National Committee - AGM Announcement & Nominations - 2023 / 2024

NZLARPS will be holding its AGM at 7:30 pm, Tuesday 26 September 2023. Part of the business of the AGM is to elect a committee for the upcoming year. We are therefore calling for nominations for committee.

As in previous years we will be holding the AGM remotely via Zoom. A link will be emailed to all members prior to the meeting.

The deadline for nominations is Sunday 17 September 2023. The gap is to allow time for email voting.

Every candidate for committee must be proposed and seconded by two members, but they do not themselves need to be members at the time of nomination. If you are unsure of your membership status, you can check it on http://nzlarps.org/ or by emailing secretary@nzlarps.org.

Nominations and calls for business can be made by posting to the thread below, on the Facebook thread, or by email to secretary@nzlarps.org. Any emailed nominations will be posted in this thread below.

There are five positions available.

• President - The President of the society shall be responsible for overall running of society, promoting the vision of the society, chair committee meetings, work for consensus in the committee, cast deciding vote in case of ties, attend meetings as society representative, liaising with all regional directors to coordinate the workings of the Society across New Zealand, managing matters related to the core function of the society, the first point of contact for those wishing to contact the society.
  • Secretary - Maintain the national membership database. Keep all club correspondence in an organised fashion. Send letters as required. Send reminders of meetings to committee members. Take minutes at meetings and distribute to committee members. Communicate decisions made by committee to members.
  • Treasurer - Responsible for society finances. Keep general ledger to track society expenditure and income. Pay all society accounts. Bank money received. Advise on availability of funds for projects and committee initiatives. Distribute budgets to project owners and receive repayments. Pass accounts to society accountant to be registered with the government. Present financial report of current position at committee meetings.
  • Marketing Officer - Identify online and offline communities. Devise strategies by which to promote larp games and events to these communities, with a view to recruiting new players into larping and potentially into joining NZLARPS. Coordinate marketing campaigns.
  • Information Technology Officer - Coordinate the creation and maintenance of information technology resources for the society such as the society’s website, online forum, communications technology for meetings, and the enablement of projects via information technology.

Each position must be held by a separate individual. If someone is elected to two positions, they must choose one, and the next highest-polling candidate (if any) fills the other.

I will track nominations here, and on Facebook:

President: Alastair K, nominated by Rowena K, seconded by Brad T, nomination accepted.

Secretary: Rowena K, nominated by Alastair K, seconded by Brad T, nomination accepted.
Sarah A, nominated by Malcolm H, seconded by Alexander M, nomination accepted.

Treasurer: Hamish M, nominated by Alastair K, seconded by Rowena K
Benjamin S, nominated by Anneke S, seconded by Rowena K, nomination accepted.
Rita T, nominated by Rita T, seconded by Malcolm H, nominated accepted.

Marketing Officer: Brad T, nominated by Alastair K, seconded by Rowena K, nomination accepted.
Sally H - nominated by Sally H, seconded by Stu S, nomination accepted.

Information Technology Officer: Evie G, nominated by Alastair K, seconded by Rowena K, nomination declined.
Rita T, nominated by Rita T, seconded by Malcolm H, nomination accepted.
Anneke S, nominated by Evie G, seconded by Amanda A, nomination accepted.

1 Like

I, Alastair K nominate the following individuals:

Secretary - Rowena K
Marketing Officer - Brad T
Treasurer - Hamish M
Information Technology Officer - Evie G

Note that we will include a discussion regarding the Incorporated Societies Act and a discussion regarding the future of our Society.

I, Rowena, nominate Alastair K, for President.

I second the nominations of:
Marketing Officer - Brad T
Treasurer - Hamish M
Information Technology Officer - Evie G

I accept my nomination of Secretary.

I accept my nomination.

I, Brad, second Alastair K, for President and second Rowena, for Secretary.
I accept my nomination of Marketing Officer.

Are there going to be any motions put forward with respect to this? If we’re going to be using electronic voting these will need to be on the ballot before the AGM, so it would be good to have some prior discussion so people know what they’re voting on.

I don’t believe the intention is to pass any motion on it this year. Incorporating the new Act is a huge task as our current constitution is rather lacking, and it needs proper community consultation. We have time to move to the new act, but once we have we can’t go back, so we need to take the time to do it properly.

@catnip Rowena is correct. There is no proposal as yet. I am hoping for a society wide-discussion over the next year. I have spoken to the regional directors as well regarding this.

With the new Act forcing re-registration upon us comes an opportunity to consider the question: is the current NZLARPS set-up still fit for purpose and what shape should our society look like moving forward?

I want to kick-off this discussion at the AGM and hope that by next year’s we will have an idea of what we want to look like and can craft a new constitution to meet that.

1 Like

I nominate Benjamin Seymour for National Treasurer

I second Ben for National Treasurer

With apologies, I am declining the nomination for IT officer.

I, Rita, nominate myself for

Treasurer
IT officer

I second Rita for treasurer and IT officer.

1 Like

Is there a plan to circulate short blurbs from candidates where there is more than one standing for a position? With membership spread across the country not everyone will know all the candidate.

2 Likes

I nominate @annekes for IT Officer

I accept the nomination

1 Like

I second Anneke’s nomination

2 Likes

I nominate Sarah Albom for secretary.

1 Like