Online RP Thread (Lead up to Bloody Valentine)

Turning around Daniel looked at Zek, “I didn’t realise you were a trained practitioner Mr Flaherty?” his eyes flashing down to the fresh bandages he’d only returned to the chest minutes earlier in the younger mans hands.

“You were due in earlier to have the dressings changed” He could sense some obvious discomfort in the man, " Nurse Blake has duties elsewhere now chap, but I’d like to take a look, see how the cauterising is taking and check for infections."

Dahlia quickly ignored this and followed Daniel’s lead in order to prevent Zek’s curiosity getting him somewhere.

“You should know Zek that I can’t chase you around for a while to remind you to come back for checkups” she said sternly. “Let the doctor take a look”

[quote=“Bryn”]Turning around Daniel looked at Zek, “I didn’t realise you were a trained practitioner Mr Flaherty?” his eyes flashing down to the fresh bandages he’d only returned to the chest minutes earlier in the younger mans hands.

“You were due in earlier to have the dressings changed” He could sense some obvious discomfort in the man, " Nurse Blake has duties elsewhere now chap, but I’d like to take a look, see how the cauterising is taking and check for infections."

[/quote]

‘Field medicine’, Zek wrote. ‘I’ve been patching myself up for years now.’ He looked down at the bandages, too, then passed them to Daniel, relenting. He sat down on one of the benches and started unspooling the bandages from his left hand with the tips of his fingers, wincing slightly as the last few strands tugged free from his wound. Only a little bit of blood; nothing too alarming. Although, he thought, the constant writing was probably not going to do any favours to healing his hands. He proffered it to the doctor, while studiously avoiding Dahlia’s gaze.

Fetching a small enamel white bowl from the metal trolley, Daniel poured some fresh clean water from the nearby jug. With a fresh piece of gauze the doctor gently washed and cleaned the wounds that had been recently stitched back closed. The skin stretched and sore, red around the hole where the rusty nails had been driven through.

“Mr Flaherty, I’m not sure that the constant movement of your fingers is helping with the healing. I’d like to bind your fingers for the next week or so give them the best chance to heal quickly and with the least chance of permanent damage.”

A look of minor panic crossed the younger mans face.

“In the meanwhile take these,” he passed a small pile of cards on which Daniel had written a variety of common words and phrases. “You should be able to get by with these in the short term.”

[quote=“Bryn”]

“In the meanwhile take these,” he passed a small pile of cards on which Daniel had written a variety of common words and phrases. “You should be able to get by with these in the short term.”[/quote]

Zek stared dumbly at the cards for a moment, and then started sifting through them with his free hand while Daniel bound the fingers on the other. ‘WATER’, ‘DEMON’, ‘PLEASE’. Unable to find one that said ‘YOU’VE GOT TO BE FUCKIN’ KIDDING’, he opted for ‘THANK YOU’. He held it up with a deadpan expression, trying his hardest not to show his actual gratitude too clearly. Because he was grateful, truly. They didn’t have to do this, and clearly the entire camp was not going to let him forget this for a long time as a form of payback. Well, he thought, this gave him more time to figure out how to adequately explain what he’d been told immediately before his injuries occurred.

He saw Dahlia smiling slightly out of the corner of his eye. He began sifting again, hoping to find a card that said ‘I MIGHT HAVE KNOWN YOU’D HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THIS’, but they’d clearly decided not to include one. He’d have to get Esther to write him one.

Dahlia was trying her hardest to not laugh as the doctor shot her a small knowing smile. Mostly because she did not want to wake up her father who looked as though he was stirring. Unfortunately, the suppression of laughter caused too much torso movement and she felt her back flare up in pain again. She quickly stopped laughing and clenched her face. Maybe they were being too hard on Zek, it wasn’t really fair for them to have a laugh at his misfortune. Now was a bad time for her arm to flare with pain too. ‘Why must they do it at the same time?!’ she thought angrily

Jane pulls the mail-bag over her shoulder and leaves the post-bunker. She’d only had a day to greet her friends, listen to Belinda’s good natured grumbling about how her hat had survived, and then it was back to work. Light duty of course, just a local mail run. The world still swayed a little on front of Jane’s eyes as she walked. Belinda and August had had to leave, they’d already been pushing their luck buy waiting here for her. August’s loud proclamations of “see I told you she wasn’t dead! I never doubted it!” would have been more believable if he hadn’t been crying at the time.

So now Jane was to be an Infernonaught.

The higher-ups had been very impressed by how little her mind had been effected by her stay in hell. Most people came out raving, Jane had come out… free. There were other effects as well. Jane rubbed the side of her face, where the wound she had taken just before coming through the gate had already scarred, faded and then healed. Her fingers brushed her cheeks, where the roughness remained.

She stamped the mud of her boots and continued her rounds, focusing her free mind on her duty. She had one month of recuperation, and then it was back to Hell.

At least this time she would have the proper supplies.

Lewy wakes with a soft whimper. He had been dreaming, of a small villa in the German mountains. Of a happy life with his wife, and new-born son. But then, like every night, the demons come, and his family die in his arms all over again. Then, without holy water to cleanse the wounds… he tries not to think about that. He reaches for the ring around his neck again, and suddenly regrets giving it away. “Fucking tradition,” he mutters. It was bad luck to keep a claddagh ring that belonged to you; they exist to be given away. But had he not been so sure he was about to die, Lewy would have kept it a little longer.

He simultaineously realises he’s been staring out the window this whole time, and what he’s going to call his new ship. A small smile creeps warily onto his face as he reaches for his plans, and scribbles “Lighthouse”.

Done for the time being, he picks up the food and drink someone had left out for him, and makes his way to the Taverna to find a better seat.

New and interesting forms of paperwork are, as always, a joy and a comfort. #74 thinks that guard duty is a bit unrealistic, given that Hanover camp already has guards on the outskirts. But maybe a registry would help? Just a little book, with name, place of origin, main affiliated group and an approximate description. She hasn’t discussed this with either Mr. Petrov (she feels more comfortable calling him “Sir”) or…Ms. Saskia, but she’s gotten the impression that paperwork is her department. At least it sort of distracted from the growing itch at the back of her throat. And the fluttering heartbeat. She’d sent out a request, but been informed that it was back to raw opium again. No one has the time to process it properly any more. All the processed stuff was being redirected back to Raasay, to deal with the influx. And she’d have to get a doctor’s note giving her permission. She was torn; bother the busy infirmary or bother Ms. Saskia to bother the infirmary. And she wanted a quick word with Jane, as well.
Ms. Saskia had left with a man who looked rather Sergeant-y. Perhaps she could show her the new registry and the man could be her first entry. She left quickly, waving at Jane on her way past.

Jane waved back at #74, cheering up. #74 had been very impressive this weekend, and seemed to have recovered well. Things were fine, most people were alright, or at least fixable… an almost memory, knowledge without context, of the strange properties of the geology around long standing portals, intruded on her thoughts for a moment… and the camp was back to being pretty peaceful. She hadn’t even gotten in trouble for hoisting part of the ICT up a flagpole, and she had managed to return the generator to the light-house before the repair crews had arrived to assess the damage Lewy had done.

Everything would be fine.

As he finished wrapping the wound on the left hand, strapping the fingers firmly, he nodded back, “My pleasure, now let’s do the other hand.”

In reasonably short measure both Zek’s hands were cleaned, redressed and strapped, and Daniel was pleased to see most importantly no sign of infection.

Watching his other patient wince he turned away from the Irishman for a moment. “Doctor I know we agreed to do without morphine, for,” he paused, “reasons…” His voice trailed off.

“I plan to speak to Ms Lilly, my understanding is the Romani have a number of herbal concoctions that would help with the discomfort without any of the unpleasant side effects.”

Returning his attention to the maimed Zek, “Right then, I need you to sit down and lean your head back so I can get a proper look inside your mouth at the damage.”

Dahlia sighed. Her problem had become bad enough that now when she needed pain relief, she was cut off from her own family’s invention. She knew whatever herbal concoction they were going to give her wouldn’t be enough, but it would be better than nothing.

She watched as Daniel continued to examine Zek

[quote=“RobotPie”]
Ms. Saskia had left with a man who looked rather Sergeant-y. Perhaps she could show her the new registry and the man could be her first entry. She left quickly, waving at Jane on her way past.[/quote]

“Bad enough. Raiders attacked one of the other camps and took control. They tried to take our supplies. I don’t think they quite knew what hit them. We lost two good men, but they lost a damn sight more.”

Ivy turns as she hears footsteps approaching and sees #74 approach. “Wait for a second Dorchester, I’ll introduce you to #74.”

#74 sees Ms. Ivy and the man who is probably a sergeant up ahead. Ms. Ivy is already turning around. They’re talking about the raiders. She catches the tail end of the conversation

“-we lost two good men, but they lost a damn sight more.”

“With all due respect Ma’am, we lost as many good people as they did.” But it’s hard for humans to remember the dead they never met, she supposes. Of course, the Campbell losses have been turned into East India gains, so she can’t complain too much. In fact, the Company’s rather pleased; the number of combat ready homunculi has increased. We must be the only creatures who are ambivalent about the increase of our own species.

But she smiles brightly, and sticks out her hand.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance, S-r…Sarge? #74 / Q-1 /196B at your service.”

[quote=“Bryn”]
Returning his attention to the maimed Zek, “Right then, I need you to sit down and lean your head back so I can get a proper look inside your mouth at the damage.”[/quote]

Zek nodded and tilted his head back, opening his mouth. It still felt strange - his mouth seemed much larger and less adept than it had been, like he’d been eating lemons and it had gone numb as a result. He was hoping that the proposed trip to the underworld would help the engineers find the supplies they were looking for, otherwise he’d have to ask the Society for help. He really didn’t want to have to do that - rumours that he was hearing suggested that the hell-borne tongue would be a lot more responsive and easily manipulated than any mechanical construction.

In any event, he could survive a while without a tongue, provided he didn’t choke to death on any of the ‘food’ that was being provided until the crops were properly harvested. And it would be nice, learning how to communicate without one. It’ll make you a better tactician, he thought. Or, at the very least, people will be grateful when you can actually talk again, instead of telling you to shut up.

Daniel started making musing noises as he inspected the damage. Zek raised a quizzical eyebrow.

After a moment of thought, Lewy decides to take the scenic route to the Taverna. He didn’t much feel like having to walk past the infirmary–especially if it meant being stopped and questioned about his leg again. He knows he should get it checked on at some point, especially after the beating it took during the battle, but the staff are always busy with more serious cases. Besides, the answer to their queries would be the same as it had been since he crashed; “It hurts like hell, but at least I can still get around”.

He nods a greeting at Jane as she passes by. Lewy was glad Jane hadn’t got in too much trouble over what they’d done to the ICT, considering he’d helped talk her into it. He considers stopping to ask her more about her time in hell, but decides against it. Now doesn’t seem like a good time.

He spies Ivy and #74 off in the distance, talking with a stranger. Hunger, for once, manages to subdue his curiosity, and he just waves from afar before continuing on.

Lewy enters the Taverna through the main door, and glances around. Just Esther and Harriet, it seems. He smiles and wanders over. “How’s she doing?”

[quote=“RobotPie”]#74 sees Ms. Ivy and the man who is probably a sergeant up ahead. Ms. Ivy is already turning around. They’re talking about the raiders. She catches the tail end of the conversation

“-we lost two good men, but they lost a damn sight more.”

“With all due respect Ma’am, we lost as many good people as they did.” But it’s hard for humans to remember the dead they never met, she supposes. Of course, the Campbell losses have been turned into East India gains, so she can’t complain too much. In fact, the Company’s rather pleased; the number of combat ready homunculi has increased. We must be the only creatures who are ambivalent about the increase of our own species.

But she smiles brightly, and sticks out her hand.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance, S-r…Sarge? #74 / Q-1 /196B at your service.”[/quote]

“hello #74, Sergeant Dorchester 152nd trench battalion, Roland to me mates.” he says extending a hand in greeting, “still gettin’ me bearings since i landed but glad to 'ave a bunk at last.”

[quote=“RobotPie”]
“With all due respect Ma’am, we lost as many good people as they did.” [/quote]

Ivy looks stricken, and reaches out and places a hand on #74’s shoulder. “Oh #74. You’re right. How could I possibly have forgot? Please forgive me? Their sacrifice was our salvation, I know it.”

Ivy turns to Dorchester after he’s made his introductions. “As #74 rightly points out, while Hanover Camp only lost two souls many more were lost in our defense. The Homunculi Corps heard of the attack and came to aid. With out them we might not have a camp left.”

Dorchester nods, “we 'ad homonculi with us in Beijing, served alongside ‘em in the trench defenses round the city, got a lot o’ time for you and yours mate” he says with respect, “many a time we 'ad our lads pulled outta the fire by 'em, and the other way too.”

Dray walks in with an eye patch dragging a sword and his gantlet dropping down on is other arm with no energy left and in covered in a few rips from a battle he had just had with some low level demons just on the out side of the camp
Dray looks around the Taverna with his good eye seeing if anyone had noticed him seeming he had been gone since the battle that he almost lost jack in and in a way lost Valencia as her memory of everyone had gone he felt he had to help seeming he was there when they found the location of gadget but wanted to be-able to fight on his own before he left properly. hearing the sounds of the child child still being safe always brought a smile to him but it is hidden from view because of his mask. Dray then wanders to an empty seat and sits down.lifts his gantlet arm up to the table but has no energy to hold it and it drops onto the table with a Thud! that echoed the building.