Bilgerats and Buccaneers

…is now The Final Voyage of the Mary Celeste

Unfortunately, there are too few people signed up to allow us to run Tigger’s wonderful pirate comedy, “Bilgerats and Buccaneers”. We had held out hope that there would be enough sign ups closer to the event to make it possible but nearing the eleventh hour, we’ve regrettably had to make the decision to not go ahead. We hope we’ll be able to run it in Wellington at a better time in the future!

In it’s place on Friday evening at Hydra, I will be running “The Final Voyage of the Mary Celeste”. It’s a well-loved, highly entertaining pulp-adventure theatreform scenario from the USA, and is inspired by the story of the real-life ghost ship, the Mary Celeste.

Background
It is November 1872. The brigantine Mary Celeste has been at sea for 23 days en route from New York to Genoa with a cargo of 1700 casks of commercial alcohol. It is a cargo the ship’s complement is unfamiliar with. The Mary Celeste lies approximately 500 miles off the island of Santa Maria in the Azores…

A week later, the ship is found, abandoned, its cargo untouched. The crew is never found. Over the years, many bizarre theories have arisen to explain what happened on that fateful night, from aliens, to sea monsters, to time travellers. This bizarre mash up takes inspiration from the known facts and the conspiracy theories to place the characters a few hours before the fateful disappearance.

Characters
(please note: character genders may change on casting)
Captain Benjamin Briggs - M - Captain of the Mary Celeste
Sarah Elizabeth Briggs - F - The Captain’s Wife
Lizzie Briggs - F - The very young daughter of the Captain and Sarah
The Ship’s Cat - M/F - The ship’s cat
Albert Richardson - M - First Mate
Dane Gilling - M - Second Mate
Johan Goodschad - M - Seaman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste
Johan Volkert - M - Seaman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste
Johan Lorenzen - M - Seaman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste
Johan Martens - M - Seaman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste
Albert Head - M - The ship’s cook
Uli Morning Song - F - A castaway taken onboard
Amelia T. Rangel - F - A stowaway found on board
Argent - M/F - a young shipwreck victim
Dorothy Enemoratta - F - shipwreck victim

Costuming
The game is set in the mid 19th century on a ship, but apparently sailors didn’t dress much differently to today. I know many of your were expecting a pirate game, so feel free to dress up like a pirate anyway. Otherwise, loosely 19th century style clothing for most people. There is absolutely no need to fret about authenticity, we’re playing a game about conspiracy theories things will get weird pretty quick.

Casting Questionnaire:
Has been sent to all registered players. Seeing as we are very close to Hydra, I’m hoping to cast and send out character sheets on Wednesday so please fill this in as soon as possible.

Cast list has been sent out. Character sheets will be sent tomorrow.

THE CREW AND PASSENGERS OF THE MARY CELESTE
Captain Benjamin Briggs - M - Captain of the Mary Celeste - IdiotSavant
Sarah Elizabeth Briggs - F - The Captain’s Wife - Nasia
Lizzie Briggs - F - The very young daughter of the Captain and Sarah - Amanda A
The Ship’s Cat - M - The ship’s cat - Dale C
Albert Richardson - M - First Mate - Daniel Z
Dane Andrew Gilling - M - Second Mate - Dave A
Johan Goodschad - M - Seaman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste - Thomas J
Johan Volkert - M - Seaman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste - Brent J
Johan Lorenzen - M - Seaman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste - Ciaran S
Johanna Martens - F - Seawoman, crewmember of the Mary Celeste - Lisa A
Matilda Head - F - The ship’s cook - Rebecca H
Uli Morning Song - F - A castaway taken onboard - Michelle B
Amelia T. Rangel - F - A stowaway found on board - Ellen B
Barbara Port - F - A shipwreck victim - Leonie R
Dorothy Enemoratta - F - A shipwreck victim - Sarah L

All character sheets have been sent out. If you have not received yours, please contact me as soon as possible.

I’ve also emailed out two additional handouts this afternoon for all the players, a general information handout and the live combat rules as rewritten by Ryan Paddy. If you did not get them, they are attached to this post.

That’s it from me, see you on Friday at the game!