Harry potter

Hi everybody,

Today I walked by Auckland Girls Grammar school in Hopetoun street and thought it would be the perfect spot for a Harry potter LARP… Does anyone have a connection at this school ? Otherwise I suppose that a stranger asking a school manager : well can we use your school for having adults playing harry potter during the week end won’t really appeal…

And coincidentally, I’ve just discovered the MIT Assassin’s Guilr larp Harry Potter Year 7: Hogwarts Under Seige, set during Snape’s headmastership after the death of Dumbledore.

Unfortunately, its scheduled to run for 10 days (!). But it could probably be cut down, if someone wants to extract all the character sheets (they have an online system which renders from LaTeX) and take to it with a hatchet.

This is indeed a very interesting source of data/ideas/inspiration ! You can even read the character sheets !

Harry Potter larp sounds interesting!

I always thought that St-Matthews-in-the-City would be perfect as a hall in Hogwarts. In the movies Hogwarts has very churchy architecture. Would be pricey, but that church is very open-minded about who they hire to.

I think some Harry Potter would be awesome.

If I was running this (and I’m not so feel free to ignore).

I think it would be great to cast people in age appropriate(ish) roles. So old farts like me would be the teachers etc. Young whipper snappers student types playing children in their last year, then concentrate the story around these older students, or alternatively maybe concentrate the story on the staff?

It wouldn’t have to be set at Hogwarts either, in the films there are other ‘magic schools’ around the world, what about setting it in the NZ one?

Hmmm, now I find myself inspired to write something in around five years time when the next generation of potential larpers (here in Wellington at least) will be hitting the 11-13 age group. I’ll be back in five years to talk about it again :wink:

I could easily rustle up a bunch currently in that age group if you want a preliminary, idea searching, pre-run for your game Bryn, just so you can have all the tricky stuff sorted for in the future. :wink:

St. Peters School in Cambridge has a dining hall that looks much like the Hogwarts one. Not only this but they hire out to events over the holiday breaks. No idea of costs but they can do the lot. Accomodation, dining hall, class rooms and they have a ptach of forest too.

I could easily rustle up a bunch currently in that age group if you want a preliminary, idea searching, pre-run for your game Bryn, just so you can have all the tricky stuff sorted for in the future. :wink:[/quote]

Heh, I was wondering if maybe someone else did it first I could steal their ideas!

This got me thinking about which Harry Potter spells would suit larp well.

There are some with no visual effects required which seem absolutely perfect for larp. Like Expelliarmus - you’d just throw your wand away. Confundo, Crucio, Petrificus Totalus, Silencio, Stupefy and Obliviate could all be easily acted out by the target. Episkey for healing, Finite Incantatem to dispel magic effects, Protego to reverse them back at the caster. Piertotum Locomotor could be used to bring statues to life, if someone was playing the statue. That’s ten spells - you wouldn’t want too many in the game if you wanted players to remember them all.

As a thought for a magic system, each player could have a list of spells they have mastery of, and can cast as much as they want. They’d also have a list of spells that require effort (either because they haven’t mastered them or because they’re tiring), and each player could have a number of Energy points or something that they can spend to cast those limited-use spells.

Ryan you found one of my inspiration place for this LARP (the wikipedia page with the spells), and indeed it sounds all good.

But if we don’t have an insider in the school or a suitable location it probably won’t work… And I suppose that with my French accent, if I go to this girl school without knowing anyone I might not have a chance…

OH my gosh!

I dont know the school, but all that know me know im a massive potterhead and absolutly addicted to Harry Potter! Would love to do this and help organise (but not Gm cause i want to play) if some does want to do this. Auckland Boys is similar i think and i have had a 5 day church run event there over new years (for about 500 Young single adults). It has an amazing hall that does look so much like hogwarts it was nicknamed the Harry Potter Hall.

:smiley::D:D

A few of us have been sort of working on an HP LARP for a while. It’s not really gone anywhere yet, but we’ve got a fair few character concepts, and a basic premise down on paper.
Essentially it’s set in the present day, at the Minister of Magic’s gala dinner after the first game of the Quidditch World Cup, featuring mix of canon characters (mostly minor ones, so they’re more open to player interpretation) and original characters.

I’m not sure if it’s going anywhere quickly, but it’s certainly being thought about.

How would we be sorted into our houses? I mean, if we were first years? Or would there be different houses to the ones the HP world?

i’m in.

I personally would be very keen to play in a Harry potter larp. It’d be cool for maybe a one off weekend game? I don’t think the short 3 hour game would do it justice

Harry Potter larp would be my dream come true >o>

I want to play! Pick me!

Hufflepuffian represent!

I would be quite cool as was suggested before to instead create the “new zealand hogwarts” with it’s own houses and own problems etc since the wizarding world is international