Website and Hungry Shark Week 2013

Hi all,

Apologies for the unusual delay in getting the website up this year - I’ve hit an unfortunate nexus point of a lot of commitments at once, and then have been sick for a couple of weeks longer than anyone should have a cold, so Chimera is a little behind this year.

The website will go live at 7pm on June 1st.

Hungry Shark Week will open at 7pm on Tuesday 4th June and will go until midnight Tuesday 11th June.

Thank you all for your patience!

You got the Hydra flu, didn’t you…
(It took a lot of people down. :frowning:)

Thanks for the update :smiley:

Hmm, not much longer to wait then. I might go and boil an egg.

R

Hi guys, just wanted to let everyone know that Chimera is on track for website launch as promised tomorrow :slight_smile: Thank you all so much for your patience this year!

The Chimera 2013 website is now online, despite the best efforts of Orcon Internet in trying to stop me as I was uploading the files.

A reminder that Hungry Shark Week opens at 7pm on Tuesday 4th June.

Do all the games which use live combat indicate it?

As someone travelling up from Wellington, the feasibility of transporting gear is an important factor in game selection.

This bit really shocked me in how much they care about players’ needs these days. Totally amazing.

Excellent. Solves that problem then.

what is that? i don’t understand.

what is that? i don’t understand.[/quote]

Game registration. Traditionally this was done on a first come, first-served basis, so people would circle the website like hungry sharks the night registration opened. Now we have a whole week, after which Anna will crunch the preferences and try and come up with a fair allocation of games.

what is that? i don’t understand.[/quote]

Game registration. Traditionally this was done on a first come, first-served basis, so people would circle the website like hungry sharks the night registration opened. Now we have a whole week, after which Anna will crunch the preferences and try and come up with a fair allocation of games.[/quote]

Yep, this is correct. It was both flattering and a little terrifying watching the inbox fill up before my very eyes when we used to do Hungry Shark Nights - when I was processing the registrations and was up to the 40th registration and the timestamp was still only 7:08pm, I realised we needed a better system…

All registrations received between Tuesday 4th June 7pm and midnight on Tuesday 11th June will be processed with equal priority. Mike Curtis helpfully wrote me some amazing software to help me allocate people to games, so I can see very easily who has how many first/second/third choice games, and I can shuffle people around easily. The upshot is, my goal is to make sure as many people get their preferences as possible, I normally have a pretty good success rate, it’s a tricky juggling act but I try to make everyone happy :smiley:

The really amazing part is that Anna hasn’t discovered this piece of code yet:

if(playerName == "Mike Curtis")
{
  GivePlayerAllFirstPreferences("Mike Curtis");
}

Works like a charm every time… :stuck_out_tongue:

Chimera 2013 Registrations Are Open!

The Chimera 2013 registration and game selection form is live! Go hungry sharks, go!

If anyone has any questions or queries, feel free to email :slight_smile:

How and when do I need to put up a diatribe forum for KiL Quest III? :unamused:

How do you mean, TK? You can put a post up any time in the Chimera forums. Game lists won’t be finished until June 16th and then you will have access to the Chimera GM backstage

That’s answered my question! I’ll have something up by the end of the week. :mrgreen:

OK then. I just poked my nose into the Chimera email account, and player registrations are up to 31 people in [checks time] 42 minutes. It’s nice to be popular!
ETA: Also just noticed that there’s no Game Mastering option in Round 6.

That’s been pointed out but I’m too afraid to edit the form with people using it right now…maybe in the dead of night :slight_smile:

[quote=“Stephanie”]OK then. I just poked my nose into the Chimera email account, and player registrations are up to 31 people in [checks time] 42 minutes. It’s nice to be popular!
ETA: Also just noticed that there’s no Game Mastering option in Round 6.[/quote]
Which, if fixed, means Anna will also need to add a Game Mastering game to Round 6 in the database as well (via either a SQL script or the Add New Game button).

The Chimera Larp Convention application is up-and-running, and it automatically receives registration messages and loads the participant and game preference info into a database for Anna to administer (e.g. assign games based on preferences). We loaded 46 applications in a few seconds tonight, and already some games are oversubscribed (that’s OK, Hungry Sharks all get a bite at the larping pie and the app makes it easy for Anna to ensure the best distribution of first preferences).

Next year’s version will include new features such as payment tracking and reports.

Hydra organisers, PM me if you are interested in using this application :slight_smile: