretary (if required).

3 Likes

I, Rowena Knill, would like to nominate Evangeline Gray (Evie Black) for Information Technology Officer.

2 Likes

I, Lilly Haughey, Would like to second Evie black for IT officer.

2 Likes

I accept my nomination for IT officer (does my legal name matter? Because it’s not Black, that’s just what I use online :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Indeed it does need to be legal given the responsibilities - at least my interpretation anyway.

If anyone would like to Edit, perhaps, I’m Evangeline Gray, legally speaking.

That’s been officially edited, but for ease of continuing we can use your online name as long as legal one is specified. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure this is entirely true. If it is, then almost all previous elections did this part incorrectly. Its been common to just use shortened first names, and single initial last names (or none at all).

3 Likes

I, Evie Gray, would like to nominate Lilly Haughey for secretary.

2 Likes

I second Lilly Haughey for secretary

1 Like

Apologies for steering folks wrong then.

I, Rowena Knill, would like to nominate Hamish Meads for National Treasurer

I, Alastair Kirkby second the nomination of Hamish Meads for National Treasurer

1 Like

I would like to accept, this prestigious nomination

2 Likes

I nominate Rob Shaw for president.

1 Like

I second Rob Shaw for president

1 Like

Thank you both, I’ve taken a good while and had a decent think about this, and I’m going to decline this nomination.
The next time I run for and/or am voted in as President of NZLARPs I want to have more energy and time to devote to it, and with a new job right now I want to reserve my energy for that. I do appreciate the vote of confidence.

I will however take this moment to nominate someone else:
I, Robert Shaw, nominate Anneke Smitheram for National President.

Anneke is a dedicated individual who always connects with new and old members alike, and has been involved with NZLARPs committees for a couple years now. She is thorough and kind, and I’ve really enjoyed working with her on the Auckland Regional team, and of course getting up to IC shenanigans in Larp with her.

2 Likes