Chain Gang Discussion (Public)

Good idea. You can help me make poor life choices :smiley:

I play an Academic, come swell.

Professor Captain William James T. Adams, of Boston. Areas of expertise are anthropology, archaeology, and general antiquity, If itā€™s, old, esoteric, or people have forgotten about it, then William probably knows something about it.

His life is a matter of public record. Thatā€™s what happens when you are rich. If that interests you I can add a little info.

In the chain gang because he broke the law, and the family made him actually do the time.

1 Like

I think itā€™s probably unlikely that weā€™d have crossed paths before, but I look forward to meeting you in game. I might be playing one of the few lower class members of the chain gang :wink:

This is reminding me that the Chain Gang have such interesting stories, and that I should interview them for the Review.

3 Likes

How refreshing! A member of the chain gang that actually admits to being guilty! :smiley:

Iā€™m looking forward to this next game so.much.

2 Likes

(only a month late to the party)

Hello! Welcome to the Chain Gang. Iā€™m playing Eliza Oā€™Connor, Irishwoman with an Oceanic accent and in for various murders, theft, and identity fraud. Sheā€™s been nicknamed Surly Sue and has an itchy trigger finger, and doesnā€™t talk much unless directly addressed.

Outlaw/Gunslinger build! Looking forward to seeing you at the game!

1 Like

Pleased to meet you. Iā€™ll be playing Sally Calahan, a New Yorker of Irish Descent. Clearly weā€™ll need to share a drink sometime.

1 Like

For anyone whoā€™s interested in this sort of business, hereā€™s a price list from 1883 (Source: Gangs of New York by Herbert Asbury)

Punchingā€¦$2
Both eyes blackedā€¦$4
Nose and jaw brokeā€¦$10
Knocked out with a blackjackā€¦$15
Ear chewed offā€¦$15
Leg or arm brokeā€¦$19
Shot in legā€¦$25
Stabā€¦$25
Doinā€™ the big jobā€¦$100+

1 Like

:open_mouth: I donā€™t know what shocks me more. That this price list exists - or that the prices are so low by todayā€™s standardsā€¦

Inflation. The average wage for a factory worker at the time was US$10 / week, with foremen getting $15 - $20. Alternatively, its 10 cents for a shot of whiskey, and $1 for a bottle. So a weekā€™s wages for a serious assault, and a few bottles for a minor one doesnā€™t seem too weird.

As for the list existing, I guess the gangs were providing a commercial serviceā€¦