SSL Certificate issue on nzlarps.org

I know this isn’t nzlarps.org, but I wasn’t sure who or how to contact there, so Just letting people know, either the SSL cert has expired or the signing authority is invalid on the nzlarps.org SSL certificate. Some browsers will initially block access for this reason.

@Adrexia

(Though has it been fixed already? Firefox is really touchy about this, and is working for me)

Ah, I took a closer look, it’s not expired, it’s just not valid for the URL “www.nzlarps.org
if you go to “nzlarps.org” it’s fine!
Here’s the error message :

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox Developer Edition does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for www.nzlarps.org. The certificate is only valid for the following names: cerberus.nzlarps.org, chimera.nzlarps.org, nzlarps.org, saga.nzlarps.org
Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Oh! I thought you might have been using a browser that doesn’t like the ssl provider, but the third level domain thing makes more sense. Chrome just redirects back to nzlarps.org. I’m not sure if that’s something we’ve done, or something Chrome does though.

It’s probably just Firefox being extra picky.
I mean, it’s technically correct, as server1.domain.com is probably a different server than server2.domain.com, but practically it’s a bit silly if both names resolve to the same IP address.
I suspect Chrome may just be handling the “well-known” URI part “www.” specially
Or maybe it depends on which is the DNS A record.

1 Like

I usually de-emphasize www urls, to the point where I sometimes forget they exist. Case in point. I’ll add it to the list when I have a few minutes remember how that stuff works… :sweat_smile: