Pirate larp

I’ve a sudden strong desire to write or play in a pirate larp.

Treasure maps, cutlass fights, sandy beaches and so much rum.

That could be such a fun summer-time game with the right location. Bonfires on sandy beaches - your ship smashed to bit on the rocks. Stranded with a treasure map and no way to get the treasure out even if you do find it.

… And then there’s the question of the island’s resident population none too keen on your presence.

Etc…Etc…

(I’d have to write in a Captain Barbosa clone so I could have my fangirl moment…)

You should do it. :slight_smile:

We had a pirate larp run at BattleCry a couple of years ago. It was pretty good, from what I remember. Wasn’t on an actual beach though - that would have been cool.

[quote=“amphigori”]I’ve a sudden strong desire to write or play in a pirate larp.

Treasure maps, cutlass fights, sandy beaches and so much rum.

That could be such a fun summer-time game with the right location. Bonfires on sandy beaches - your ship smashed to bit on the rocks. Stranded with a treasure map and no way to get the treasure out even if you do find it.
[/quote]

Arrr, I’d be keen to play that.

Yeah, there are heaps of holiday homes for rent on the kapiti coast that might provide a good base of operations, beach access and crash space.

Hmmmm…begins to ponder

There have to be some pre-existing pirate larps out there, eh?

There was an game in Auckland called Pirates! The website has disappeared, not sure where the rules can be found now.

For pregen scenarios, Freeform Games has a pirate one called A Dead Man’s Chest for 12 to 16 players:

nzlarps.org/freeformgames.php

Anna and I are planning on writing a Pirate LARP sometime after the upcoming St Wolfgangs weekend game. We’ve got some very cool ideas in our heads :mrgreen:

Oh I might be keen to contribute to that if you don’t mind someone participating by distance!

When I’ve thought of this kind of game, I’ve always thought I’d grab Dad and his boat and ferry people out to one of the islands in the Hauraki gulf… and pretty much leave them there for a weekend…

Anyways, keep going, people like pirates for some reason. Ohhh Arrrr!

Oh yay, finally pirate larp again! I’m missing that old one, only been to couple of games, and there were three in total, but they were great fun.

And the hats! Don’t forget the hats!

[quote=“Jared”]When I’ve thought of this kind of game, I’ve always thought I’d grab Dad and his boat and ferry people out to one of the islands in the Hauraki gulf… and pretty much leave them there for a weekend…

Anyways, keep going, people like pirates for some reason. Ohhh Arrrr![/quote]

It’d be like Treasure Island… but for real!

scurvyscum.com/

apparently the last game was a raving success…

There is also Burnt is Clean in the UK.

burntisclean.co.uk/bicindex

I like their system for flintlocks. You fire a cap gun, it has to go off, and then:

“We will be adopting an insult system for targeting. You must get your targets attention and insult them. The better the insult the better the shot.”

HAHAHAHAHA I love it - adopt it to the melee and you have the sound basis for a Monkey Island LARP…

:open_mouth:

[size=150]I OFFICIALLY DIBS THE CREATION OF A MONKEY ISLAND BASED LARP GAME![/size]

Well ours was going to have monkey island influences, as well as Pirates of the carribbean, real pirate etc etc. Im pretty sure insult fighting was on our list already cause its just awesome:)

Hmm, I had an Idea which could be cool. Perhaps we could run a simultaneous Auckland/wellington Larp where somehow they interact and affect each other. Perhaps there is some kind of mystical communication device with pirates on another island? cough phone or emailcough It could be really cool…

We could have a tribal council and vote to throw people off the island.

It’d be sooo cool! :mrgreen:

And we could film it! And sell it to tv channels! :mrgreen:

[quote=“No Rectangulars”][quote=“Jared”]When I’ve thought of this kind of game, I’ve always thought I’d grab Dad and his boat and ferry people out to one of the islands in the Hauraki gulf… and pretty much leave them there for a weekend…

Anyways, keep going, people like pirates for some reason. Ohhh Arrrr![/quote]

It’d be like Treasure Island… but for real![/quote]

Browns Island would be perfect for that. Nice mix of terrain, even a few pre-existing structures, mostly deserted, allows camping and the entire island would be only a little bigger than all of Motu Moana.

As I understand it, there were some gaping flaws in the old Pirates game system, the exclusion of guns for a starters leading to ad-hoc rules made on the day… haven’t seen the actual set myself though, but just something to think about.

If we’re talking about Lucy Telford’s old pirate system…yeah, better off making a new one by all accounts. Mind you, I was never there, I’m only going on hear say.

I was intending to write a one off 8 player theatreform pirate game but that’s been put on hold due to everything else in my life. I always forget how much time Wolfgang takes up, I’m not sure how I manage it, possibly strategic amnesia…

My intention wasn’t to run a pirate campaign and the game I wanted to write had a very specific flavour to it rather than just generic yarrrr I’m a pirate, look at my peg leg, so it’d be good to see a good old fashioned swashbuckling game being run.