Magic the Gathering - an epic magic heavy fantasy larp

So… as a MTG player of a very long time, i can not help but think it would make an awesome larp. This is just in the very earliest of idea stages, so please feel free to comment and be opinionated! Dont be put off by the name of the post, this would still heavily involve weapon fighting.

wizards.com/magic/multiverse/Default.aspx

Storyline:
You would be some one known as a planeswalker, with the ability to travel/teleport throughout the universe and all it’s planes. You would be able to chose from any of these races:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp … _Gathering

Each race may have certain colour restrictions with its magic, for example:
Angels can only use white OR black magic. Not white AND black magic.
Demons could use black AND red magic.

Setting: Zendikar - plane.

“Ancient, rune-carved monoliths called hedrons are strewn across Zendikar. Up to ten miles long, some of these stones drift in the sky; others are buried in the ground, some whole, some broken. They’re remnants of a lost civilization, but their original purpose is unknown. This ancient empire wielded unimaginable power—enough to suspend gravity and alter the land to suit its purposes. Trap-riddled ruins can be found on every continent. Mysterious glyphs hint at truths long forgotten. Unspeakable monsters lurk in the quiet of these hidden monuments of a forgotten past. These ruins still emanate power, and both planeswalkers and local explorers will undergo great peril to reap their rewards.
The plane is inhabited among others by goblins, elves, merfolk, humans and vampires. It is also the home of the Kor who have been abducted to other planes from Zendikar. Assorted wildlife, ranging from insects to beasts also dwells on the plane, posing another threat for explorers not to be eaten or killed by.”

Storyline:
For many thousands of years the plane of Zendikar has been dangerous, but almost in a state of peace between races. The only fighting being squabbles between the native denizens - the noble vampires, mischievous goblins, elegant elves, sturdy humans and - and recently the Nomadic Kor.
None of whom knew the dormant and potentially unstoppable power of the Eldrazzi lay dormant right below their feet! Until now… the Planeswalker, Nicol Bolas, a powerful dragon with always evil intentions has tricked a group of planeswalkers in to unleashiing the Eldrazzi who now wreak havoc and seem almost unbeatable.
The Humans, Kor, Elves and some of the Vampires have banded together to fight against the imminent destruction of their home, with aid from a handful of planeswalkers. This is not enough, and the planeswalkers have sent out a message to anyone who can help to come, or the result will be terrible…

If the Eldrazzi are not stopped on Zendikar, where the land has the power to change the tide of the war, then they will not be stopped spilling in to the universe and ultimately ending everything as it is known.

You would be a planeswalker who has come to fight the eldrazzi and various other dangers in zendikar, and your race would be from above.

NPC planeswalkers to chose from would be:
wizards.com/magic/multiverse … lkers.aspx on the left.

And as stated above the racial potential and awesome costumes are there.

There are 5 different colours in magic:
White: The magic of healing and protection. - plains magic
Green: The magic of mana and strength. - forest magic
Black: The magic of destruction and lifesteal. - swamp magic
Blue: The magic of of the mind and control. - island magic
Red: The magic of burning and ground shaping. - mountain magic

There is endless amounts of information about magic: the gathering. I seriously suggest checking out the website wizards.com/magic/multiverse/Default.aspx

I just wanna see the interest!

Cheers,

Jordan.

If I play Karn can I restart the game? </lame magic joke>

Also, so that’s your real name :wink:

pahahahaha oh lordy, try pulling (in two headed dragon game) jace the mind sculptors -12 on your own deck and then your partner popping -14 with karn! Restart the game with your whole deck on the field!

And yes… but now… you know too much >.>

You, ah, may want to read the card again. Especially the “exiled with Karn, Liberated” part… :stuck_out_tongue:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!111

Me Wanna play!

Definitely a cool idea but with these kinds of games you have to make sure you get the permission to run.

Or rather permission to use the name “Magic the Gathering” which is no doubt trademarked to the hilt by wizards of the coast…

I would give the opposite advice. Go ahead and make a larp based on a commercial property but keep it non-profit and don’t use their logos. Whatever you do, don’t ask for permission. They will routinely deny permission to everyone who asks, as a legal precaution to protect their intellectual property - not from you in particular, but from the precedent of allowing use of their property.

There are Harry Potter larps, Warhammer Fantasy Battle larps, Tolkien larps, etc, etc. The one thing you can be almost certain of is that they haven’t asked for or received permission. Fans write fanfic, have costume parties, make variants of games, and run roleplaying games based on commercial properties all the time. This is all perfectly ethical fair use of the properties so long as it’s not for profit, and publishers almost always respect this (and the enthusiam of their fanbase) and will leave you alone, so long as you’re not making money.

Well I only wanna play if I can be Serra Angel!! Pulls out special snowflake hat

… Hmmm though maybe a better costuming challenge would be wall of wood. Decisions, decisions…

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]I would give the opposite advice. Go ahead and make a larp based on a commercial property but keep it non-profit and don’t use their logos. Whatever you do, don’t ask for permission. They will routinely deny permission to everyone who asks, as a legal precaution to protect their intellectual property - not from you in particular, but from the precedent of allowing use of their property.

There are Harry Potter larps, Warhammer Fantasy Battle larps, Tolkien larps, etc, etc. The one thing you can be almost certain of is that they haven’t asked for or received permission. Fans write fanfic, have costume parties, make variants of games, and run roleplaying games based on commercial properties all the time. This is all perfectly ethical fair use of the properties so long as it’s not for profit, and publishers almost always respect this (and the enthusiam of their fanbase) and will leave you alone, so long as you’re not making money.[/quote]

I stand corrected.

I avoid problems by being called Star Wars not Starwars. Harder to do the MtG but you could just call it The Magical Gathering. (Or even easier - Planes walkers)

I call dibs on Ajani Vengent…

I Beleve Zane Is Ajani sorry adam

When I was in high school and discovered larp, I had to choose between playing Magic and larping, because I only had enough money for one of the two hobbies, so I’m amused that now Magic is merging into the hobby I picked! :smiley:

Anna, what’s your opinion on asking for permission? I quite like the points Ryan and Adam made but am a little bit worried about it… you’re the boss! what do you think?

[quote=“amphigori”]Well I only wanna play if I can be Serra Angel!! Pulls out special snowflake hat

… Hmmm though maybe a better costuming challenge would be wall of wood. Decisions, decisions…[/quote]

Pahahaha it’s gonna be hard deciding precisely what creatures can and can’t be played, i don’t think a wall would make for a very good planeswalker :stuck_out_tongue:

Serra angel on the other hand…

This doesn’t make sense and doesn’t work. Firstly, the movies are called Star Wars not Starwars, so you, Adam, are using the same name for your Larps as the official name. Secondly, slight variations in names don’t avoid the issues of copyright. Doing so can make it a little less likely that the copyright owner will find out about copyright breaches, but big companies are not likely to find out or care about small non-profit Larps in NZ.

I agree with Ryan. Fair use is allowed and non-profit larps probably fit within its bounds. If not, then the worst that is likely to happen if the copyright holders find out about and disapproved of the larp is that they ask you to stop, at which point you simply stop running the game.

I’m in. I had a card made for me. Kerensky the mage. He costs white and black to play.

I’d be interested!

Bagsy Tevesh Szat :smiley:

Tevesh is taken to lol

It’s a little discouraging to hear that all the figures people want to play are already taken.