Introduce yourself

IdiotSavant is in Palmy North too, does a lot of stuff in regards to NZLARPs, probably the guy who left the NZLARPs cards lying around.

Guilty. Though I do my larping mostly in wellington, and havenā€™t played live Vampire in, um, 15 years (and I still have the scars).

It has been many, many years since Iā€™ve played live Vampire. And I missed it, so I decided to run it.

Hi, Iā€™m Jess
Iā€™ve never larped before, unless you count a get-together at the end of NaNoWriMo where we all turned up dressed (and acting) as our characters. Alas, study is finished, and now Iā€™m back in Auckland, surrounded by sane, real-world people. I can haz characters and dress-up?
Ahem.
But anyway, larping has been something Iā€™ve wanted to do pretty much since I heard it existed, and I can finally get around to starting. I guess now I wander over to the events forum, and see whatā€™s going onā€¦

[quote=ā€œJeskaGraceā€]Hi, Iā€™m Jess
Iā€™ve never larped before, unless you count a get-together at the end of NaNoWriMo where we all turned up dressed (and acting) as our characters. Alas, study is finished, and now Iā€™m back in Auckland, surrounded by sane, real-world people. I can haz characters and dress-up?
Ahem.
But anyway, larping has been something Iā€™ve wanted to do pretty much since I heard it existed, and I can finally get around to starting. I guess now I wander over to the events forum, and see whatā€™s going onā€¦[/quote]

Chimera, in August, is a good place to try a variety of larps. Check out the forum for it.

If youā€™re super-enthused to try larp out immediately and willing to travel, thereā€™s a weekend convention called Hydra in Wellington in two weekā€™s time

Hydra is like Chimeraā€™s younger sibling, it runs for the whole weekend and there are lots of different games to play.

Would be best to sign up immediately if youā€™re keen for Hydra, so they can send your character sheets. 2 weeks is probably just enough to read the characters and have a little think about costumes.

Iā€™ll definitely have a look at Chimera.
Hydra, though, is a bit soon for something so far away. Iā€™d have to get time off, and thatā€™s not going to happen on such short notice.
Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œJeskaGraceā€]Iā€™ll definitely have a look at Chimera.
Hydra, though, is a bit soon for something so far away. Iā€™d have to get time off, and thatā€™s not going to happen on such short notice.
Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:[/quote]
Well, if youā€™re after stuff in Wellington with more notice, thereā€™s a campaign game here in October (10-12th) if you feel adventurous. Itā€™s called 33AR and we always have more crew slots. :smiling_imp: (Crew basically play any character the players interact with that isnā€™t another player. Townspeople, allies, enemies, irate ex-spouses, and so on. No previous experience needed)

facebook.com/events/2438831 ā€¦ 2/?fref=ts

hello iā€™m alexā€¦iā€™m 19 and i have been wanting to do larp for awhile now, i am looking for a group and would love any help i live in mt Albert auckland if i could get some tips and help i would be very grateful

Hi Alex, welcome!

Other resources here are nzlarps on Facebook facebook.com/groups/nzlarps/

And facebook.com/groups/Whatislarp/

And the current big larp facebook.com/groups/573086502745678/)

And here in Hamilton facebook.com/groups/HamiltonlarpNZ/

And of course Chimera: nzlarps.org/chimera/

Its next weekend, but there are still vacancies, and it is very beginner-friendly. You can try a variety of types of games and see what you like. If youā€™re worried about costuming, ask, and people will sort you out.

(Iā€™m looking for players for Moorstepper on lloegyr on Friday night. While I have limited baggage allowance, I can bring spare costume to help)

that would be cool, i signed up to go yesterday

Thatā€™s awesome! There will be people in red hats who are specifically there to help out any new people :slight_smile:

Stats: Human, male, 44 years.
Special abilities: Sarcasm. Also once per day may lower the tone of a conversation with a dodgy comment

Greetings! Canā€™t believe that it has taken me this long to discover this ā€“ I came across LARPing through some online podcasts on cosplaying, then saw the booth at this yearā€™s Armageddon (I didnā€™t have much time to talk as I was chaperoning a friendā€™s 10 year old at the time, but I took some literature and found this site from there).

I have not LARPed before, but have a background in theatre and improv, and coupled with a love of costumes and prop building, I figure this is something Iā€™d like to explore. I also have some experience of tabletop RPGs and a moderate obsession with the sci-fi and fantasy genresā€¦ (and recent leanings towards steampunk tooā€¦).

I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks, finally decided to sign up and make myself knownā€¦

[quote=ā€œCyberRodentā€]Stats: Human, male, 44 years.
Special abilities: Sarcasm. Also once per day may lower the tone of a conversation with a dodgy comment

Greetings! Canā€™t believe that it has taken me this long to discover this ā€“ I came across LARPing through some online podcasts on cosplaying, then saw the booth at this yearā€™s Armageddon (I didnā€™t have much time to talk as I was chaperoning a friendā€™s 10 year old at the time, but I took some literature and found this site from there).

I have not LARPed before, but have a background in theatre and improv, and coupled with a love of costumes and prop building, I figure this is something Iā€™d like to explore. I also have some experience of tabletop RPGs and a moderate obsession with the sci-fi and fantasy genresā€¦ (and recent leanings towards steampunk tooā€¦).

I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks, finally decided to sign up and make myself knownā€¦[/quote]

Welcome to Diatribe! Glad to hear that the Armageddon stand led you here.

Lots of larp in Auckland this year, you should be able to find your way into some great games.

Greetings, fellow adventurers (and villains),

My name is Iain and I just did my first LARP by crewing for the second part of Moonbright run by Prema etc.

I used to do some Medieval Reinactment back when I was at Auckland Uni and have a fairly long history playing TTRPGs. So LARPing is like the hobby that I should have been doing all along but never got around to it!

I had a blast crewing and the community seems very friendly so I think I will stick around :mrgreen:

Looking forward to more good times,
Iain.

Hey Iain, glad you had fun. Iā€™ve talked to you about some of the other games on at the moment, and you can find more information here on diatribe or on various facebook groups (there are some links in the posts above about stuff too). Look forward to seeing you at the next thing!

Hey, Iā€™m Zach, Iā€™m from Palmerston North and Iā€™m looking to enter into the world of larping. Iā€™ve been playing different tabletop rpgs for years and now I want to try this. I was hoping to get into a more classic Medieval Fantasy LARP, but I canā€™t seem to find any that happen in the Manawatu. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Hey, dude, good to hear from you. Larping is a bit thin on the ground in the Manawatu (although steel fighting really isnā€™t) - we have several P Nthians who come down to Wellington to get their regular fix and all.

Steph

Hi, Iā€™m Lee - Iā€™m involved in LARP in Christchurch, and Iā€™ve met a few of you at KapCon this year. Iā€™ve been involved in the LARP scene down here for a couple of years - I played in my first LARP at Buckets of Dice in 2014, and enjoyed it so much that I headed the group that ran the first Phoenix convention later that year, and Iā€™ve written two flagships and am working on a third. Iā€™m hoping to get some more Christchurch people up to North Island events, and get some more North Islanders down here :smiley:

4 Likes