Fall of the Jaguar Gods

Hi,

Anyone know when characters are going to be out for the flagship LARP? Because, you know, Hydra is 3 weeks away, and putting together a costume for a culture which is probably not like anything you’ve every LARPed before can be kind of time consuming.

Jon

Not at the moment sorry. I’m on a big Character Drive this weekend. Naomi is having a look at the site on Sunday.
I would like to say that rough guides will be out sunday evening. But I cannot guarantee that.

[quote=“Jon Ball”]Anyone know when characters are going to be out for the flagship LARP? Because, you know, Hydra is 3 weeks away, and putting together a costume for a culture which is probably not like anything you’ve every LARPed before can be kind of time consuming. [/quote]For this, I figure that ‘indicative of the culture’ rather than ‘detailed’ is the only way to go. At least everyone’s in the same boat, I guess. Are there going to be any costuming guidelines?

We’ll see what we can put together in the way of costuming guides. In general, warm clothing would be a good idea, since April in Wellington is not known to be warm. I know warm clothing probably isn’t what most people think of when they think Mayan, but we’d rather you didn’t freeze. If it helps, raid other South American costuming (Aztec, Incan, Olmec) for ideas. Mayan’s put a lot of emphasis on elaborate clothing, but it was mostly the top half. I’d highly recommend pants, even if it might seem unhistorical. Wear them under a breechcloth if you have to. :wink:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_clothing

This site looks pretty good: snomnh.ou.edu/collections-re … Parts.html
And there are some good pictures here: nimpot.com/index.asp

Challenge Accepted.

Challenge Accepted.[/quote]

Ahh… it really wasn’t a challenge. The larp will be three hours of not a lot of movement, and may even be outside if the weather is dry enough (around a fire pit, but still outside*). If you want to be challenged, there is a huge duck pond/lake sort of thing at the venue that looks perfect for jumping in to. I’ve only done it in summer, but I bet it’s even warmer in April. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or, there’s the swimming pool…

• This is the main reason I want people to dress warm. I really want to run this outside.

Next year, we need someone to run Prawn…

Next year, we need someone to run Prawn…[/quote]

Someone should run it this year. Looks like there is room in the time table after midnight. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Adrexia”]We’ll see what we can put together in the way of costuming guides. In general, warm clothing would be a good idea, since April in Wellington is not known to be warm. I know warm clothing probably isn’t what most people think of when they think Mayan, but we’d rather you didn’t freeze. If it helps, raid other South American costuming (Aztec, Incan, Olmec) for ideas. Mayan’s put a lot of emphasis on elaborate clothing, but it was mostly the top half. I’d highly recommend pants, even if it might seem unhistorical. Wear them under a breechcloth if you have to. :wink:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_clothing[/quote]

Looks like there’s some potential to reuse Achaean costume.

Also, apparently Pete’s Emporium in Porirua has ponchos for $15, which make an OK Manta

Challenge Accepted.[/quote]

I’ve also been told to tell people they aren’t allowed to jump over the bon fire. I feel like a sell-out. :wink:

[quote=“Adrexia”]
I’ve also been told to tell people they aren’t allowed to jump over the bon fire. I feel like a sell-out. :wink:[/quote]

But but but… I’m Russian, I’m not people… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Uncle Vanya”][quote=“Adrexia”]
I’ve also been told to tell people they aren’t allowed to jump over the bon fire. I feel like a sell-out. :wink:[/quote]

But but but… I’m Russian, I’m not people… :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

I’ve tried to tell people that, but they just think I’m being racist. :unamused:

Character assignment received. Thanks guys

I got mine, too. Ta.

It has been mentioned that Costume Cave have a few good items for this LARP.

Thanks for my character guys.

It does, although a few less now I’ve been!

The lovely and extremely talented Kara is giving me a crash course in jaguar pattern facepainting. If I don’t suck at it, I’d be happy to paint a few faces in that vein for people at the flagship.

Totally Frocked in Lower Hutt currently have some great gear.

Trousers, arm bands, necklaces, cloaks.

I also have a poncho and a pair of trousers for someone to use if they get stuck and want them.

Well sorted out a costume for this on the weekend. I’m not entirely confident with it; I feel more Apache than Mayan. Still, it’s impossible to be unhappy in a poncho.