Past Immersion PDFs

I was wondering whether we should turn the past two Immersion issues into PDF files and have them available for download.

I checked out the NZRAG thread on which Stephanie publicised Immersion. She was asked if we had an online version.

Perhaps our policy could be that we make a PDF version available a couple of weeks after the next version is sent out. i.e. we could make the March Immersion available next week, and the current version would be available sometime in September.

I think we should make all of them has .pdf’s now.
The more information people can easily can get the better, especailly since immersion is our main marketing tool and we print so many free copies anyway.
Being a member means you are certain to get a nice printed copy, with all the flyers and such as well.

When to publish each magazine as PDF is a trade-off between using the magazine as a perk for members and using it as a way of promoting larp in general. A lot of the content is date-sensitive (event calendar stuff), so three-months-old magazines would be frustrating for non members and could generate bad feeling.

I reckon it would be good to release each PDF about a week after the print copy goes out. Give the members a sense of their priority, but still provide the content to everyone who is interested in a fairly timely fashion. We don’t want to be perceived as holding back information that would be useful to the greater larp community.

It will probably take a week to get around to it anyway.

The PDFs should have the front and back covers in them. The covers are very appealing visually. It’s a bit of extra hassle to get them in, but totally worth it.

Given that Immersion is your project I think this is your call, Anna.

Anything holding this back?

St. Wolfgang’s is keeping me pretty busy at this stage :wink: Though if someone else would like to make the PDFs and put them online, I have no objections.

Craig’s created a directory for Immersion, so I’ll be putting up a website for Immersion soon, probably as soon as my fancy takes me. It’ll be fairly simple but it’ll house the .pdfs of old issues.

To that end, I’d like to ask how I can make a .pdf that incorporates the colour cover.

With this devolpment I’m scrubbing the project I was working on of trying to sell subscriptions to Libraries and Schools.

Yikes, it wasn’t meant to do that. Are you sure having back issues available online will really impact this idea? I don’t intend to put the current issue up until the next issue is out, if you see what I mean (i.e. Dec goes up when March comes out)

Let’s discuss this before we start scrubbing projects.

I’d think that making back-issues available would only improve the value of latest-issue subs, Scotty… and there’s nothing like a printed version. Librarians understand that.

IOk, I may have misunderstood. I thought you meant pretty much straight away. A 3 month delay may be more workable, although 6 months may be better.

Why not put them online straight away?

“Hi, we’d like to sell you this subscription”

“But you have it avaialble on-line for free”

“Ummm, yes.”

“No thanks, we’ll get it online”

I think there’s general agreement that it would be good to have the issues 3 months or older up. That could be a place to start, and then argue recent issues later.

Yeah right. Libraries know as well as anyone else what a paper copy is worth. Most libraries still have a Herald subscription, despite that it’s a shitty newspaper, it’s available online for free and is well-and-truly beaten into the dust by countless competitors.

k

Returning to the original topic at hand:

[quote=“Anna K”]Craig’s created a directory for Immersion, so I’ll be putting up a website for Immersion soon, probably as soon as my fancy takes me. It’ll be fairly simple but it’ll house the .pdfs of old issues.

To that end, I’d like to ask how I can make a .pdf that incorporates the colour cover.[/quote]

I still need help with that :frowning:

Hey these are made in Corel Draw now?

Maybe we should get the cover and a decent PDF printer onto Judit’s computer each time (ongoing this seems like the most logical way of doing it).

I have a PDF printer, but I don’t have Word. So I won’t be able to do the back-issues.

I can convert Word docs to PDF format, email me the documents and I’ll do it.

That part, I can do too. It’s the “How do I combine the word doc and shiny jpg cover into ONE pdf document?” part that’s giving me gyp.