Supplying medieval tents

I’ve had some customers interested in medieval tents.

With The Crucible heralding a new era of large scale larp in NZ, we may want to head towards the European style of having nice in-character tents both to roleplay and sleep in at large events. The more of these the community has, the less dependent we’ll be on bunk rooms at venues, and the cooler our encampments will look.

I have a supplier for medieval tents, but I haven’t made use of them yet. Tents are not cheap items, and they’re bulky so the shipping costs are substantial too. All up I’d have to charge in the range of $1000 to $2000 for 1 or 2 person tents, and that’s with the NZLARPS member discount. There are also some plainer wedge tents that might be around $500, they don’t have the fancy medieval styling but don’t look modern either, so would blend in well.

Here are a few examples from cheaper to more expensive, the coloured ones have a range of colour options:

[attachment=1]Wedge tent.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3]Saxon tent.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]2 person medieval tent.jpg[/attachment]

They also come in much larger sizes suitable for groups or faction headquarters. For example:

[attachment=0]Medieval tent 5m.jpg[/attachment]

There are various other styles available.

Let me know if you’re interested, as I should be able to keep the price down better if we can order more together. If there’s enough interest I’ll firm up the prices and list all the options on the Paddywhack site.

I don’t know that we’d have this in time for the first Crucible weekend game next month, but we could do it for the second Crucible chapter game later in the year. Might be nice to have extra time to save for them anyhow.

They look awesome Ryan!

I’m not knowledgable about tents at all, these seem to be made from fabric, so I’m assuming they’re not waterproof? That would be my concern, authenticity is great, but you are unlikely to enjoy your weekend if all your gear is soaking wet and you have hypothermia.

I would be tempted by the wedge tent…

Jon

But Jon, it is more authentic if you’re soaking wet and have hypothermia! :wink:

The fabric is treated to withstand water and fungus, so they should keep you pretty dry. They’ll have to be dried out before packing away to prevent rot, I imagine.

The groundsheets are sold separately, so there is the option to get one or not.

Any idea on pricing, colours?

These look awesome… I haven’t been able find any of the pavilion tents on places like ebay, so its cool you have a supplier.

Having used these sorts of tents in the UK, they are usually pretty waterproof. However, they get damn heavy when wet.

Do they come with the poles as well? I remember one other website I perused saying that they didn’t come with poles.

If not, poles are relatively inexpensive to get/make from any hardware store :slight_smile:

They come with poles, pegs, pins and ropes.

Only the ground sheets are separate.

It seems like there may be enough interest, I’ll load the tents on the Paddywhack site with prices when I get a chance. Order might be sometime around June, to give time for interested people to save or start paying in installments.

Thanks Ryan, sounds good. I’m particularly interested in the smaller 2 tents, the Saxon one, what other colours does it come in? I guess I’m really looking for a blue and white one (rather than the black which is shown).

Regards,

Jon

If you can get these guys on-side as a supplier, I’d be mighty keen!!

trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing … =697598982

Yeah, I’ve seen those before too Jackie, they’re lovely!

It seems to come in black/natural (shown), natural and green/natural. I can ask whether blue/natural can be made available. Alternatively, you could decorate the natural or black/natural with blue banners.

[quote=“amphigori”]If you can get these guys on-side as a supplier, I’d be mighty keen!!

trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing … =697598982[/quote]

Thanks, I’ve just inquired with them if they supply to retailers. :wink:

This smaller one does come in blue/natural though. Also comes in natural, as shown.

[attachment=0]1 mast tent.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“amphigori”]If you can get these guys on-side as a supplier, I’d be mighty keen!!

Sorry to derail away from Ryan’s post, about supplying tents.

www.soulpad.com.au - I bought one of these (3000 Ultralight) free shipping to NZ.
If you email them an enquiry, they are very helpful!

Not sure if you could discuss NZ supply with them or not Ryan.

[quote=“TazzyD”][quote=“amphigori”]If you can get these guys on-side as a supplier, I’d be mighty keen!!

Sorry to derail away from Ryan’s post, about supplying tents.

soulpad.com.au - I bought one of these (3000 Ultralight) free shipping to NZ.
If you email them an enquiry, they are very helpful!

Not sure if you could discuss NZ supply with them or not Ryan.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure they’re the type of tent Prema and I have, though we bought ours through a different supplier.

Are you going to be putting the tends up on the Paddywhack site?

Jon

Yep, when I get a chance.

At the moment I’m pretty busy dealing with the new stock that’s just arrived and getting people’s orders out to them.

Good as gold, I was just on the site and wondering why I couldn’t see tents :slight_smile:.