Bilge Rats and Buccaneers

Cast list for Bilge Rats and Buccaneers!
Captain ‘Bloody’ Bill Wilkins of the Black Joke: Bryn Jones
First Mate ‘Gypsy’ Jade Moody of the Black Joke: Jade Halamore
Captain Bartholomew ‘Bones’ Spriggs of the Devil’s Doom: Tim Creegan
First Mate Henry ‘Headshot’ Vane of the Devil’s Doom: Richard Hawkes
Captain John “Cannonball’ Crow of the Revenge: Yahn Darkwood
First mate ‘Mad’ Max Walker of the Revenge: Brad Thompson
Captain Jane ‘Cutthroat’ Cooper of the Evil Death: Nicole Landers
First Mate Edward ‘Dagger’ Avery of the Evil Death: Stephen Brough
Captain Audrey ‘Shiny’ Silver of the Rising Sun: Tara Dalefield
First Mate ‘Rotten’ Robert Reed of the Rising Sun: Dave Luxton
Captain Olivia ‘Blood’n’guts’ Kidd of the Snap Dragon: Cheryl Frederick
First mate Morgan ‘Sucker Punch’ Adams of the Snap Dragon: Kirsten Goodall
Captain Henry ‘Gunpowder’ Greaves of the Sudden Death: TK Cram
First Mate Nathanial ‘No Quarter’ Hayes of the Sudden Death: Matt Swain
Captain Black Ben of the Flying Dragon: Rob Shaw
First Mate Charlotte ‘Cat’o’nine tails’ Wall of the Flying Dragon: Naomi Guyer
Captain Margret ‘Maggie’ Hook of the Black Plunder: Nik Crombie
First mate ‘Gorgeous’ George of the Black Plunder: Gareth Hawkin
Captain Blood of the Neptune’s Cutlass: Helen Jones-Rippey
First Mate ‘Scurvy’ Sally of the Neptune’s Cutlass: Liz McCombe
Captain Annie the Axe murderer Clegg of the Wolf of Tortuga: Lucretia Griffiths
First Mate ‘Two-toes’ Thomas of the Wolf of Tortuga : Abe Horrocks

Rules –
Contracts signed in blood are binding as are blood oaths – this is where you each cut your hand and shake on it.

You can challenge anyone you like to a duel. If they accept, they get to determine the terms of the duel. For example, they could decline combat for a game of Liar’s dice. Combat takes place as ordinary LARP combat.

Liar’s dice: We are intending that players will occasionally gamble on a game of chance. Liar’s Dice is the pirates game of choice, as seen in PotC: Dead Man’s Chest. Dice will be provided, but feel free to bring your own.
Players each put their dice in a cup, or something similar, shake them, and place them on a table, or other playing surface, underneath the cup. They then look at their own dice. Players then take it in turns to make “bids”: a bet on how many of what face will appear. When an unlikely bid is made, the next player can challenge the maker of the previous bid by saying “Liar”. Once this is done, the challenged player must reveal their dice, followed by the other player(s). If the bid was correct, the challenging player loses. If the challenger was correct, the challenging player wins. A bid is bet on the minimum number rolled. Note: your bet includes all the dice, not just your own.
Bids must be a same or higher quantity of a higher face, or a higher quantity of any face. For example, if the first bid was “three fours”, then the next bid would have to be at least “three fives” (same quantity, higher face) or “four fives” (higher quantity, higher face) or "four twos (higher quantity, any face). “One” can count as any number, but there must be a mother die for this to be the case. For example, if there are 4 dice on the table and someone calls a 4 and there is a one, but no four to act as the mother die, they lose.

Hitpoints
How many times you can be hit with a weapon before you fall down to ‘Mostly Dead’. Pretty straightforward, really. When you’re ‘Mostly Dead’, you should probably get some healing. You can’t stand or use special powers. You can talk, and it’s recommended you moan in pain.

Aces up your sleeve
Aces are like your character’s store of positive energy and can be used by buccaneers to power some outrageous miracles. Aces can’t ever be compelled from you, but they can be freely given. Aces can also be spent on healing. One ace can be spent to restore one hit point on someone else. You cannot use your own aces to heal yourself. There is no miracle (wo)man needed for this, the power of positivity is enough. There is no way to regain aces in the game time, except by specific deus ex machina situations…maybe

Special Powers
There are some powers in the game. If your attempt to use the power is stopped by immunity or other mechanic, it does not count as used up. It must be successfully completed to count as used up.

Bat your eyelids:
You may bat your eyelids at someone of any gender. If they have a power to resist the ‘batting of the eyelids’, they must play it now. If you succeed, please step to somewhere discrete to finish your conversation. If the ‘batting of the eyelids’ is successful, your fan boy or girl must answer one question truthfully.

Pirates Roar:
We all have moments where people just do what we say. In a suitably dramatic way, you may pour your will into a forceful statement that demands compliance. This power may force someone to cease an action or to complete a reasonably quick action that isn’t sexual or immediately deadly to the character. The command will start, “I COMMAND THAT!” For example, you could order someone to fight a duel against someone of reasonably equal talent but not against an obviously superior enemy. You could order someone to confess the truth but not to kill themselves. It cannot be used for an extended long term action – you could say “Vote my way in the vote just now” but not “Agree with everything I say forever” . Some characters, however, just won’t take orders from anyone. This power doesn’t work on them, and they will indicate it by replying, “DON’T TAKE THAT TONE WITH ME!”

I Am Not Left Handed
For each use of this power, you may reset a fight you’ve lost. You are back on full hit points and in fine form. Unfortunately, your opponent isn’t left handed either and so are they – but at least you get another shot! If defeated using this power, they must give you an item they possess or answer a question truthfully. Some characters in the game may be immune to this ability. If so, they will respond by saying “THIS TIME, STAY DOWN!” and making a dramatic gesture with a weapon. Please comply dramatically.

Some lingo :smiley: Feel free to add some.

To start with, of course, say “ye” for you, “me” for my or mine, and don’t skimp on the “ahoy” and "arrrrr!"
Addled Mad, insane, or just stupid. An “addlepate” is a fool.
Aft Short for “after.” Toward the rear of the ship.
Ahoy Hello!
Avast! Hey! Could also be used as “Stop that!” or "Who goes there?"
Begad! By God!
Belay Stop that. “Belay that talk!” would mean "Shut up!"
Bilge! Nonsense, or foolish talk. The bilges of a ship are the lowest parts, inside the hull along the keel. They fill with stinking bilgewater—or just "bilge."
Bilge-sucking A very uncomplimentary adjective.
Black Spot To “place the Black Spot” on another pirate is to sentence him to death, to warn him he is marked for death, or sometimes just to accuse him of a serious crime before other pirates.
Blaggard Blackguard. An insult.
Blimey! An exclamation of surprise.
Booty Loot.
Bosun Boatswain, a petty officer.
Bucko Familiar term. “Me bucko” = "my friend."
Cap’n Short for "captain."
Cat o’nine tails A whip with many lashes, used for flogging. “A taste of the cat” might refer to a full flogging, or just a single blow to “smarten up” a recalcitrant hand.
Chantey A sailor’s work song. Also spelled “shantey” or "shanty."
Corsair A more romantic term for pirate. But still a pirate.
Davy Jones’ locker The bottom of the sea.
Deadlights Eyes. "Use yer deadlights, matey!"
Dead men tell no tales Standard pirate excuse for leaving no survivors.
Dog A mild insult, perhaps even a friendly one.
Doubloon A Spanish gold coin. At different times, it was worth either 4 or 16 silver pesos, or "pieces of eight."
Fair winds! Goodbye, good luck!
Feed the fish What you do when you are thrown into the sea, dead or alive.
Gangway! "Get out of my way!"
Godspeed! Goodbye, good luck!
Grub Food.
Fore, or forrard Toward the front end of the ship.
Flogging Punishment by caning, or by whipping with the cat.
Hands The crew of a ship; sailors.
Handsomely Quickly. “Handsomely now, men!” = "Hurry up!"
Jack Ketch The hangman. To dance with Jack Ketch is to hang.
Jollyboat A small but happy craft, perhaps even one which is a little dinghy.
Jolly Roger The pirates’ skull-and-crossbones flag. It was an invitation to surrender, with the implication that those who surrendered would be treated well. A red flag indicated "no quarter."
Keelhaul Punishment by dragging under the ship, from one side to the other. The victim of a keelhauling would be half-drowned, or worse, and lacerated by the barnacles that grew beneath the ship.
Kiss the gunner’s daughter A punishment: to be bent over one of the ship’s guns and flogged.
Lad, lass, lassie A way to address someone younger than you.
Landlubber or just lubber A non-sailor.
Lights Lungs. A pirate might threaten to "have someone’s lights and liver."
Line A rope in use as part of the ship’s rigging, or as a towing line. When a rope is just coiled up on deck, not yet being used for anything, it’s all right to call it a rope.
Lookout Someone posted to keep watch on the horizon for other ships or signs of land.
Maroon A common punishment for violation of a pirate ship’s articles, or offending her crew. The victim was left on a deserted coast (or, island) with few supplies. That way, no one could say that the unlucky pirate had actually been killed by his former brethren.
Me A piratical way to say "my."
Me hearties Typical way for a pirate leader to address his crew.
Matey A piratical way to address someone in a cheerful, if not necessarily friendly, fashion.
No quarter! Surrender will not be accepted.
Piece of eight A Spanish silver coin worth one peso or 8 reales. It was sometimes literally cut into eight pieces, each worth one real.
Pillage To raid, rob, and sack a target ashore.
Pirate A seagoing robber and murderer. Contrast with privateer.
Poop deck The highest deck at the aft end of a large ship. Smaller ships don’t have a poop; the highest part aft is the quarterdeck.
Poxy, poxed Diseased. Used as an insult.
Rope’s end Another term for flogging. "Ye’ll meet the rope’s end for that, me bucko!"
Rum (noun) Traditional pirate drink.
Rum (adjective) Strange or odd. A “rum fellow” is a peculiar person, the sort who won’t say “Arrrr!” on Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Sail ho! “I see a ship!” The sail, of course, is the first part of a ship visible over the horizon.
Salt, old salt An experienced seaman.
Scurvy (1) A deficiency disease caused by lack of vitamin C, often afflicting sailors;
(2) A derogatory adjective for an epithet, as in "Ye scurvy dogs!"
Sea dog An experienced seaman.
Shanty Another spelling for “chantey” - a sea song.
Shark bait (1) Your foes, who are about to feed the fish (q.v.).
(2) A worthless or lazy sailor; a lubber who is no use aboard ship.
Shiver me timbers! An expression of surprise or strong emotion.
Sink me! An expression of surprise.
Smartly Quickly. “Smartly there, men!” = "Hurry up!"
Splice the mainbrace To have a drink. Or, perhaps, several drinks.
Spyglass A telescope.
Starboard The right side of the ship when you are facing toward her prow.
Sutler A merchant in port, selling what a ship needed for supplies and repairs.
Swab (noun) A disrespectful term for a seaman. "Man that gun, ye cowardly swabs!"
Swab (verb) To clean something. “Swabbing the decks” would be a mild penalty for a disobedient pirate.
Swag Loot.
Wench An individual of the female persuasion. “Saucy” is a good adjective to add to this, and if ye can get away with "Me proud beauty,” more power to ye!
Yo-ho-ho A very piratical thing to say, whether it actually means anything or not.