Maelstrom

I’ve written a game for 8 players and unlimited crew.

It’s a pirate-themed game et after a shipwreck that will be played at Karekare beach.

It’s a somewhat “linear” game in that we’ll walk around 4km and play along the way, then walk back OOC (the walk back is shorter than the walk out there.)

The game will start late afternoon and end at night.

So… what’s the weather like 'round here late April or early May? Would it be appropriate to play a game like this, at that location, at that time of year?

Or should I hold off until next Spring/Summer?

Weather

Well given the summer we had, I have no idea.

Normally you could expect enough dry weather until May.

Easter is often the last weekend of summer activity.

And end of May for end of season weekend games.

I say plan it and keep an eye on the long range forecast.

Wouldn’t anything up to moderatly bad wind/rain just set the scene?

As long as people went prepared for bad weather with a change of clothing etc.

I worry about crew who’d potentially have to wait around in areas without shelter.

But I don’t have experience running an outdoor game so this may be nerves on my part.

[quote=“amphigori”]I worry about crew who’d potentially have to wait around in areas without shelter.

But I don’t have experience running an outdoor game so this may be nerves on my part.[/quote]
Set up a tent or two and cram in for warmth :slight_smile:

I’ve run games at Karekare. The beach is exposed, and you can expect wind of some kind on any given day. Ass long as it is dry, then it’s OK. West coast winters tend to be wetter than the summers, so perhaps summer/autumn (not spring, that’s typically wet, too).

One factor is time of day - a hot day on the black sand is very hot, lots of reflected light and scalding sand. Evening solves this, but if the game is designed for daytime, then winter/spring/autumn are the best options.

It’d start in the afternoon, then go through evening.

And, yeah that black sand is brutal. Got a bit of sunburn from mucking about all day yesterday.