Chimera flagship 2013 - The Rose and the Dragon

[size=120]At Chimera 2013 we invite you to step into another milieu. With 160 players spread across four venues, our flagship game The Rose and the Dragon will bring to life the great hall, the humble village, the forest folk and the war camps of England in the Middle Ages, all in one massive event.

In the Barony of Thamesly a curious custom has arisen to mark the festival of May Day. Paying homage to a local myth, the villagers costume themselves as forest creatures and parade up the road to the Great Hall. Among them is a ferocious dragon, which only a rose from the lady of the manor may tame.

This year on May Day the barony is host not only to the usual wild festivities of the village folk and those who live in the greenwood, but also several courts of nobles who are travelling to Westminster to petition the king, and the camps of their soldiers who are preparing for war.

It is the Year of Our Lord 1221, and the fourteen-year-old boy Henry III is King of England. His reign is marked by struggle against the Magna Carta, which his father King John was forced to sign by the barons. Civil war beckons between his noble supporters and those who seek to constrain the royal powers and call a parliament.

It is an age of vast contrast between the educated nobles and illiterate peasants, the god-fearing clergy and violent knights. Kings rise and fall, realms are gained and lost, and the intrigues of village life may touch even the mighty.

The village children sleep restlessly, for tomorrow will be the best day of the year. The dancing! So many strangers! And the parade![/size]

I’m happy to announce the flagship game for next year’s Chimera.

The Rose and the Dragon will consist of four interwoven games, all set on May Day in the Barony of Thamesly in England, 1221 AD. I’m coordinating the game, and Anna Northey has stepped up to lead the set dressing team again. The writing team so far is Mike Curtis, Matt Swain, Jacqueline Brasfield, Malcolm Harbrow, Donna Giltrap, Dave Agnew and Martin Clyde.

Our aim is to create a microcosm of medieval English society that players can stray into for one evening, to celebrate a festival to welcome the coming of summer in a bygone era. Each character will be written as part of one of the four games, but will also cross over with characters in the other three, and players will be able to move between the four venues freely. The result will be a huge immersive experience.

We look forward to seeing you all there!

Neat! I’ll be wearing chainmail. Haha.

Wow. Ambitious!

Looking forward to it.

Awesome Sauce!

[quote=“Stephanie”]Wow. Ambitious!

Looking forward to it.[/quote]
What Stephanie said :slight_smile:

It does look fun.

Count me in for backdrops if you need them. I have secured my studio for one more term so think about what you want and I will do my best to paint it. I still have the “happily ever after” backdrops which can be refirbished (use the other side), and given over to NZLARPS after we have finished with them. 8)

ditto, happy to help Anna Northey, i had contacts.

ps:reminds me of mordavia days :slight_smile:

I’d like to welcome Claire Ahuriri and Kath Dewar to our writing team on the flagship.

Progress update: we now have 160 character concepts written for next year’s Chimera flagship, The Rose and the Dragon.

Congratulations to all the writers for the great progress so far.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Progress update: we now have 160 character concepts written for next year’s Chimera flagship, The Rose and the Dragon.

Congratulations to all the writers for the great progress so far.[/quote]That seems quite quick. Go team! :slight_smile:

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/citizen_cane.gif

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]Progress update: we now have 160 character concepts written for next year’s Chimera flagship, The Rose and the Dragon.
[/quote]

Wow, you guys are awesome! :open_mouth:

This sounds awesome, what a great solution to our growing numbers, as well as a great setting in general. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out!

The latest update on progress for the flagship is that we’ve finished plotting out the all connections and intrigues between the characters. Now we’re starting into writing character sheets.

Also, I’d like to welcome Helen Jones-Rippey to the writing team. Helen has been a great help during the character integration phase we’ve just finished.

You guys are scarily well organised…

Latest update on progress on the Chimera flagship: we’ve written about 70 characters.

Awesome work by the writers has meant we’re tracking along pretty close to our schedule.

Still hoping to avoid the dreaded crunch at the end! I figure on a game this big, a last minute rush is no longer a real option.

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who has signed up for The Rose and the Dragon and completed the questionnaire!

We’re working on casting at the moment, so if you’ve signed up for the flagship but haven’t done [color=#0040FF]the questionnaire[/color] please do as it will help us to cast you.

Note that we have adjusted the [color=#0040FF]character list[/color] for The Greenwood area. If this affects your interest in characters in that area, drop us an email at the.rose.and.the.dragon.larp@gmail.com to say what your new preferences are.

I’ll keep in touch here as we approach being ready to send out casting.

Cheers,

Ryan

The level of excitement in some of the questionnaire notes is something to behold, by the way. It’s gonna be epic. :wink: