Game Poll - Character Driven Theatreforms

Which game(s) do you have interest in playing?

• Argonautica
  • Boats Against the Current
  • An Intimate of Devils

0 voters

I’ve been rereading some of my old Kapcon games, and thought it might be fun to rerun one or two :slight_smile: It’s the funny thing with larp games, you spend ages writing them then you run them once or twice and then they gather dust! I’m not sure if there is interest, or for which games there would be interest, so I’m running a poll to see if the community feels like some casual theatreform larping! The games would run most likely on a weekend during the day (I’m aiming for May and I’ll endeavour to avoid any clashes with monthlies) for the usual one-off price point of about $15 with drinks and nibbles provided. All of these games are about three hours long including briefing, character/roleplay rather than plot driven and were well received during their Kapcon runs.

My offerings are:

Argonautica
(8 characters - 3m, 3f, 2e. Modern costume.)

Desperate times, desperate measures. Down on ratings, down on funding, slowing slipping off the airwaves and into oblivion, an ailing television network launched its final gambit: a pressure-cooker reality TV show where the contenders for the grand prize have to spend three months living on a submarine, deep under the ocean.

It’s been three long months of claustrophobic life in the submarine for contenders and crew alike. For the contenders, it’s been a non-stop barrage of interpersonal conflicts, hoops to jump and psychological mind games for the world’s entertainment. For the crew, it’s been life under the network’s sword of Damocles. In the tiny confines of the underwater vessel, everyone knew that the pay off is the prize, all else must simply be endured. It has been three long months of gritted teeth and thinking of the money at the end, if only it’s all a success.

And now, at last, it’s all over. With the last of the crew and only three contenders left on board, the winner has just been announced and filming has wrapped. The cameras are off, the submarine has begun its ascent and in just three hours, you’re free. There’s only three more hours to endure.

Argonautica is intended as a intense, experimental larp dealing with mature themes and some horror elements. It is intended for experienced larpers to roleplay in an emotionally intense game that focuses on character relationships over plot.

Boats Against the Current
(9 characters - 4m, 4f, 1e. Generic 1920s costume, no specific requirements)

New York, in the throes of the roaring twenties. An age of defiance, rebellion, blazing forth into a bright future in a whirl of liquor and dancing. Recently, an eccentric but much talked about millionaire socialite has died under very questionable circumstances. Speculation abounds in the streets, and splashed across the papers - who was this man, really? Where did he come from? Who killed him? And why?

This afternoon is his funeral, and you are not at it. In the shimmering heat of summer you and other glittering people, none of whom were the sort to have anything to do with the likes of him, while away the afternoon slowly with alcohol, music and something akin to gnawing guilt.

A mature theatreform larp for nine people, inspired by “The Great Gatsby”

An Intimate of Devils
(10 characters - all gender neutral. Loosely Victorian costume.)

1. Three decades ago, London was stolen by bats. Dragged deep into the earth by the Echo Bazaar. The sun is gone. All we have is the gas-light of Mr Fires. But life goes on, lit by glowing fungus and candlelight. There are still people in Fallen London. And there are still temptations…

Tonight, you are at the Brass Embassy. An intimate little soiree, with four devils and their six human guests, entangled in the delicate dance around the matter of souls. They say all devils want souls, but why? Is it purely business, or is there pleasure, perhaps need, maybe something else altogether? And of humans, who would part with it? Why? What has lured you here, to Hell’s own doorstep on a cold Neath night, to risk giving your soul away?

The fires burning low, Mr Wines’ special reserves are dwindling and the Devils have brought out the treats. The world down here is complicated, and no one’s motivations, not even the devils’, is straightforward.

Based in the setting of Fallen London from the Echo Bazaar game by FailBetter games, but no knowledge of Fallen London is required. This game takes liberties with the game canon and the Fallen London setting is used to invoke mood and as inspiration. This is not an official game, it is only ‘fanfiction’, that is, I was inspired to write it by one of my favourite plots of the game.

In An Intimate of Devils, the emphasis is on interaction and character exploration. It is a mature, intimate game exploring relationships, emotions and philosophy around the trade of souls.

I’ve played “Intimate of Devils” and “Boats Against the Current” and I highly recommend them.

Not if you publish them - then they get run in odd places, like Lithuania, Sweden, or Minnesota.

It’s also on the list :slight_smile: I mean, it’s been on the list for like three years, but I’ll get there. One day. I think.

Keen!

If I happen to be in Auckland I’d be keen. I’ve missed the runs of Argonautica and Boats Against the Current here in Wellington.

I suppose it would be counterproductive to vote for all three, wouldn’t it?

It’s supply and demand. If there is enough demand, I will supply :slight_smile:

I’d be keen on any or all of these, but would just depend when they run.

I’ll have to see where there is room in the calendar and try not to clash too much with anything existing.

The games were in dead heat all yesterday, then overnight the Fallen London fans must have come out of the woodwork and Intimate of Devils took the lead for the first time.

[quote=“Anna K”]
The games were in dead heat all yesterday, then overnight the Fallen London fans must have come out of the woodwork and Intimate of Devils took the lead for the first time.[/quote]
The usually only come out at night…

Is there anything on during the day of Saturday, May 10th? I know Phoenix rising is on in the evening, but morning/afternoon are free?