I'm gonna need guns. Lots of guns

(This post not related to any LARP currently known to man or beast. I’m just enquiring here for NO REASON AT ALL. Honest…)

Does NZLARPS have, or would they consider adding, 8-ring cap guns to their gear list? If they do have some, how many and of what type?

Cheers
Viperion

[quote=“Viperion”](This post not related to any LARP currently known to man or beast. I’m just enquiring here for NO REASON AT ALL. Honest…)

Does NZLARPS have, or would they consider adding, 8-ring cap guns to their gear list? If they do have some, how many and of what type?

Cheers
Viperion[/quote]
99% of the time gear is only added if it is for a game and thus has a project cash flow to allocate funds to. I am considering creating a props + gear project with Muppet to sort out the NZLARPS gear shed and destroy unsafe weapons + make safe any items that we can and look at building new props.

[quote=“Xcerus”][quote=“Viperion”](This post not related to any LARP currently known to man or beast. I’m just enquiring here for NO REASON AT ALL. Honest…)

Does NZLARPS have, or would they consider adding, 8-ring cap guns to their gear list? If they do have some, how many and of what type?[/quote]99% of the time gear is only added if it is for a game and thus has a project cash flow to allocate funds to.[/quote](emphasis added by me) You appear to be taking my bolded statement seriously. I would suggest that’s a strategy that’s prone to failure. I am in fact asking for a game that I am in fact writing, in conjunction with another member. The game will most probably be run at a time and place strongly associated with NZLARP and if there is any cashflow requirement at all (I don’t currently envisage that there will be) I will be submitting the appropriate paperwork quick-smart-like. Happier?

Gear is funded/stored/managed regionally, so you’ll need to clarify whether you’re asking about the Auckland branch or the Wellington branch, and then check with the committee of that branch. Projects in Dunendin fall under the Wellington branch I think.

I dunno if either branch has 8-ring cap guns already. There have been some western games in Auckland but they didn’t require cap guns.

Either branch would presumably be happy to acquire them if you ran a project with the society, if the project income would cover the costs of the cap guns or if that committee felt that the cap guns would also be useful for other projects.

Ah right didn’t realise gear was held regionally. Yes, it’s for the Wellington region, in that case.

Who said anything about a Western?

:wink:

Check your email, Matt :wink:

And yeah Wellington has a lot of them. I donated a bunch after I ran Diamond Geezers. Let me know what you need Matt.

Awesome, Scott. We’re looking for distinctively “Western” guns if possible - not the .38 Specials that we’ve seen at $2 shops. What have you got?

Sadly, .38 specials, 'doh!

We should do a $2 shop trawl and see whether anywhere has better ones.

Yeah, I had a look around the shops here (Dunedin) today at lunchtime - 3 different varieties of .38 special, and a rifle which could pass for late 1800’s aside from it’s size (way too small). I bought one just for me :wink:

Pistols seem very hard to come by except in that particular shape, for some reason.

[quote=“Viperion”][quote=“Xcerus”][quote=“Viperion”](This post not related to any LARP currently known to man or beast. I’m just enquiring here for NO REASON AT ALL. Honest…)

Does NZLARPS have, or would they consider adding, 8-ring cap guns to their gear list? If they do have some, how many and of what type?[/quote]99% of the time gear is only added if it is for a game and thus has a project cash flow to allocate funds to.[/quote](emphasis added by me) You appear to be taking my bolded statement seriously. I would suggest that’s a strategy that’s prone to failure. I am in fact asking for a game that I am in fact writing, in conjunction with another member. The game will most probably be run at a time and place strongly associated with NZLARP and if there is any cashflow requirement at all (I don’t currently envisage that there will be) I will be submitting the appropriate paperwork quick-smart-like. Happier?[/quote]

Don’t get super defensive with me because you think I am being critical - I am just telling you the facts. If you are planning on running it as a project and doing the paperwork then why are you even asking if we need them… thats like asking if we need somthing after you have already planned and put aside funds to buy it.

“Do you want potatoes or rice for dinner?”

“Ooooh, Potatoes! please. :smiley:

“But I already started cooking the rice.”

WHY ASK!?

What would you have said if we had just said no…

“Oh well - ok then… but I am going to buy them with project money when I set up a project.”

Yea - im getting defensive - mostly because I answerd your question and you assumed I was attacking you having assumed I OBVIOUSLY knew you were going to start a new NZLARPS project…

I am going to stop helping people out and start just trolling the forums soon if stupid crap like this keeps happening. I get punished for telling people how shit works because other people beat around the bush.

[quote]and you assumed I was attacking you[/quote](I’ve sent Xcerus a pm explaining my position, but I’m interested in an answer to this, so I can provide more appropriate responses in the future)

Does anyone else think my reply (the third post in this thread) was “super defensive” or that you got the impression I thought he was attacking me? It certainly wasn’t my intention.

[quote]and you assumed I was attacking you[/quote](I’ve sent Xcerus a pm explaining my position, but I’m interested in an answer to this, so I can provide more appropriate responses in the future)

Does anyone else think my reply (the third post in this thread) was “super defensive” or that you got the impression I thought he was attacking me? It certainly wasn’t my intention.[/quote]

Yea - thats really diplomatic - appologise and then ask any one else if they think I am wrong. Good work.

Golf Clap

Please, read my post again. I’m asking if your opinion is shared by others, and if so then I’ll need to change the way I post in the future. Seriously, this is not about you. I asking others to confirm your opinion, not to say that it was wrong.

Hell of a persecution complex you got there, buddy. (Yes, that’s an attack on you. Go nuts)

[quote=“Viperion”]Please, read my post again. I’m asking if your opinion is shared by others, and if so then I’ll need to change the way I post in the future. Seriously, this is not about you. I asking others to confirm your opinion, not to say that it was wrong.

Hell of a persecution complex you got there, buddy. (Yes, that’s an attack on you. Go nuts)[/quote]

Cool story - enjoy.

It’s easy for misunderstandings to happen in the text medium, and that’s all this was. The same conversation in person wouldn’t go this way, it would be all friendly and informative.

Matt - Adam is pointing out that your initial question of whether NZLARPS “would consider adding x to the gear list?” is pointless, which is true: a project can buy pretty much anything it needs, so long as it covers the cost with player fees. He wasn’t taking your joke seriously, he was describing the workings of society gear-purchasing, and it was a relevant answer to your question. To me your response reads a little tetchy, probably because of that misunderstanding.

Adam - not everyone knows how project funding works, so people can’t be expected to phrase questions about gear funding correctly. There’s no need to jump down someone’s throat because they misunderstand your answer - I suspect that Matt only sounded a bit grumpy because he misunderstood why you were saying what you were saying. Helping people gain an understanding can take patience and a willingness to diplomatically untangle misunderstandings. Calling people defensive won’t help fix crossed wires.

Matt - please don’t make personal insults, it is against the guidelines for posting for Diatribe.