Soft foam

Does anyone have some soft foam (upholstery foam, mattress foam, open-cell foam) that they want to get rid of?

Happy to pick it up within Auckland if you have some to give.

I have a bit, mostly scraps, but some in decent sizes…what’s it for?

Looking for large amounts (like whole mattress size ideally), for creature-building.

Thinner sheets of open-cell foam would be great too.

I imagine you’ve got your own uses for it though Peter, I’m just checking if anyone actively wants to get rid of some.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Looking for large amounts (like whole mattress size ideally), for creature-building.

Thinner sheets of open-cell foam would be great too.[/quote]

When Eva and I built Boris we ended up getting the 125mm thick single mattresses from para rubber. They’re usually on special at $75 each. 5 mattresses at a total of $375 is a reasonable price to pay for the major component for a large monster. I think Boris cost a little over $500 in materials.

I tried sourcing them on trademe but at the end of the day I figured the hygiene aspects weren’t worth the money you’d save getting mattresses second hand.

Hygiene isn’t an issue in this case, it won’t be worn.

…but having said that, I picked up the foam for the stone golem off the side of the road during inorganic collection. Hygiene never crossed my mind. :wink:

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]

…but having said that, I picked up the foam for the stone golem off the side of the road during inorganic collection. Hygiene never crossed my mind. :wink:[/quote]
A rare glimpse behind the curtain of NZLARPS history.

I’ve found that it’s cheaper to buy foam mattresses from The Warehouse than to get open-cell foam any other way, including having an account with a foam wholesaler or distributor. :neutral_face:

2nd hand mattresses would be even cheaper of course, but a lot of running around.