What would a kiwi blockbuster larp look like?

Over the past few years we’ve seen a trend of international “blockbuster” larps: high-end, expensive venues, low barriers to entry (so often popular IP and with costume rental), and so easily accessible to non-larpers. Starting in Sweden with Monitor Celestra, then moving to Poland with College of Wizardry and Fairweather Manor, they’re now popping up all over the place: New World Magischola and Wave One in the USm CoW spinoffs in Germany and the UK, Legion: A Siberian Story in the Czech Republic.

So, what would a kiwi blockbuster larp look like? What sorts of things could we do here if someone was crazy and deep-pocketed enough to front it? What unique selling points could we use to promote local larp tourism?

The obvious answer would be a Middle Earth/Lord of the Rings game, but from what I understand of the Tolkien estate, that would be a non-starter from the word go.

Some kind of bush-survival game? Hunger games, maybe? Don’t know if it would qualify as blockbuster, or if it would have enough depth for a full week/weekend game but something based on “What We Do in the Shadows”?

1 Like

[quote=“Viperion, post:2, topic:21595”]
The obvious answer would be a Middle Earth/Lord of the Rings game, but from what I understand of the Tolkien estate, that would be a non-starter from the word go.[/quote]

Yeah. Though could you do a serial-numbers-filed-off version using the landscape, in the same way that College of Wizardry isn’t Harry Potter (anymore)?

Though I guess the problem would be finding an iconic NZ landscape that wasn’t in Middle Earth.

I think What We Do In The Shadows would make a great larp, but I’m not sure its a weekend game.