The Rules for 33AR They *Don't* Tell You

Just because six months on an island with the same people is going to teach you a few things. Feel free to add to the list.

1. If the corpse is not being used for an experiment, burn it. We cannot stress this enough.
  2. Your character connections will provide you with more interesting fodder if they’re not all buddy-buddy. Having friends is great, but not many people like their friends unconditionally. The character connection that will get you the most plot is the one where you don’t quite know how to feel about them because a) they saved your mother from the demons and b) did it by using your father as a shield.
  3. If you want to interact with people, make it so your character can’t do certain things; trade, shoot arrows, read and write, etc.
  4. That person you met this morning might be a demon. They turn out to be with surprising frequency.
  5. Be very, very careful when getting married. Five out of six people would agree if they weren’t dead.

[quote=“musicforwolves”]

1. If the corpse is not being used for an experiment, burn it. We cannot stress this enough.[/quote]
    I object to the idea that you weren’t warned. There were posters up everywhere. You guys contributed the posters yourselves. There’s not much more we can do!

[quote=“musicforwolves”]
2) Your character connections will provide you with more interesting fodder if they’re not all buddy-buddy. Having friends is great, but not many people like their friends unconditionally. The character connection that will get you the most plot is the one where you don’t quite know how to feel about them because a) they saved your mother from the demons and b) did it by using your father as a shield.[/quote]
PvP! PvP! ahem

Also, backstories that contain unresolved issues are fantastic to work with.

Good
"My brother was killed by demons"
Better
"My brother was brutally murdered in our family home. The murderer took a family heirloom with our family crest on it, and I suspect it was to do with his dealings with the army because X, Y and Z."

Good
"Fell in love once, but it didn’t last"
Better
"The affair with Nicole was tempestuous, but it ended badly when her husband Bruce showed up and they ran off with the loot we’d spent the last six month accumulating. If I could just stop loving her I’ll happily shoot her the next time she shows up."

This way the NPC doesn’t have to walk up to you and say "Hi there, was your brother brutally murdered? I think it might have been me than done it. My bad."
Instead, an NPC can try to use the family heirloom to buy supplies and you can take it from there.

[quote=“musicforwolves”]
3) If you want to interact with people, make it so your character can’t do certain things; trade, shoot arrows, read and write, etc.
4) That person you met this morning might be a demon. They turn out to be with surprising frequency.[/quote]
Lies and Slander!!

[quote=“musicforwolves”]
5) Be very, very careful when getting married. Five out of six people would agree if they weren’t dead.[/quote]
Nothing to do with us.

OOC:

1. Make sure you tell the cook frequently that she is a wonderful person and how delicious and filling her food is. Because it’s true.
    2)Don’t put all the Nic/ks in the kitchen at the same time, it gets confusing.
  2. Take warm bedwear. It gets COLD.

IC:

1. If a self acknowledged serial killer turns up, be more than vaguely concerned. Now the whole camp agrees, but not after a bloodbath and 5 people dead.
    6A) Never, ever say, “I don’t believe you’ll kill me,” to anyone. Ever.

2. Be nice to the gypsies, they run the taverna.
    7B)Ignore any demeaning nicknames they give you. See above.
    7C) If you’re not going to be nice to the gypsies, make sure there’s enough of you to form a splinter tea drinking group.

8)Never, ever mention socks to Commander Blake. His socks do not smell. Not at all. He is very particular about his personal hygiene.

9)Don’t worry about your body ending up the Society of the Betterment of Humanity, as they lose corpses all the damn time.

1. There are more “anti-establishment” people than actual establishment people. Thus, if you wish to be truly anti-establishment, turn up as a lawful good martinet teetotaler who loves the Queen, the British Empire, and Professor Goldcrest.

2. Despite the nearby military barracks, there are few soldiers actually around. Most of the defending of the camp is done by the gypsies. (Refer to rule 7.)

3. Wish to consummate your probably doomed marriage? That’s what the backroom of the Taverna is for!

1. Don’t be the first person to take a ride on the flying fox, unless you happen to like the taste of stagnant rainwater.
  2. If you are a character with medical skills, take the number of bandages you think you will need and multiply it by three.
  3. If a gypsy offers you a drink, demand to know whether the vessel that it is served in has any significance in his culture.
  4. Make DAMN sure that there are no bits on your clothing that could easily be attached to someone else without your noticing.
  5. Trust your instincts. Don’t give up easily when trying to convince the people in authority that letting the serial killer wander around freely is a bad idea.
  6. Anyone whom you’ve never heard of who knows who you are and who your parents were is the absolute last person you should talk to.

[quote=“u_ne_korn”][quote=“musicforwolves”]

1. If you want to interact with people, make it so your character can’t do certain things; trade, shoot arrows, read and write, etc.
  2. That person you met this morning might be a demon. They turn out to be with surprising frequency.[/quote]
    Lies and Slander!!
    [/quote]

Hey now, I maintain that any character without combat abilities will be spending a lot of time hanging around people that can. Especially when those zombies start pounding at the taverna windows. Same goes for anybody that wants to learn skills during the weekend.
And #2 was more about the idea that if your character connections with other PCs are ‘I met Professor Blackenfeld once, and we became firm friends who disagree about nothing ever’ is going to result in a dearth of PvP. Whereas ‘I met Professor Blackenfeld once, and while I was irresistably drawn to his raw animal magnetism and heroic love of doomsday devices, my debts to the Royal Botany Society and the Professor’s firm views on the sanctity of brotherly love meant that it could never be’ gives you about a dozen things to do.

[quote=“u_ne_korn”][quote=“musicforwolves”]

1. If the corpse is not being used for an experiment, burn it. We cannot stress this enough.[/quote]
    I object to the idea that you weren’t warned. There were posters up everywhere. You guys contributed the posters yourselves. There’s not much more we can do! [/quote]

Actually, any chance of someone whipping up some Victorian / WWI-style public health notices about this?

There were some in the last game, I made them and had them on the walls in the Taverna :wink:

1. Don’t go it alone, join one of the factions. It provides an instant connection to every other character in the faction and means the problems of that faction are now your problems.
  2. Always carry a spare weapon.
  3. Ensure you have at least one steadfast relationship with another character, someone you can go to with your problems and whom will do the same with you. This will double your plot involvement.
  4. Always leave the camp defended.
  5. Forest Folk are a great ward against demons. Just watch your personal belongings closely (including the pants you’re wearing).

Above All Else Remember - From Friday Night till Sunday Afternoon, You are all IN CHARACTER!
Even heros have to pee in the middle of the night :smiling_imp:
Take a weapon to bed
Booby Trap the Doors & Windows
Unless your an exhibitionist, wear pj’s to bed :unamused:

From an innocent NPC who just wanted his Pants Back… MWAhahahaahhahhahahaaah

1. The people from the Royal Mail who actually deliver the mail are informally known as “Robins”; and formally they are Post Ladies.
  2. in theory some Robins are male, but they are apparently rare beasts. They might be known as Post Lords but I have no way of confirming this, so stick with Post Ladies.
  1. Always remember where you left your sword. Even when you have a sword as large as a person, it’s still no guarantee you’ll be able to see it in a crowded taverna.

[quote=“Oltanya”]18) The people from the Royal Mail who actually deliver the mail are informally known as “Robins”; and formally they are Post Ladies.
19) in theory some Robins are male, but they are apparently rare beasts. They might be known as Post Lords but I have no way of confirming this, so stick with Post Ladies.[/quote]

I’ve always preferred Mail Girl.

[quote=“musicforwolves”][quote=“u_ne_korn”][quote=“musicforwolves”]

1. If you want to interact with people, make it so your character can’t do certain things; trade, shoot arrows, read and write, etc.
  2. That person you met this morning might be a demon. They turn out to be with surprising frequency.[/quote]
    Lies and Slander!!
    [/quote]

Hey now, I maintain that any character without combat abilities will be spending a lot of time hanging around people that can. Especially when those zombies start pounding at the taverna windows. Same goes for anybody that wants to learn skills during the weekend.
And #2 was more about the idea that if your character connections with other PCs are ‘I met Professor Blackenfeld once, and we became firm friends who disagree about nothing ever’ is going to result in a dearth of PvP. Whereas ‘I met Professor Blackenfeld once, and while I was irresistably drawn to his raw animal magnetism and heroic love of doomsday devices, my debts to the Royal Botany Society and the Professor’s firm views on the sanctity of brotherly love meant that it could never be’ gives you about a dozen things to do.[/quote]

"Lies and Slander’ was totally about the person you met this morning being a demon with surprising frequency. :smiley: Besides, PC’s killed more PC’s than all the demons combined :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“sophmelc”][quote=“Oltanya”]18) The people from the Royal Mail who actually deliver the mail are informally known as “Robins”; and formally they are Post Ladies.
19) in theory some Robins are male, but they are apparently rare beasts. They might be known as Post Lords but I have no way of confirming this, so stick with Post Ladies.[/quote]

I’ve always preferred Mail Girl.[/quote]

Post Lady.

1. Be aware that the other members of your faction may be insane, and that it is your job to stop them :wink:.
  1. If you want it, ask the GMs for it. The further out you ask us, the more we can do to set up the tea party/kidnapping, but if something occurs to you in game, don’t hesitate to drag us aside and ask us. While we probably do have plans, said plans can almost always be improved on the fly with that personal touch. Plot to combat ratio out of whack? Want to talk to a specific NPC? Need a good reason to start a fight in the taverna? We’re creative, but not psychic.

2. Revolutionary Science is a skill specifically put in the game to give you guys the ability to play around with the rules of the world. You need to tell the GMs exactly what you want to test/investigate, preferably far enough out so we have time to make props. But see Rule 19.

Totally agree to the ask the GM’s thing.

Note who the NPC’s are, drop hints, or ask the NPC’s about certain people / items. It helps if you remember which npc’s are involved in what plots, but overall, if you mention things, we’ll take them back to the GM’s if they aren’t available.

1. If you can’t handle being teased endlessly, you have no bussiness being on Skye.