Virtual Peaky

Peaky is a UK larp-writing weekend, which has produced a lot of widely-played small games (An Ecumenical Matter, Diamond Geezers, Burning Orchid, Best of the Wurst) (it also has a US version). This year, for obvious reasons, it was cancelled. So they got together and held a virtual one instead. Here’s Steve Hatherley’s writeup:

I’m wondering if there’d be any interest in doing an NZ one. Our last pukepuke weekend in Wellington wasn’t successful (none of the larps has ever been finished), but would people be interested in trying again?

3 Likes

I’m more interested in p&p games or just general writing than writing larps, sadly… I’d be the first person to sign up for just a generic creative weekend, though!

Unfortunately, the virtual format doesn’t really work for me either. My other half isn’t interested in doing any of this but we’d want to spend the weekend doing some stuff together if we’re in the same place. It’d be a bit antisocial for me to just disappear to a room when that’s what we do all week (by necessity) while we’re working from home.

I’m curious, though: how do other people solve this sort of thing?

1 Like

Ahem… Hrm… RISE FROM THE DEAD, THREAD OF OLD!!!

I just checked with Petone Community House and they’d have a room for a one-day Tuhitihu on Saturday 19 September from 10am to 4pm.

Would anyone be interested in joining this? I intend to brainstorm an idea I had that will probably never see the light of day. But I know that quite a few other people got a bit bored during lockdown as well.

(And what’s the best way to link to this in Discord?)

That’s election day.

Oh God. No wonder they have space then…

Chalk that up to another failed attempt of me organising anything at all in that case.

Voting doesn’t take all day - I have work in the morning as well, but I’d be interested in dropping in if you do manage to get something going :slight_smile:

Oh God. No wonder they have space then…

Is the objection that the Community Centre needs the space as a polling booth? Because otherwise I’ve never found that voting takes more than 5 minutes, and I sometimes do a special vote early at a library anyway. (Or make a group trip to a Petone polling booth all together even.)

Chalk that up to another failed attempt of me organising anything at all in that case.

It’s like this for everyone. I guarantee - whoever in this community you think is the slickest organiser - they’ve got a major Arggh moment or ten under their belt.

I would enjoy coming along - I haven’t done much larp writing lately and it’s a good itch to scratch. :slight_smile:

Is the objection that the Community Centre needs the space as a polling booth? Because otherwise I’ve never found that voting takes more than 5 minutes, and I sometimes do a special vote early at a library anyway. (Or make a group trip to a Petone polling booth all together even.)

In my case, there’s the reluctance to do anything on election day (or indeed,before the election), plus the need to advance vote if I want to make it down. Obviously the latter is not an issue for people living in Wellington.

(And I agree. Voting takes 5 minutes, and you can do it from anywhere or at anytime in the two weeks before polling day - though you may need to special vote if you don’t live in the Hutt, and that may take longer).

It’s like this for everyone. I guarantee - whoever in this community you think is the slickest organiser - they’ve got a major Arggh moment or ten under their belt.

Oh yes. Many many Argghs. But you just muddle through.

I am keen to try writing a larp - I have actual guilt over not doing one yet this year - but I expect my brain to be full of Other Things until 20 September. And sadly, I’ve never yet been able to work out how to do an NZ political satire larp :frowning:

And sadly, I’ve never yet been able to work out how to do an NZ political satire larp

You know, that made me think of writing a political satire larp and then inviting the local candidates to come and join us. You never know, they might turn up. (I think someone did a flat warming party in Auckland last election where that happened.) Oh well, maybe next election.

2 Likes

I actually had some thoughts on how to do this. You could do a game set up as the Youth wings of all the parties getting together to have a mixer, and make the characters comedy versions of colourful politicians from the past. (I would definitely make it people who have not been active for a couple of elections to cut down on hurt feelings.) So Piggy Muldoon and David Lange and King Dick Seddon as uni students out having a drink together. Maybe?

I was thinking of a horde larp, with a setup inspired by kiwi political satire The Pretender. An MP who has suddenly left their party and suddenly holds the balance of power and is waiting to be bought off. A few people in their office. Some dirty secrets and messy baggage. And a horde of people - representatives of other parties, journalists, lobbyists - banging on the door to ensure that the dumpster catches fire in amusing ways.