Sepulturum

Sepulturum, A zombie survival game, with a fantasy setting.

Premise: A lone Traveller from another town carried an airborne pathogen into your town.
This pathogen is quick to overcome it’s hosts defenses by binding to the hosts DNA mostly causing the subject to undergo a very painful death. After which they pull themselves to their feet and search to spread their virus.
However the virus effects everyone differently and some find that immunity to the virus can cause positive “enhancements” without the general bloodlusting
Do your best to survive the outbreak, rescue other survivers, find a cure.
Teamwork is not only encouraged… Its your only chance for survial.

Being set in a fanatsy medieval setting, combat weapons are your primary defense, but armour and spells will keep you from being zombie food.

I offer
Multiple classes and races (all susceptable to the virus)
Multielemental spells which can combine with others to make super spells
lots of teamwork based action/combat/puzzlesolving.
Zombies, zombies, zombies… and maybe the occcasional super zombie

I would like to implement shotguns to the game but I’m not sure how to make “larp safe” shotguns.

Ideas more than welcome

Would anyone be interested in this concept? Is it worth me finishing off my rules?

You had me till you said classes, multielemental spells and shotguns.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

How do shotguns fit in with a medieval setting? There were explosives, at least as early as the 14th century, but they were more used as bombs to bust open a castle or manor door. If you don’t mind moving into the Renaissance, it’d fit better, I think.

Actually, that’s a good point - what are the features of ‘medieval’ that you’re keen on?

Really?
I thought about making it really simple, but I thought people loved indepth character creation, complex leveling systems, advanced teamwork mechanics.
Is there a demand for a simple fight wave after wave of zombies, pause for lunch, wave after wave of zombies.

Also shotguns was just a play on the zombie idea, it doesn’t really fit.

[quote=“Stephanie”]
What are the features of ‘medieval’ that you’re keen on?[/quote]
I just wanted the swords and knights and stuff. The shotgun Idea was a joke idea to go with the zombie idea.
I don’t really know what setting would be entirely appropriate. I need armour, spells and swords and probably not guns.

Really?
I thought about making it really simple, but I thought people loved indepth character creation, complex leveling systems, advanced teamwork mechanics.
Is there a demand for a simple fight wave after wave of zombies, pause for lunch, wave after wave of zombies.

Also shotguns was just a play on the zombie idea, it doesn’t really fit.[/quote]

Personally (and this is just my opinion) I hate complex leveling and advanced teamwork mechanics. Teamwork should just require people to work as a team effectively. If the rules are simple that doesn’t mean the game will be a pointless zombie grind.

Indepth character creation doesn’t require a 100 page rulebook.

Anyway my opinion is complex rules just get in the way of a game rather than help make it better.

[quote=“Matt”]
Personally (and this is just my opinion) I hate complex leveling and advanced teamwork mechanics. Teamwork should just require people to work as a team effectively. If the rules are simple that doesn’t mean the game will be a pointless zombie grind.
Indepth character creation doesn’t require a 100 page rulebook.
Anyway my opinion is complex rules just get in the way of a game rather than help make it better.[/quote]
Yeah I was definitely trying to avoid being a zombie themed “skirmish” but maybe if I put more effort into the story line and simple game play it will go down better.
Now back to L4D2 for inspiration XD

Watch falling skys and replace aliens with zombies and necromancers :smiley:

Why do shotguns not fit in a fantasy medieval period with magic…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Dead

Ok maybe 4 “classes” then?

I call them classes only because they will be what I center the rules around.
-Combat class
-wizard class
-healer class
-Philiax (partially mutated) class

4 Races
-Human
-Ork
-Elf
-Dryads (human tree hybrids)

No MP for spells or abilities all spells and abilities work on a “x times per day” or “once every x minutes” basis, these times can be changed through leveling.

The infected will be of 4 main types

generic infected (infected combat class)
spellcasting infected (infected wizard class)
necromancer infected (infected healer class)
Infested philiax (infected philiax)

Comments?

Would the zombie types get distinct visual differences?

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by Philiax. In general, I’d suggest dropping your classes to three, and your Player races to two.

That is, of course, coming from someone who prefers simplicity in live-action: “complex leveling systems, advanced teamwork mechanics” make me cringe. Video games come with pauses, saves, manuals, and walkthroughs, all of which larpers cannot access when they’re running through the woods or whatever, and communication errors are common.

Er, I didn’t attend “The Defense of Nuremburg” at last Chimera, but from what I’ve heard it did a good job of getting a lot of player-created characters working quickly - and with a simple and effective reward for teamwork, so you could maybe check that out.

Is this going to be a one-off or a campaign? If it’s a one-off, there is limited time to master complex rules. If it’s going to be a campaign, you can start basic and work in more complicated things like hybrids as you go.

Um, like Steph said, have a think about what you really want out of ‘Medieval’ setting. Old-fashioned clothing? Complex class systems complicated by consecutive campaigns of colonialism? (Sorry.) Simple bash-the-monsters with a bit of flavour?

I think the game has potential. If you ran it in the city I lived, I’d probably volunteer.

[quote=“theamazingcatherine”]Would the zombie types get distinct visual differences?

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by Philiax. In general, I’d suggest dropping your classes to three, and your Player races to two.

That is, of course, coming from someone who prefers simplicity in live-action: “complex leveling systems, advanced teamwork mechanics” make me cringe. Video games come with pauses, saves, manuals, and walkthroughs, all of which larpers cannot access when they’re running through the woods or whatever, and communication errors are common.

Er, I didn’t attend “The Defense of Nuremburg” at last Chimera, but from what I’ve heard it did a good job of getting a lot of player-created characters working quickly - and with a simple and effective reward for teamwork, so you could maybe check that out.

Is this going to be a one-off or a campaign? If it’s a one-off, there is limited time to master complex rules. If it’s going to be a campaign, you can start basic and work in more complicated things like hybrids as you go.

Um, like Steph said, have a think about what you really want out of ‘Medieval’ setting. Old-fashioned clothing? Complex class systems complicated by consecutive campaigns of colonialism? (Sorry.) Simple bash-the-monsters with a bit of flavour?

I think the game has potential. If you ran it in the city I lived, I’d probably volunteer.[/quote]
Yeah I would find a way to give them differences someway or another.
The word philiax came from facebashing the keyboard and adding vowels for a new race of mutated humans (extra arms, legs, spikes anything your mind/costuming ability could conjure)
I will check out the Defense of Nuremburg too, was that a once off thing?
I would like to make it more than a once off if people would be keen to play more.
As far as medieval setting was concerned it’s not strick, I just wanted to move away from all the modern day appocalypse zombie bashing.
I think simple bash 'em up without turing into zombie grind is where I’m heading.

I will check out the Defense of Nuremburg too, was that a once off thing? [/quote]

Defence of Nuremburg will probably be running again. May 12th ish. If you have any questions or want some advice feel free to pm me - I am the creator of DoN :slight_smile: