Nominations for Wellington NZLARPS committee

As noted in another post, the Wellington Regional AGM will be held at Thursday 22nd October. The core regional business is the election of a regional committee for the 2015 - 16 year.

What are the requirements?
You must be a member of NZLARPS wellington branch.

The committee has a light workload and currently meets quarterly. There are occasional online discussions. However some roles, such as Marketing, Gear and Treasurer will require a greater time commitment.

How do I nominate someone?
Post their name and the position you are nominating them for below. Nominations must be accepted and seconded.

Yes, you can nominate yourself.

What are the roles?

There are five core positions:
Regional Director - runs committee, chairs committee meetings, acts as regional representative to national committee.
Secretary- keeps minutes at committee meetings, communicates committee decisions to members, deals with any formal mail.
Treasurer - handles the money
Gear Officer - handles storage and maintenance of society-owned equipment, keeps records of what we have and where it is.
Marketing Officer- promotes larp to outsiders in an effort to recruit more larpers; updates community on what games are running.

In addition, the Regional AGM can decide to appoint up to two General Officers to handle anything else that needs to be done / contribute to committee discussion. Currently we have two of these . The RGM will have to vote first whether those positions are necessary before any election to them is held (so people could be nominated and seconded for a position which may not in fact exist)

I nominate Anthony Doornebosch for Wellington treasurer

I would like to second Anthony for Treasurer.

I would like to nominate Malcolm for Marketing Officer.

At this stage, due to commitments with game-writing and Kapcon, I’ll look at stepping down from a committee role. This is not to say the job is particularly taxing, just that I suck at punctuality.

I accept.

I nominate Hannah Doornebosch for Regional Director

I second Hannah Doornebosch for Regional Director.

I nominate Mel Duncan for Gear Officer.

I nominate Courtney Parnell for Secretary.

I second Courtney Parnell for Secretary.

I secind Mel Duncan for Gear Officer.

I nominate Scott Kelly for General Officer

I nominate Bryn Jones for General Officer

I nominate Thomas Joychild for General Officer

I second Scott Kelly, Bryn Jones and Thomas Joychild for General Officers.

I second Malcolm for marketing.

I accept

I’ll accept the nomination for general officer.

I’m going to decline the nomination for general officer but thank you though.

Thanks for the nomination for General Officer, I’m pretty busy at the moment so I’ll decline, however I will continue to be available to help with the flyers as I’ve been doing for the past few years if that is helpful.

Accept.
But welcome and encourage competition!
(Oh god, please take the gear away.)

Posted on behalf of Hannah, in response to her nomination for regional director.

Thanks very much for the honour of being nominated for regional director. It would indeed be an honour. Currently I would like to step forward and put more of my skill set towards helping NZLARPs. However, I feel I can best do this in the marketing and communications area.

Part of the marketing role is to identify audiences and grow the community. I suspect another part of that role may need to change focus a little. There’s been increasing media interest in LARPing and this seems to grow month by month. There’s interest from individuals, community groups, training groups (documentary students and article writers etc) radio, and TV media (TVNZ, 7 Sharp). I’ve been fielding a lot of this in relation to the Crucible musical of late. I understand our Hydras and one-off parlour LARPs and campaigns all select their own media responses for each enquiry as it comes. It can be a tricky balance between wanting to be welcoming and inclusive to ‘outsider’ interested parties while not wanting to break the immersion for current participants by having TV crews around in-game, etc. So, from what I understand, the responses fed back to those enquiring can be a real ad hoc mix. That’s starting to lead to some mixed messages. Some of the direct messages fed back to the media about what LARP is can also be a little contradictory.

The short of the long: I’d like to work on an implantation plan that includes a marketing and comms approach for how NZ LARPs can reactively respond to media interest, as well as proactively seeking to engage with media, and extend our current comms channels to grow membership and expand the community. I’d also like to look at a strategy for how to educate and grow these new LARPers we’re bringing in while also providing growth and training opportunities for established members.

I’d like to try and do this from a communications and marketing point of view and at a national level. And I’d love your support in this.

I fear it also means I should decline the regional director nomination. Thanks again for the nomination tho. Very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Hannah

Accept nomination for treasurer