Intrigue on the Orient Express (HISTORY CONSULTANT REQUIRED)

An idea sparked by this post ( http://www.diatribe.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5085&start=15#p64798 )

The date is 30 June, 1914.

Smoke drifts past the window as your train, the legendary Orient Express, pulls out of Budapest on the long overnight trip to Paris.

Despite the summer sunshine, however, the atmosphere in your carriage is chill and tense.

As a talented and valued member of your country’s, err, “diplomatic” service, you’re on this train with a very specific purpose - and, as you pull your fedora down nearly to the upturned collar of your trenchcoat, you rather suspect that more than a few of your fellow passengers are on similar missions of, umm, “diplomacy”.

Your mission could literally change the world in the days and weeks ahead, and it is absolutely critical that you succeed.

Because two days ago, the heir to the throne of mighty Austria-Hungary, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, was assassinated in Sarajevo.

And nothing will ever be the same again.

Wonder if our insiders at MOTAT would be able to arrange to use a train carraige whilst it is parked at Motat? Would add heaps to the atmosphere. Could maybe be done a weekend afternoon for less hassles with security? IIRC the train carraiges are parked out of the way at the back of MOTAT 2, so may not have too many otential onlookers.
Edit - oops - I hadn’t seen the other thread regarding trains…

i must say id be very keen to play this game

I’d play it.

That sounds like an intriguing game, I’d be interested to hear more if you write it.

I’ve always thought this would be a delicious setting for a game.

Very keen.

Sounds awesome :slight_smile:

Bring it on :smiley:

I so want in!! >.<

Well, there does seem to be a fair quantity of interest … to take things forward though, I’d probably need to consult a history buff with considerably more knowledge on pre-WW1 politics than I, although of course some artistic liberties would need to be taken in the name of making an awesome spy/“diplomat”/intrigue LARP. I’ve got plenty of ideas for the LARP itself, but it would help to have some definitive knowledge, particularly for background/settings/characters, so that things aren’t entirely ridiculous.

Maybe for Chimera? I could easily see this working for about 20 people … perhaps with set dressing to divide the room into two carriages.

Absolutely, this sounds exactly like the kind of game for Chimera.

Plus then I’d get to play it!