The Great Exhibition - July 10th - MOTAT

The Great Exhibition
Sunday 10th July
12:30pm to 4:30pm
Crupper House, MOTAT

Background
The year is 1851 and Prince Albert has sponsored the Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of all Nations in Hyde Park London, in the specially erected Crystal Palace. Exhibits have come, not only from throughout Britain, but also its expanding imperial colonies, such as Australia, India and New Zealand, and other foreign countries such as Denmark, France and Switzerland.

It is the eve of the official opening and a grand gala is being held. While the huddled masses crouch outside the great palace those with enough money or the right connections will be there to get an advance viewing of the exhibits before the peasants are allowed in tomorrow. It is a great opportunity to see who is who in Victorian society, to see and be seen, and to network with other like folk of similar class.

Registering
This game is being run with the intention of recruiting those who are completely or very new to larp. Therefore, at this stage, there are 40 spaces reserved for new people, and 30 spaces available to experienced larpers. Experienced larpers who wish to regiser are asked to play with the newbies’ enjoyment in mind, and to play with the intention of making their game fun, comfortable and memorable.

The game masters are using a character questionnaire to cast this time, and this can be foundonline here.

If you have friends or acquiantances who have been interested in trying larp but haven’t quite managed to, this is a great event to invite them along to. Send them to our public website, which covers the basics of larping as well. nzlarps.org/games/greatexhibition/

Contact
Rowena Knill (Anastriel) is chiefly running this event. Questions can be posted in this thread, or directed to greatexhibition@gmail.com

Now, if we’ve played this before, are we still allowed to take part?

Yes, subject to the above limitations :slight_smile:

We need similar for Wellington… a nice easy larp for newbies…

Best of luck guys, looking foward to seeing lots of newbies at future larps :slight_smile:

I would like to join! I’m just trying to figure out if someone I know will go with me so I have a companion and a ride! Then to find a costume…

Hey,
I sent an email to the address on the event page last week - Its Cropper House, not Crupper. Theres also no time of day listed and also the banner at the bottom of the page links to a 404’ed page.

ummm just checking is my great exhibition email was recived

I’ve sent one too a while ago asking if I can have a particular character, and haven’t heard anything. I wonder how is casting going to be done?

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone that’s signed up so far. Confirmation emails will be sent out over the weekend.

Trials of the working week and all, and the head GM (Rowena) works in travel insurance and with the ash clouds from Chile, it’s been a nightmare. Don’t panic if you haven’t heard back yet!

It’s on a Sunday. Just like A&I, I’m not going to get to go. :frowning:

Here’s to those who do get to having an awesome time!

[quote=“Scotty”]Hey,
I sent an email to the address on the event page last week - Its Cropper House, not Crupper. Theres also no time of day listed and also the banner at the bottom of the page links to a 404’ed page.[/quote]

These have all been fixed. Though it’s amazing that you spotted these errors last week, the page hasn’t been online for a week.

My apologies, it was Sunday evening I sent the email, so you’re right; 6 days previously is not a week.

Everyone who has signed up so far should have received a character emailed now. Please contact me if you haven’t received yours.

We still have 29 spaces left, 7females, and 22 males. It would be really good if we can fill all the roles, so if you are thinking of playing, please contact me ASAP.

Following is the list of unassigned characters at the moment. Several of them have the option of a non Victorian costume, so if you were wanting to play but concerned over costume, do take a further look :slight_smile:

Male
Alexander Bell
Benjamin Disraeli
Jacob Disraeli
Duncan Echols
Thomas Edison
Wild Bill Hickok
Sherlock Holmes
Robert E Lee
Dr Livingstone
Karl Marx
Oliver Maylie
Liam O’Connell
Feargus O’Connor
Nikola Tesla
Umslopogaas
Prof. Abraham Van Helsing
Dr. John Watson
Daniel Webster
William Chamberlin
Jonathan Boscawen
Peter Hawthorne
Professor Roger Arenque

Female
Helena Blavatsky
Victoria Hugo
Mabel North
Oichi
Xi Shi
Lillian Smith
Yang Yuhuan

Is there a price for this? Haven’t been able to spot one anywhere. If it’s free that might be a good thing to advertise. :wink:

I believe it’s free, but you have to pay the $14 MOTAT entry fee.

Really? Is that essentially the venue hire fee then?

Considering signing up, but need an excuse. How about entertaining rellies?

If I played Sherlock Holmes could I bring a gaggle of nephews and nieces along as the Baker Street Irregulars?

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Considering signing up, but need an excuse. How about entertaining rellies?

If I played Sherlock Holmes could I bring a gaggle of nephews and nieces along as the Baker Street Irregulars?[/quote]

I am fine with you doing that as long as you don’t want me to write character sheets for them. With the way work is at the moment, I just don’t have the time.

Ryan - please email Rowena at greatexhibition@gmail.com to discuss your neices and nephews :slight_smile: We have a number of young people coming along already. We need more kiddie larps, it seems!

Re, cost: Dave is correct, it’s free but we have to pay the $14 MOTAT entry cost.

These are the current characters still unassigned. I am assigning out another 7 male characters tonight, so if you still want to play, and are interested in any of the characters below, get in quick! I’ll update again later

Male

Alexander Bell
Jacob Disraeli
Duncan Echols
Thomas Edison
Sherlock Holmes
Robert E Lee
Dr Livingstone
Karl Marx
Oliver Maylie
Feargus O’Connor
Nikola Tesla