The Rose and the Dragon - The Village

Character sheets for The Village are being sent out tonight. If you have not received one by 10th August, email or PM me and let me know.

This thread is for players of characters in or associated with the village of Thamesly. However, we’re not going to stop other people from reading it at this stage, and trust in players not to act on any information they shouldn’t know in character.

The villagers of Thamesly have all known each other for many years. So the idea of this thread is to enable players to tell each other a bit about their characters (only the stuff that everyone should know, not your dark secrets). It might also help with sorting out who you’re related to.

One thing to note is that we haven’t specified any children under 15 in the game (as we don’t have children to play them). However, children still exist in the setting. Therefore players of married couples may choose to define a number of “off-screen” young children (so long as it’s consistent with your background). Obviously it would pay to ensure that everyone in your family is aware of this or things could get confusing.

The game will be set on May Day, and will include a “traditional” parade. We have not defined many of the details of this parade because we’d like to give players the option of how involved they want to be and what they’d like to do. Therefore this thread can also be used to discuss ideas for the parade.

So is the May Day parade something that will happen during the game? Or has happened earlier that afternoon?

It will happen during the game, as a way to give all the different groups a chance to mingle. The only bit nailed down is that the villagers, led by a dragon, will march to the great hall, where the dragon will be tamed with a rose by a lady of the Thamesly family. We didn’t want to give people a script, so who or what the dragon is - a person in a mask, a dragon head on a pole (I’m sure we can accomodate either from the gear budget) - and who leads the procession (and how they are selected) are things we thought we’d leave to the villagers to sort out here.

Obvious options for who gets to be the Dragon:

• Traditional: someone important: Harold Ayling, the Reeve, the village Priest, the Hayward, oldest man, oldest woman
  • Election: by Village council, by women’s council, by popular acclaim
  • Random: draw lots, pie with a bean in it
  • Choice: made by someone important above.

so who or what the dragon is - a person in a mask, a dragon head on a pole (I’m sure we can accomodate either from the gear budget).[/quote]

We have a dragon in the nzLARPS gear :smiley:

There is also the one used for the last Chrono Continuum game which might still be around.

so who or what the dragon is - a person in a mask, a dragon head on a pole (I’m sure we can accomodate either from the gear budget).[/quote]

We have a dragon in the nzLARPS gear :smiley:[/quote]

I thought as much.

I was imagining something less… plush? :wink:

I was imagining something less… plush? :wink:[/quote]

“Peasants, welcome to May Day! Over here you can OH GOD IT’S SO FLUFFY! EEEEEEEEE!”