Fairytale alliances

Hi all

i have to say this is not something i’ve actually done before, but i’ve been thinking for a while on and of since Kapcon but especially since i came back from Hydra about would it be possible to write a LARP based on a book by M.M. Kaye. i’ve looked at the plot and can find basic characters plus i think parts where i can expand it and i have some questions that could use some answers.

1. its been said previously that the gaming numbers in NZ games are diffrent to those overseas so do i need to write for a 50/50 split or just ensure that i have some parts of each?
  2. how big or small, is to big for your first Larp
  3. apart from Larpwriter is there any other useful tools i should be aware of

Many games at Hydra had more women than men, as do many in Wellington (maybe its the games we’re writing, maybe our female larpers are just more organised).

If you have to have hard genders, write for a 50/50 split. If you can have some androgynous / non-hard-gendered characters, then they provide a lot of flexibility.

I’d try writing about 15 characters for your first game. Smaller larps need more plot and more work, since you can’t just rely on random interactions to carry the load. Larger is a lot more work. IME, a single writer can handle about a 20-player larp themselves; beyond that, you need co-writers.

The rpg.net wiki has a list of gender neutral names. For non-gender neutral ones, there are plenty of online lists and generators around.

There are several good articles on larpwriting, including these:

flar.demon.co.uk/freeform/ar … ocess.html
skaro.com/larpdex.html
home.comcast.net/~diewald/byog/home.html
locustforge.za.net/wiki/LARPs/HowToWriteALARP (down ATM; hopefully back up soon)

[quote=“daena”]Hi all

i have to say this is not something i’ve actually done before, but i’ve been thinking for a while on and of since Kapcon but especially since i came back from Hydra about would it be possible to write a LARP based on a book by M.M. Kaye. i’ve looked at the plot and can find basic characters plus i think parts where i can expand it and i have some questions that could use some answers.

1. its been said previously that the gaming numbers in NZ games are diffrent to those overseas so do i need to write for a 50/50 split or just ensure that i have some parts of each?
  2. how big or small, is to big for your first Larp
  3. apart from Larpwriter is there any other useful tools i should be aware of[/quote]
  1. 50: 50 is safe right now. It depends where and when you plan to run.
  2. I don’t think there is a real answer to this. The important part seems to be a date to run it. Without a deadline, many projects just end up abandoned. Having people to write with helps with motivation too. It really depends on you, how you write, and what inspires you. When it comes to running a game, it’s really useful not to have to do it alone… especially the first time.
  3. I use PBWiki to write, but that’s partly because I know it and it fits my approach (because it’s flexible). I tried to use Larpwriter, but I’m too set in my ways. :wink: There are many articles and discussions on how to write larps. It’s a good idea to read a few of them, and talk to people about what they like. But don’t be afraid to do something different. Some of my favourite larps were well away from the beaten track. Oh, and reading the games others have written really helps too.