Larp Conference - Theory, Discussion and E-Books

This is an idea I’ve had floating around for some time and thought it was time to put it to the community and see if there are any bites. I would like to start running larp conferences vaguely modelled on academic conferences, in the vein of the events they have every year (or is it every two years?) in Scandinavia, where they get together and discuss larp theory and then at the end, put out an e-book of articles on what they discussed for wider consumption.

We’ve got an amazingly agile, interesting and experimental larping community in New Zealand, where we not only play in different styles of larping (theatreform, ‘big fantasy’, White Wolf, experimental) but we routinely borrow elements from one to cross pollinate with another. With the advent of Chimera and Hydra, our writing scene has exploded. And if the volume (and sometimes intensity) of discussion on Diatribe is anything to go by, it shows many of us are really interested in communicating about our experiences and thoughts when it comes to gaming. We’ve got a couple of people in the community (Stephanie Pegg and Ryan Paddy, off the top of my head) who have written articles on larping for markets outside our own community, and a lot of other people contributed theory pieces to the magazine Immersion when it was running back in 2006-2008.

Basically, I think we have a lot of valuable thoughts and knowledge on the art and function of creating, writing, running and playing in larps, and I’d like to start spearheading a project to capture, discuss and publish. One day, mainstream academia will catch on to the fascinating (and valid) form of storytelling that larp is, and when that day comes, we’ll be ready with the goods :wink: In the mean time, I think will potentially help us connect better with overseas larp scenes, and make us look really professional too.

Conference and Content
I was envisaging a presentation/discussion format. People would submit abstracts for their papers in advance and a timetable assembled in advance. Each speaker would have set period of time (say, forty) in which to present their idea/article/theory and also allow for discussion (20 minutes of speaking/20 minutes of questions or discussion). Lively and passionate debate would be encouraged, heated debate would not. Topics would emphasis discussion and comparison rather than pushing the superiority of one idea/form above another. Topics wouldn’t need to be

Other ideas for activities that I’ve had include an open meeting for active/aspiring game organisers to discuss issues and ideas around running games in the present community - a chance to share experiences, advice, ask questions, give warnings. I’ve also thought a larp writing challenge might be fun: A genre (“noir”), a title (“It Came From Behind The Dryer”) and a writing challenge (“the game is from the point of view of cats”) are randomly selected from a hat, and everyone involved must write three characters for this larp in the three hour timeframe - meaning if ten people sign up, it’ll result in a bizarre 30 person larp, but if only three people sign up, it’ll be a 9 person larp.

Connecting with Other Cities
We’ve developed a fantastic culture of exchange with other larping communities in NZ, primarily Wellington, and there’s a lot of travel already for games. I’d like for this to be an event that involves the whole of the NZ larping community but without necessitating physical travel. One idea I had was for people to come into the conference remotely, to listen to the presentations. Another idea was that (like the national sci-fi con) it moves cities every year (alternating between Auckland and Wellington, say, if there was enough interest) or that Wellington and Auckland run their conference six months apart, each conference taking into account and addressing/answering/expanding on topics raised at the sister-conference, and contributing to the same e-book. I’m also open to other ideas.

Web Portal and Ebook
As part of this project, I’d like (like with Chimera) to have a really professional looking web presence where people can browse the e-books, browse independent articles, ask questions, read profiles of contributors and find out how to get involved. This site would be the opposite end of the spectrum from something like www.whatislarp.co.nz as it wouldn’t be for the newbies or beginners, it would be for people interested in critically examining the hobby and how it works in New Zealand.

I know larp theory isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I figure if I can get a dozen people interested to come talk/write with me about larp, that’s enough for a really solid start.

Thoughts? :slight_smile:

“Proceedings of the NZ LARP Society”

I’m keen.

Knutepunkt runs every year, rotating between the four Scandinavian countries (with the Nordic Larp Talks as a pre-event?). But its not just them. In Italy, there is the larp symposium, in France there is GNiales, in the US there is WyrdCon, and InterCon has just formalised its pre-con semi-academic stream.

These events have different foci. The Nordics are very academic focused, studying larp as a medium from the perspective of theatre studies or as part of gaming theory (they have actual university academics doing this, writing theses and publishing papers). GNiales seems to be more practical (must take time to read through that site). WyrdCon seems to have a lot of cheerleading. I understand that InterCon is going to do a “build your own game” seminar as part of its thing.

Given that we don’t have a lot of larp academics here, we’d probably end up being more practical. But it will inevitably take the direction chosen by its submitters anyway.

In terms of connecting with other cities, I like the idea of webcasting it. As for the physical event, establish it first, then rotating it between cities with large larp communities would be good.

(I am not a larp academic and probably wouldn’t contribute; I have no deep thoughts on larp theory to share. But I do like reading them in the hope of finding something interesting, and if people start producing such material in NZ, that would be good).

Great idea. Agree with Idiot about webcasting and possible move to rotating. Humbly suggest that a one-day event might be enough, at least at first. And finally, it might be an idea to give it a generic enough title that it could in future be rotated to at least Australia as well. Just like the Nordic folks can benefit from cross-polination, we Australasians or Oceanics or Antipodeans or whatever could too. Note that with Knutepunkt, the locals in each country organise the event when it comes to their country, it’s a rotation.

Actually, I already have at least one concept for an article/talk:

Live Action Role-Playing: Serious Business
A viral survey of the world’s larp-related businesses, estimating the scale and impact of the industry of larp, from professional larp event runners and service providers to manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of larp equipment.

This is an awesome idea. I for one am very interested in looking at larp from a psychological point of view, if that sort of discussion is something like what you’re looking for.

Sure, that’d be cool :slight_smile:

Totally agree!

This is brilliant.

I would suggest that a such convention contains two specific cage-fighting sessions. One, with foam weapons and/or nerf guns to resolve the eternal question of “Is larping a Geek activity ?”, and another to resolve the other eternal question of “Should all larps characters be limited to 1 HP ?” In this fashion, the larp convention could actually study itself, perhaps leading to some kind of perpetual-larp mechanism, which, in turn, could pose a solution to the overarching eternal larp question: What If We Never Stopped Larping ?

But, seriously, this is a great idea, and I’d be keen to attend.

One logistical aspect to think about is when are the northern hemisphere larp academics are likely to travel to Aotearoa ? If we could choose a time of year that naturally lends itself to travel for these people then we could potentially garner international interest in terms of getting some overseas larping ideas being expressed at the conference.

In the meantime, I will continue to prepare my seminal larp hyper-theoretical seminar: Teonn: A non-discursive study of a quasi-autonomous, semi-aggressively hedgemonising, multi-theist political structure within the confines of pan-racial, counter-aspirational military/magikal complex.

Now that I’ve whetted your appetites, I simply must provide a few sentences from my draft submission from my seminar.

Magni: Fire Elemental, or, Elemental Man of Fire ?

[i]With his chiseled repose, Magni - played by the enigmatic Ivan “Vanya” Essin* - at first blush, seems to be more pirate that pyro-technician, more magnificent than simply manly. His unruly locks and tousled goatee etch his face with emotion, sometimes animated, other times withdrawn into internally-driven conflict.

We meet at the so-called Inn. He gestures for me to take a seat, and then gazes out of the window wistfully. “You know, I had my ear cut off just outside there on the grass.”

I’ve heard this story before, how he was violated by the psychopathic Han of the pirate ship “The Lady”.

Was this, perhaps a sign from the All Mother that he needed to learn the gentle art of listening ?

I watch, waiting for him to continue. Magni fixes me with his Gehenna-like gaze: “You shouldn’t be interviewing me, interview Sir Xenith instead”.

I didn’t know what to say; Sir Xenith is notoriously humourless, arrogant and - shall we say - religiously unequivocal; and besides, he doesn’t do interviews, preferring instead to “interview with the edge of his sword” - whatever that means.

Back in the Inn, I point out that Magni is the true subject of my interview. “Fine”, he says, "but you have to understand how things were back in the day. We were just getting started, there were no rules, just a bunch of legitimate seafarers trying to get things done. And don’t get me started on Captain Kate ! "

His face lights up like a Lucifer Fire Starter.

"She was the best, I mean, aw ,fuck it. I can’t even begin to explain…me, a Fire Elemental, on a ship…but, somehow, she pulled it off. “
”[/i]

• Yes, that Vanya, the one with eponymous verbal entry in Wikipedia. Legend has it that on Broadway they now say “Bust out a Vanya” instead of the venerable “Break a leg”. Will it last ? Only time will tell.

Sounds like a great idea!

I am already conceptualising a discussion on the extent that (player) perception can become (game) reality and options for dealing with that in the presentation of Larp storylines - (I feel like I need a snappier title!)

HAHAHAHAHA, Thank you for that Mike, I laughed my ass off.

I have a discussion on writing characters for one off games, giving the players more autonomy to increase the buy-in within the confines of a short time span.

I think cooperative writing benefits from a bit more focus. See for example the structure of the US “Build your Own Game” seminars or the UK Peaky.

Sounds like a great idea! I’d certainly be keen to attend.

I too like this idea

I would be willing to be a part of a panel of GMs or something of the like, people who have run larps, one offs, campaigns etc. Maybe it could be a Q&A session or a sort of group interview?

Good thought, a couple of panel discussions could fit well, help break up the day a bit.

Maybe hold it in summer, and some place that’s out of town and has some tourist cred? So maybe, one day of talks, and one day of fun random stuff to hang out with people? I noticed that some of the overseas conferences are organising activity weeks before their conferences, with some things larp-related, and some “Hey, welcome to our country!” stuff. Plus, it’d make it easier to bring along non-larping partners/spouses to something like that.

You didn’t get enough of academia from doing your Masters Anna? :stuck_out_tongue:

This sounds like quite an interesting idea, and I would be interested in attending, but I don’t think I have tremendously much to contribute - although I would be interested in helping organise it.

Panels are good. One format I’ve seen work well is to have three speakers give 10 min each on a topic (likely delving into different aspects or perspective), followed by discussion between the panelists and attendees. That gives a slot for smaller talks, and for cross-pollination of ideas.

I figured it was the next phase in her plot to Take Over The World! Bwa ha ha ha ha. A ha ha ha ha…

:stuck_out_tongue:

I figured it was the next phase in her plot to Take Over The World! Bwa ha ha ha ha. A ha ha ha ha…

:stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]Ah right. Well I definitely want to get in on the start of that :wink:

I think this would be a great idea, if only as a more formal thing from what happens when a group of us get together anyway… :wink: