The Dance and The Dawn

Just a note that while this game does involve a number of in-character waltzes, players do not need to be able to dance (it is acceptable just to walk around in pairs while music plays). On the other hand, if someone is able to teach people a few basic steps beforehand that would be cool.

Also we would welcome any recommendations for (short) waltz music.

youtube.com/watch?v=z__p04uBJsI - cool little tutorial

Cast list:

(This cast-list has been redacted for privacy reasons, there being no good reason to leave it lying around after over a year. If you wish to know who you played, please get in contact - I/S)

Everyone who stated a preference got it.

Each of the Ladies of Ash will have a favour, a rose of the specified colour. We will provide these ($2 shops are wonderful things), but if you are interested in providing your own or colour co-ordinating, now you know.

Character sheets and rules (including etiquette) will be sent out within a couple of weeks.

Now that we’ve got our castings I’ve been thinking about what to wear… What sort of costumes are people thinking about? My first instinct was to go with something more medieval like the Queen from the Brothers Grimm film.

Then I thought about something like an Italian renaissance like the dresses in Ever After. What styles are people considering?

Characters and rules have now been sent.

[quote=“nboyce”]Now that we’ve got our castings I’ve been thinking about what to wear… What sort of costumes are people thinking about? My first instinct was to go with something more medieval like the Queen from the Brothers Grimm film.

Then I thought about something like an Italian renaissance like the dresses in Ever After. What styles are people considering?[/quote]

Good question, the setting lends itself to everything from medieval to baroque and victorianesque ballgowns. The most I have been able to do is decide I want the dress to be red so I can use it for two games. At the moment I am tempted to go bigger with the gothic fairytale idea and do something with a hoopskirt, but it also feels silly if the majority choose to go more medieval.

I’m with you, after some rethink I’m going to go down a more traditional fairytale route and get my hoops out :slight_smile:

Thanks to a dropout, the role of Lord Marius Armster is now free. They’re written as male, but there is no reason they cannot be female. If you are interested, email the Chimera team.

If you are still looking for music, this is quite a nice piece. youtube.com/watch?v=q6R5M52lqlw. Also there are simple Schubert pieces which would be good to dance to.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that. I’ve been snipping Waltzes for length, to the extent that I’ve earwormed myself with the KaiserWalz (not even the Blue Danube!), but having more options is always good.

(So far the playlist is mostly Joseph Strauss II, with some Lanner, Tchaikovsky, Kaisler-pretending-to-be-Lanner, and Shostakovich. If anyone has a particular favourite, let me know soon, and I’ll try and fit it in)

For the record, here’s the playlist:

01 Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube (2001)
02 Prokofiev - Cinderella Waltz
03 Fritz Kreisler - Schön Rosmarin
04 Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers
05 Johann Strauss II - Kaiserwalzer Op.437
06 Eugen Doga - Gramofon
07 Joseph Lanner - Krönungswalzer Op.133
08 Aram Khachaturian - Masquerade Waltz
09 Johann Strauss I - Lorelei Rhein Klänge, Op. 154
10 Shostakovich - Waltz 2 from Jazz Suite
11 Émile Waldteufel - Les Patineurs (The Skaters Waltz) Op.183
12 Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky - Sleeping Beauty Waltz
13 Johann Strauss II - Wien Blut Op.354
14 Carl Michael Ziehrer - Hereinspaziert (Part II)
15 Joseph Lanner - Die Romantiker Op.167 (short)
16 Josef Strauss - Delerium Waltz Op.212 pt II
17 Fritz Kreisler - Liebesfreund
18 Johann Strauss II - Mephistos Höllenrufe Op.101
19 Émile Waldteufel - Estudiantina
20 Pyotr Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake Waltz
21 Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube (End titles)

That’s 74 minutes of music. There will be a 3.5 minute gap between each piece for public conversation, resolution of ash tokens, and duelling. Allowing for introduction and ending, we should run roughly to time; if things slip too far, we’ll cut tracks 19 and/or 18. Dawn will arrive after the second rendition of The Blue Danube and associated rules resolutions.

Just FYI - not how sure how up to date the cast list is, but I’ve just jumped in to fill the role of Lady Elia due to a drop out. :slight_smile:

… Now to see if I can count 1-2-3 and LARP at the same time!

The tutorial linked above is quite good.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the Game Of Thrones theme music is in 3/4 time. Its even got an appropriate theme! Next run , I swear…

[quote=“IdiotSavant”]The tutorial linked above is quite good.

Also, thanks for pointing out that the Game Of Thrones theme music is in 3/4 time. Its even got an appropriate theme! Next run , I swear…[/quote]

I may or may not have practiced watlzing around the living room while listening to that music today.