If I were to put a team together

I’m not, my life is far too on fire.

But if I were:

Have I missed anyone?

2 Likes

This is “hats people will need to wear / things that need to be thought about”, rather than needing a separate individual for each job?

There’s a couple of extra bits:

• Gear maintenance & repair if there are multiple events
  • You have a set-dessing leader. Maybe someone to do design (at minimum, working out what needs to be done with each space) and sourcing the required materials as well? (Though this overlaps with gear, and is only necessary for large, complex events)
  • Site location scout (either for a site, or working out what works for various planned encounters / scenes / subevents)
1 Like

Definitely “hats” rather than “individuals”

All three of those are important additions! Thank you

I think there’s some stuff about this in some of the Knutebooks. Though they approach things more like a theatre production, with large props teams and sometimes a costume department 9when they are providing costumes to players). I’ll have a dig sometime.

1 Like

(Sorry, it’s just what I immediately though of when I read your title!)

Larp-organiser superheroes.

it’s more of an oceans vibe I think :smiley:

1 Like

OK, pet peeve induced rant incoming.

I’m.
Not.
Special.

Anyone could do what I do. It’ll be harder for some people, easier for others. I have experience others don’t, but I didn’t when I started.

You don’t want to? Fine, don’t. You want more support? I’ll give it to you.

But when you declare that people who do these things are special in a way that you’re not, you’re engaging in learned and potentially weaponised incompetence. It excuses not contributing. And it pisses me off.

/rant

Trying to praise people as “super” for wanting to Do The Thing, but yeah, OK.

I agree, its not difficult, and you can learn one thing at a time. If you do anything around larp or tabletop rpgs, or have any organisational or people-management or writing or costuming (or whatever) skills, you can do some of this. And splitting up the hats makes it clear that there are lots of different ways to contribute, lots of different ways to start, and lots of different combinations and ways of doing it, meaning you can potentially find a level of commitment that suits you.

1 Like

I totally understand.

Yes, validate and support people doing the work. That is drastically important.

Being treated like the person doing the work is super or special is my personal pet peeve, from a lifetime of watching people lean in to their learned incompetence and weaponising it in my direction.

2 Likes

Warning: counter-rant incoming.

No they can’t. Remember that thing where I wanted to run a zombie larp? For a solid three years? It never happened because I couldn’t find the two(!) extra people I would’ve needed to pull it off. And I never will.

I appreciate that you don’t think you’re special. And I agree that anybody can pick it up as they go. But don’t discard the fact that you’re the one that’s been doing this for years and years, you know everybody and everybody knows you, as being of no importance. Because that actually means that you’ll never have to work in a vacuum, and neither will those that help you.

From experience, that’s worth a lot.

But I’m 100% in agreement on the topic of learned incompetence and weaponising it to leave the actual work to the same people all the time. That happens far too often, and definitely not only in larp.

Okay, counter-rant over.