Wellington larpwriter's workshop?

Who wants to learn how to write a larp?

A couple of people have suggested doing a one-day writer’s workshop to give people the basics on writing a bog-standard theatre-style larp, and I’d like to assess whether there is sufficient demand to make it worthwhile. The basic idea is that we use Petone Community House, have a (very) short intro, then work on writing a small, simple larp together (8-10 players; no more than two character sheets per writer, and ideally one). The final product isn’t expected to be perfect, but it should give experience in the core skill of writing a character sheet.

There would probably be pre-workshop homework (there’s a presentation and a few how-tos that might help). Expected cost would be $50 / number of participants, so likely to be no more than $10. Catering is raid a cafe / bring a plate. Expected date is almost certainly late April / early May - in the gap between Hydra and Armageddon.

Key questions: are you interested? If so, do you prefer a Saturday or a Sunday?

More information:

We’re doing this, on Sunday May 1, from 10am, at Petone Community House. More details on the site linked above, or on the Facebook event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/252424108438892/

So, its this weekend! So far we’re looking at about 7 participants. We don’t know what larp we’re writing yet, but we’ll try and find something.

For those wondering how this went: we had six participants, including myself. People had done their homework (or at least read the slides for the Diewald video), so we went straight for a discussion of things people enjoyed and didn’t enjoy in larps, which generated a few interesting points.

After that, we talked about what larp we were going to write, and settled on a “Lord of the Rings bar”. And so the Inn of the Clumsy Carthorse was born - somewhere near Bree, where Bilbo had stopped on the way home from his Adventure. We threw ideas at the board, wrote a character each, broke for lunch, then critiqued them. Which generated some more ideas, but as energy was flagging it was time to call it a day.

Currently the game is on Google Drive, and a couple of the authors have already been working on it. Hopefully we’ll see it run sometime

1 Like

If we were to repeat this this year (say, in early May), would anyone be interested in attending?

Yes. (I know how I write larps. I’m interested in how other people put them together.)