Prizes and Awards at Chimera

After a discussion regarding various points of view around prizes, voting and awards at Chimera, I have put together a survey form. If you are registered for Chimera, please make sure you fill it out and have your say, we will be designing our award system around the feedback we get:

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie … bm1ib0E6MQ

We are accepting responses until midnight on July 20th.

Am writing characters for The Queen’s Justice at the moment, and personally I have my fingers crossed that there will be a “Most Stressful Game” award category this year. :wink:

Oh dear…should us players be worried? :wink: Can’t wait to see what you’ve got up your sleeve, Ryan.

So… I’ve seen some of the GM advice for the Bad Dreams game. I think they’re probably going to give you a run for your money. :wink:

I was thinking that too, but it wouldn’t be a competition without some competition.

Actually, if there are to be game awards then categories aren’t a totally dumb idea.

There could be Best Drama Game, Best Comedy Game, Best Horror Game, Best Action Game, that kind of thing. There are enough games across the weekend these days to warrant at least five or sic categories, and it means more GMs getting that positive feedback and being able to mention the award if they publish their larp.

I’m trying for Best Weird Game. (:-))

Best game of over 50 people?

I vote for Best [Random] Awards.

Each game gets a randomly assigned award, such as :

• Best One-Liner
  • Best Hat
  • Best Auspicious Use of a Weapon
  • Best Use Of Diplomatic Skills
  • Best Ironic Comment

The key is that the GM opens the sealed envelope at the end of the game, and then everyone votes. i.e. nobody can try to win the award because it is so random and unknown.

It’s a silly system, one the I expect would reward a wide variety of participants - in a fun way.

[quote=“Mike Curtis”]I vote for Best [Random] Awards.

• Best One-Liner
  • Best Hat
  • Best Ironic Comment

The key is that the GM opens the sealed envelope at the end of the game, and then everyone votes. i.e. nobody can try to win the award because it is so random and unknown.

It’s a silly system, one the I expect would reward a wide variety of participants - in a fun way.[/quote]

That sounds fun!

Best Death :smiling_imp:

• Best One-Liner
  • Best Hat
  • Best Ironic Comment

It’s a silly system, one the I expect would reward a wide variety of participants - in a fun way.[/quote]

I totally second that idea. It would generate some great after-game laughs and discussions.

[/quote]
That’s a great idea, I really like it.

Yes, best death!

[quote=“jagerin”][quote=“Mike Curtis”]I vote for Best [Random] Awards.
Yes, yes, yes! :mrgreen:

Thank you the extensive responses we received to our survey. More people answered the prizes survey than the accommodation survey, so prizes are clearly important to you guys :smiley:

We’ve tried to incorporate as much feedback as possible, and develop a system that is both more encompassing, to recognise more people’s efforts in a more fair manner, as well as more relaxed to try and take the stressful element out of it. We envision this as a way by which you can show your appreciation for your fellow larpers, but it shouldn’t by any means be the only way to show appreciation. Make sure you go and tell people that you like their costume, or that you enjoyed roleplaying with them. Prizes at Chimera are in the spirit of fun, and not at all the sole barometre of roleplaying and costuming excellence in the community.

Game Prizes
For each game, the game master(s) will select their “Standout Roleplayer” and “Standout Costume” and inform the Chimera team. Players will vote for a random category announced at the end of the game. The theme will be appropriate to the game (i.e. best use of banana, best death, most unexpected win, etc) as well as for a game score. This will be done on physical slips of paper, collected by the game masters and returned to the Chimera team for tabulation.

All-Con Prizes
Throughout the convention, we will be taking votes for:

The People’s Choice for Standout Roleplaying
The People’s Choice for Standout Costuming
The People’s Choice for Greatest Chimera Spirit

Contrary to past years, where everyone voted one costume and one roleplayer after the game, there are no number limitations on nominations, and nominations will be open throughout the convention so people can vote for as many or as few people as they wish for each category (except game writing, which is done after each round). For example, if in one game, there was nobody you thought stood out for costume but three people you thought roleplayed well, you can nominate the three for roleplaying and not nominate for costume. People are encouraged to vote as it shows their appreciation for others’ efforts but are not forced to.

Voting will be done via Google Form - accessible by either smartphone, an internet capable laptop on site or paper slips if necessary. People are encouraged to lend smartphones to room mates/friends. An internet capable laptop will be at the Chimera desk for this use.

The Flagship - Happily Ever After?
For each stream, the GMs assigned to the stream will select TWO winners for Game Masters’ Choice for Outstanding Roleplaying, as well as Game Masters’ Choice for Outstanding Costuming. Players will vote after the game via smartphones, tablets, computers etc through a Google Form, which will allow us to tabulate results in a matter of minutes, on the following three categories:

Favourite Male Costume
Favourite Female Costume
Memorable Roleplayer (they can nominate up to three)

People will need to bring their smartphones to the game with them. There will be character name/real name lists.

Other Notes:
This year, to assist with voting, there will be lists matching character name to player name posted in both Mowgli and Puketane after each round. People will need to submit a person’s real full name for it to be a valid vote (we have too many name double ups - two Saskias, three Annas, two Beths, three Chris-es, two Hannahs, two Garys etc)

The web addresses of the voting forms will be circulated by email before the convention so people can bookmark them, as well as posted prominently in Puketane and Mowgli. People are encouraged to assist each other with finding access to technology.

The Opt Out
We understand from the surveys that for a section of our attendees, competing is significantly detrimental to their experience and causes unpleasant anxiety. Therefore, we are inviting anyone for whom this is the case to inform us, confidentially via email, that they wish to opt out from the prize system. No names will be made public, all nominations for them will simply be deleted. We hope this sufficiently addresses such concerns, and allows people to continue to attend Chimera without the stress of competition.

We are hereby inviting people to submit their ideas for the random prize categories - we need both serious and humorous ones, and ones that you can conceivably vote on in most games.

i.e. “Best Use of a Banana” is too obscure

Best Death

Best Death Scene
Most Gratuitous Use of a Weapon, Not During a Fight
Best In-world Joke/Prank/Story
Most Innovative Use of a Non-weapon prop, as a Weapon (in a larp safe way of course!)
Best Lie/Coverup
The “How The Hell Did You Get Away With That!!?” Award

Brain fade… more later

Most astonishing breakdown
The 'Never Let ‘Em See You Sweat’ Award, for courage under fire
Crowning moment of badass
Perfect one-liner
Most satisfying betrayal

Cruelest put-down
Most hearts broken
Least deserved success
Most tragic failure