How to roleplay wounds?

I’ve been thinking that one of my roleplaying weaknesses is wrt feeling the effects of being wounded. Somehow it slips my mind that “this limb” is incapacitated, or at least very sore due to being wounded not so long ago.

Most of my characters avoid combat, but somehow I end up getting involved anyway, and being hit. It doesn’t matter which genre exactly - a hit from a sword/gun/laser should end up having the same general effect on the character ie wounded, although it may vary wrt the game rules how incapacitated and how quickly one recovers from it.

I am curious what helps other people to roleplay being wounded.

When I am roleplaying I generally pull on past experiences to help me feel the emotional attachment that the character would be feeling. But I’ve never really been involved in a large accident with lots of pain and blood, and definitely not been shot or hit with a sword. So this strategy is not helping me in this area. I have a strong visual memory, and so am I’m not a fan of horror so, please don’t just say “go watch this, it will show you what its really like.”

I don’t think you are the only one. It’s hard to remember a fake wound in the heat of combat. It’s doubly hard to continue to roleplay a fake wound when something is chasing you and your ic survival depends on moving at an uninjured pace!

The pre-bloodied, rather than clean, bandages we had at Witch House were quite helpful in that regard. People are more likely to remember a wound if there’s some visual representation involved. Get it tied tightly enough that you can feel it and it acts as a reminder. If it’s your sword arm, switch your weapon to the other hand. Hold an injured arm to your chest as if it was in a sling and don’t let it down until the right amount of time has passed (or have a sling, if there’s time :slight_smile: Abdominal injuries make it hard and painful to breathe and legs, of course, you can limp on if you can remember.

And don’t stress too much. In larp, we’re all big damn heroes right? Way too tough to let a little dismemberment get in our way :wink:

One of the interesting experiences about the German LARP was how well-played injuries were. I felt like I really under-performed in that aspect, because everyone seemed to act like they were really in pain! Even though I knew they were roleplaying, I still felt anxious!

So I’ve been thinking about this as well. And it helps that I’ve been recently injured. So that’s made me think about the other injuries I’ve had. I haven’t had any real serious injuries, but here are my observations from the ones I’ve had, posted here in case this is helpful to you.

With a significant injury, I note I become withdrawn. I’m totally focused on myself, assessing the injury in my head. So I’m not really looking at other people - and when I am, it’s usually in response to being asked a direct question (“Where does it hurt?”)

My vocalisations of pain come in response to movement - being moved or trying to move myself. Sort of along the lines of 'Ok it doesn’t hurt so bad, I can probably move OMGITHURTREALBADWHENIMOVE!!!"

Other observations - my self-consciousness/dignity can go out the window. I just want the pain to stop. Do whatever needs doing. Just make it stop. I might shiver, from shock or from stress (or because it’s cold and I’m no longer moving). The pain might make me sick to my stomach. And I’ve found I don’t tend to cry. I do that later, once I’m safe/recovering.

“OMGITHURTREALBADWHENIMOVE!!!” lol and yes I can appreciate that.
Thanks for your comments.

Reminds about the real life requirement for many games to not scream, to stop the real life police turning up.
I recall whimpering a lot.

My experience is that I often don’t feel much pain until well after what ever has caused it is over (most commonly, sports games). I will notice I’m injured and deal with it, but until I cool down and the adrenaline leaves there is very little real pain. It’s the following morning it hurts the most. Often around 3-5am.

I cut my leg open pretty badly when I was in high school. I was… fascinated by how little it hurt, and mostly worried about getting blood everywhere. It hurt a lot when it was healing though.

I’ve not yet broken any bones, so I’m not sure what that feels like, or how I would react. I also have very little experience of injury whilst not doing something vaguely physical.

When my son broke his arm, he gave this horrendous shriek, so different from any other sound he’s ever made. Then he went very, quiet, very pale and very protective of the arm. He didn’t really talk or cry or anything.

Yeah I have had the same experience that Naomi has had. I broke an ankle playing Ultimate, I knew I hurt it but just thought it was a sprain until I went to the hospital to get it xrayed. I also broke my arm in 2 places playing indoor netball, but I didn’t even notice. Others heard the loud crack which I totally missed. I kept playing but just noticed I didn’t have the strength in that arm that I usually would. It was only after when I put some ice on it that the pain came for me and that started with an ache.

It’s not quite answering the question but when fake blood is used in games people are more likely to treat you as though you’re injured generally reminding you to play it up.

I particularly like the idea of slightly too tight bloodied bandages as a physical reminder.

The whole HP/AP game mechanic is a bit of a hack. It works as a game, but it doesn’t really reflect reality.

I tend to RP whatever wound I last got as I get down to 1-2HP, but otherwise ignore them as scuffs and grazes.

As Jackie says, withdrawal and inward reflection are probably likely after the fighting all quietens down.

Had a badly broken nose once. Very unpleasant with blood gushing out in crazy quantities, faintness, nausea. Blurred vision, loss of balance, nearly passing out. Painful at the time.

Mostly roleplaying only the last or most severe of your wounds makes a lot of sense, Derek. Especially in high hp games, the number of wounds we can take before being incapacitated is a bit ridiculous. :slight_smile: The brain always focuses on the worst source of pain.

Adding to Derek’s comments - hit points have always meant how much general scuffing up one can take before one is truly injured. It has always represented minor wounds, cuts, bruises. For the benefit of the roleplaying experience, I try to shout, flinch, pull back whenever I am hit. For double hits (or worse), I treat these as immediately painful, things that get my attention.

So like Derek, my last couple of HP represent the point at which my body is starting to scream it’s vulnerability… and like him this is how I role-play wounds.

As for 0 HP… seriously wounded to the point they are incapacitated… well mostly people go into shock. They go pale, they get quiet, withdrawn. They stop moving. Just like the army adds they had a while back… who needs the attention most? The injured person bawling or the pale quiet one?

The next layer here is what is the attitude required of the game being played? Fantasy can be quite pulpy, our HP show our heroic endurance, the ability to roll with a blow and make the consequence less than a normal person might experience.

For horror, it may well mean you roll around screaming from horrific wounds. For location based systems I would definitely recommend a higher level of pain or injury roleplaying.

Could we do better? yeah. Is it needed? Maybe, depends on the game. Personally the biggest reminder of how serious wounds were was in St. Wolfgangs. Wounds persisted, healing was very very slow (for the most part). The wounded tended to huddle in a sort of triage area after being “healed” and waiting for wounds to close.

So my thoughts are - if wounds are meant to be serious then give the players bugger all HP. If you start with 2HP then I guarantee fighting will be done differently. More desperately. But whatever you are looking to do, it has to be part of the games mindset… be it SWVH, Teonn or Witch House.

I had a thought about watching Rugby, which is probably where I see the most actual injuruies occuring in my life. The players tend to drop, grab the bit that hurts, and grimace. Not a lot of screaming. Just writing and a really screwed up face - and withdrawing from the outside world.

Unless it’s Buck Shelford :wink:

Hmm, so lots of comments about going all quiet, which I accept is realistic. But does lead onto the question about whether is this the best way to roleplay it?
WRT getting healers to come over to help, and/or how would it let other players know this is what you’re roleplaying, or are you just tired as a player. Or is it just taken in context of your situation, and the people around you.

Depends on the Larp surely. If you’re in a quiet, suspense filled larp, then the quiet expression of pain would probably suit the atmosphere best. However if you were in a big melodramatic larp, then making a big deal about every wound, complete with declarations of agony and over-dramatic gestures, would probably be more entertaining.

Hannah’s right about environment being important. There are definitely locations where screaming and shouting things like “OMG you just SHOT me” are just not appropriate. I remember being told off for screaming a bit too enthusiastically when I was (larp) attacked at night in the Domain in case someone called the police. :blush:

Regarding game mechanics? If you’re bleeding out and going to die… make noise. Don’t let your character die because no one noticed you there. :frowning:

[quote=“theotherphoenix”]

Regarding game mechanics? If you’re bleeding out and going to die… make noise. Don’t let your character die because no one noticed you there. :frowning:[/quote]

The weak hoarse calls of the dying. Pain filled, rapid, desperate. Pleading. Begging. A scream of frustration. Then quiet, a few moments of awful realisation and then darkness.

Of all of the things about larp battles that make it seem so harsh are the cries for help afterwards that make it feel so awful (assuming I have managed to remain upright).

Wandering around the ground littered with bodies of your friends calling for a healer.

Finding an Ovidian crying out for blood… and giving them an exposed wrist… oh wait that happened at Broken Pathways.

I also notice people limping and limbs hanging down, or being clutched into them and trying to make themselves small. All indicates to me you are hurt. Admittedly in character I tend to go for the people down for the count first as I can often do the most good there.

But it is hard in a crowded loud environment. So exaggerating it often helps. Even if you aren’t down to your last hp, looking exhausted after a battle where you armour has been chewed up and you lose most your hp makes sense.

My pet peeve in the larping world is the roleplaying around Sap. It’s treated as a magical sock of sleep when it’s actually a heavy rock, in a sock, whacked on the back of the head with force enough to give you a concussion. I like to treat it as highly painful and lasting head pain.

What really helps for wounds or permanent injuries is wearing something uncomfortable, that bites into your skin and hurts in general. That just lets you immerse yourself into the right headspace. The growth vests of Witch House had me cramped and in pain throughout the game and it was great to take me into that depressive state when you are dealing with continual pain.