Turku LARP school of thought

Curious as to who has read this before?

http://www.mikepohjola.com/turku/manifesto.html

In essence a “total” immersionism style.

One larp I have found in the US is Avegost, there ruleset follows this ideal.

Rulebook attached.

It’s very quick to point out that some reasons for playing are really second-rate compared to others. Lots of fighting words all around, really.

And now I really want to try, and I’m pretty sure I could manage it, too. But not right now, because I’m tired.

Fateplay?

I’m not familiar with the term. Um, you know that technique where a book or a movie starts an act with an in media res tense scene, and you spend the rest of the act finding out how everybody got there? I think it could work. Not for newbie players, though (bless them).

Fate according to the Nordic larp wiki.

And here’s the original source from Erik Fatland: fate.laiv.org/fate/en_fate_ef.htm

It is old hat - it turned ten a few years ago - and you need to look at it as a deliberately inflammatory and extreme document (because that’s part of the larp manifesto game) and as a product of the GNS wars of the late 90’s and whatever play-styles were making people grumpy at the time (e.g. attention-seeking people with acting training?). The good idea in it is that immersion and being true to character and setting are important, and that players should strive for this, and try not to undermine it for other people. Obviously this is presented in an extreme monist form, because its a manifesto - but I don’t think anyone now would dispute the underlying idea that this is a big part of the fun of larp and something GMs and players should try and promote (in appropriate games etc).

The bad idea in it (slightly parodied in extreme form by the crack about the closet) is that players should expect no input or ownership of the game; our role is to be pawns in the GM-auteur’s artwork, no matter how unpleasant it is for us. To which the response is “who is paying who for this game?” If the players are paying, then they expect on some level to be entertained. If a GM wants meat-puppets for some live art-project, then they can pay commercial rates for them.

What you said reminds me of what they did at a Witchouse game, where Friday night stuff happened, then ended in an explosion, and we all went to bed for the night.

Game play the next day started with us waking up, and being interviewed by Them, and They were saying we had amnesia, but we all denied it absolutely. So They sent us somewhere for us to get our memories back. Which we do, and then there was an out-of game break.

We resume game that evening, at the point of the explosion, and carry on, to find out what our newly returned memories actually were. It was a simple twist, which made the amnesia roleplaying so utterly convincing, since we as players, were totally adamant that the last thing that happened was the explosion.

That sounds interesting.