Larp combat safety + techniques workshop - beyond swords

Hey everyone,

There seems to have been a lot of complaints about unsafe shots recently, and I have made the following observations:

-It’s not just newbies
-A large proportion seems to come from weapons other than swords, such as polearms
-Pre-game safety briefings are constrained by time and usually can only cover basic single-sword fighting. However, being able to fight safely with single sword does not necessarily mean one can fight safely with other weapon combinations.

• While calling someone out on an unsafe shot during combat is helpful to let them know, it’s not going to make them safer if their technique is the problem

As a solution, I propose some combat workshops focusing on weapons other than just swords (although they could cover sword/single-hander stuff too if there are people that want to go over this). These would have the goal of getting people to fight safely but would also cover techniques of how to fight more effectively with these weapons. Some stance-type stuff probably wouldn’t go amiss either, as it’s a lot easier not to hit people in the face when they aren’t charging into combat head-first. Wrapped up with some sparring of course, as that’s the fun part :smiley:

I am happy to sort everything out in terms of organisation, but I’m far from an expert fighter and this would require some experienced people to do the teaching. So I am wondering who would be keen to come and volunteer some time to teach people how to use polearms/bows etc. Derek already said he might be keen, but the more the merrier. As for timing I was thinking maybe once or twice over the summer and another one just before Crucible so that people can get some tips on how to best use their shiny new weapons. This is definitely open to suggestions though, and it could always be folded in to one of the regular combat practices, depending on the level of interest from both experienced people and people wanting to learn.

Any thoughts?

The main thing I’d emphasise is that latex weapons are not intended for full contact.

In the UK where they were invented, the culture is to lightly tap your opponent with your weapon. For example, the rules of the UK game Empire say “You must pull all of your attacks so that they land with virtually no force”.

When you strike significantly harder than this, there is a risk of bruising your opponent. Especially if they are someone who bruises easily.

If you’re doing swordplay with people who all want to hit hard, then fair enough. But at a larp where you don’t know your opponent’s preferences, it’s best to aim to hit everyone with a soft tap, regardless of what weapon you’re using.

I personally think that swung weapons (axes, pole-arms) might be best if they require certified training before use. The weighting is typically such that you need to swing really fast to get through someone’s guard. This is fine if you hit them on the leg, but not OK if you catch them on the neck or head. Being able to swing fast and then check the energy in the weapon prior to contact is a skill, and needs to be practiced.

While I typically aim for the legs or lower torso, I sometimes need to attack elsewhere (e.g. upper arm) in order to get a hit. This can increase the risk because if someone ducks at the last moment, while I am committed to the strike, I can end up hitting them in the head (rare, but sometimes it happens). So perhaps some of the training can include attention to leg/lower torso shots.

I also agree that more combat practice = better combat ability, so I would encourage people to come along to Skirmish on Jan 19th (see my sig for more details). Skirmish, as the name suggests, is all about the combat :smiley:

I would be keen for this if the training was on Saturday.

I’m happy to show people some glaive techniques. Mostly footwork and attack vectors. as I see a lot of shots that are thrown without consideration of where peoples heads are likely to end up.

Also maybe some disarms because it never hurts to have that skill :slight_smile:

Maybe some time in the Xmas holidays?

Perhaps having a pre-skirmish event for teaching and practice?

I would be keen for this if the training was on Sunday.

Personally, I think that disarming in Larp is a really bad idea. Firstly it completely removes attack options from a player. If it was real combat, shield barging and grappling would be options, but in Larp those aren’t available. So I think it is unfair to employ in Larps when the options for unarmed people are so reduced.

Secondly, attempting to disarm someone has great potential to damage the weapon being attacked. If someone is holding the weapon tightly, then it can rip the pommel (which I have seen happen when Derek tried to demonstrate disarming) or damage the crossguard/quillons, which can be weak points on weapons. There is also the potential for the weapon to get stomped on once it is on the ground.
I think that unless you are willing to pay to replace the weapon you damage, you shouldn’t be attempting to disarm. It is one thing for weapons to get wear and tear during combat and accidental damage; it is another thing to purposely target weapons with attacks that can easily damage them.