Game forums

I’m wondering about changing the structure of the regional & game forums.

Hannah just asked me to bring Quest Waikato out of archive and put it in the Hamilton forum - but we don’t currently list games by region, so it went into “Games” with the others.

But maybe we should list the regional discussion forums and games by region? Like this:

Auckland
Auckland discussion
Chimera
Chrono Continuum
The Crucible
Jade Empire
Sabbat
Skirmish
Star Wars
The Zone

Hamilton
Hamilton discussion
Knightshade
Quest Waikato

Wellington
Wellington discussion
33AR
Hydra
Kingdom
The World That Is

Christchurch
Christchurch discussion

Dunedin
Dunedin discussion
Packs Dominus: Forsaken Dunedin

If we did this, I might move the “Archive” down into the Admin section (with the Support forum). Rather than having an archive for each region.

Thoughts? Would this make it easier for people to find games in their area? Would the forum front page be easier or harder to navigate? One problem I foresee is where to put multi-region games like The Crucible.

Also, should we consider naming them by region instead of city? E.g. Auckland, Waikato, Wellington, Canterbury, Otago?

I think that’s quite a good idea, it makes it more clear where games are running.

I think with games like The Crucible, even though there might be events in wellington, it will be primarily an Auckland game (I’m guessing) so it would be fine to put it into the Auckland section.

I think that’s a pretty good idea too, although wasn’t there talk about running Crucible games in both Auckland and Wellington?

BTW, you can safely archive the Packs Dominus Forum, that game finished mid-year.

Thanks, have done.

What do you think of Otago as opposed to Dunedin? I’m just thinking in terms of trying to be inclusive rather than focusing solely on cities.

Auckland and Wellington are the names of both cities and regions, so it’s moot for them.

Another option, until there’s growth in the number of events running, would be to have:

South Island
Christchurch discussion
Dunedin discussion

Personally I prefer the new suggested layout - I think it makes it more clear which region the different games are associated with, which won’t make much of a difference to long term members of Diatribe, but might just help people who are fairly new to the Society and Diatribe. I also prefer the idea of using the regions as opposed to the cities, as it feels more inclusive to me, although the cities do have the advantage of being more specific on where games are being run. But I’m not particularly bothered either way, so I’m happy to go along with whatever everyone else wants.

As for Crucible, ultimately it is a project with the Auckland branch, so I think that’s where it should go. I don’t think there’s anything to stop the GMs from putting a thread in the Wellington discussion forum pointing out that they’ve got a game coming up in Wellington if they do plan to hold one down there.

I think all projects are technically national. However, any branch can accept a project on behalf of the society.

Whereas project events are completely regional, along with their budget approval.

At least, that’s how it was discussed prior to regionalisation. I don’t recall if that’s explicit in the constitution.

I think all projects are technically national. However, any branch can accept a project on behalf of the society.

Whereas project events are completely regional, along with their budget approval.

At least, that’s how it was discussed prior to regionalisation. I don’t recall if that’s explicit in the constitution.[/quote]

I thought they were regional, considering that all the organisation and liasing is done with the regional committee. Of course I could be wrong, but it makes sense.

Nope, looks like I remembered right:

[quote=“NZLARPS Constitution”]27. SOCIETY PROJECTS
A Project shall be an event, a series of events, or other collection of work such as a publication wholly owned by the Society. A Project shall be a Project of the Society as a whole while the events that make up the project shall be under the auspice of the Regional Branch of the region in which the event is held. [/quote]

It’s a technicality though. For all practical purposes, in most cases, projects liaise with a regional committee.

To be brutally honest, Otago and Dunedin both encompass every larper I’ve ever heard of in this region :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you going to put Waikato or Hamilton? I’d just go along with whatever precendent that sets. At the present moment (and for the forseeable future) Dunedin would be more accurate, but I guess there’s a chance larping could spread out of the city… somehow…

I’d like Jared’s feedback on that. It also pertains to whether there might eventually be an “NZLARPS Waikato” or “NZLARPS Hamilton” branch, and “NZLARPS Dunedin” or “NZLARPS Otago”, etc. But the forum names can easily be changed later, so happy to leave it Dunedin for now. Branch names on the other hand may be a pain to change.

There are some larpers outside the cities, and it’s something we might be able to grow. TK from out Gisborne way is one.

Getting off topic, but Raouls said his daughter Lucretia has been recruiting the local teenagers into stuff that she does up North - Kerikeri I think. So potential for something up North to …

Like the idea of games by region BTW.

NZLARPS Northland has a nice ring to it. :slight_smile:

This is in place now.

Looks good. Is the order geographical?
Does that mean NZLarps Northland will potentially be put above Auckland?

Yes, it’s currently north to south.

We could always change it to alphabetical or biggest to smallest.

If we wanted to change it to regions with most activity on Diatribe now, it would just involve moving Wellington above Hamilton.

The cities used is ok with me, they are regional capitals in a sense anyways. You could always regionalise by going Hamilton (Waikato). Except of course Auckland is both a city and a region… the real point is people can look at them and go, oh good there is larp in my area.