Help Im stuck with combat

hi guys
sorry if this is in the wrong place but not sure where else to post it
im trying to work out how to create a workable dueling system for a larp, i know what i want but not how to make it workable in larp terms, i want the characters to be able to duel for honor or other reasons along set rules that im trying to put in place but the actual mechanics of how to run them i don’t know as i don’t play with weapons like many other larpers so how is the best way to handle this/ write it up. how do you work out who wins the duel do you simply go first blood based on who is the better fighter with the larp weapons, plus or minus any benefits/penalties the characters have individually that might come into play or do you decide you will win beforehand and then roleplay it out?

i want combat to be apart of my larp but it’s not something ive ever played with as a player so any and all help would be greatly apreciated

This is good place for this question :slight_smile:

There are two main ways to resolve conflict in larp: concrete and abstract.

Abstract includes systems like rock-paper-scissors, and typical approach is that the RPS is resolved and the outcome is then roleplayed. e.g. if the conflict was a fistfight, they would then roleplay a short non-contact fistfight with the winner of the RPS winning the fight. The main advantage of abstract systems is that you can introduce game mechanisms to enable characters to have advantages over each other that are unrelated to their actual in-real-life capabilities. e.g. many larps use the Kick Arse RPS system, in which a Kick Arse character always beats a non-Kick Arse character on a draw (usually, a draw in RPS means you play another round of RPS).

Concrete systems include actually hitting each other with larp-safe weapons, and typically involves a hit point system whereby a character subtracts 1 from their current hit point total whenever they are successfully struck, and becomes incapacitated when they reach 0 hits points. These systems can also have special calls e.g. “double” which does 2 points of damage instead of one. Concrete systems tend to favour those players that are good at fighting, and it is more difficult to artificially improve a character’s ability at fighting (although special powers, extra armour, immunities etc can help achieve this).

Personally, I prefer concrete systems to abstract ones (and less-complicated to more-complicated), but that’s just me. Either system will work, it all comes down to what you, as GM, think works best in your game. One option would be to crew at a combat-oriented game and get some experience in larp combat so you can make a decision based on your experience as a crew member.

Mike has hit the nail on the head.

Abstract resolution can work well, if you have to take into account things the players just simply can’t do. Alot of systems use abstract resolution for non-combat things (mind control powers etc). Abstract also works well if your character is meant to be a master swords man and you are not (or the player of the peasant your trying to kill happens to a master swordsman IRL). Also venue consideration can come into it…we’ve held games in art galleries where “concrete” systems of combat would have resulted in serious hazards to the venue.

“Concrete” systems have more issues with the disparity between character ability and player ability and do tend to favor the players with actual combat ability (with others having to buy skills to compensate). As well as having issues around possible collateral damage to venue (only a problem with delicate venues) and weapon phys-reps required to be LARP safe, where as abstract can use real steel or fancy costume prop weapons as they are not actualy used for the combat it self. But actualy swinging away at each other is ALOT of fun.

Both systems have their uses, their pros and cons.

I have picked up a pair of cap firing flintlock dueling pistols, which I think could work well to resolving pistols at dawn duels with one loaded with a live cap and the other with a used cap. I’d love to use this system in a game at some point but not had the chance. If you’ve got the cash and its period to your larp it may not be a bad way to go.

When I was building the Combat system for Chrono Continuum, I read through the rulebooks of 5 or 6 other larp campaigns and combined a whole bunch of pieces to make it. If you’re still stuck, I would recommend not only looking at the combat rules for campaigns, but also looking at what some one off have used as well. I’d be happy to send you a copy of the combat rules for Truth, Justice and Spandex! if you’d like. PM Me