Auckland Gear Move

The Auckland Committee has appointed me as the Auckland Equipment Officer, so I’ve taken on Nikki’s gear relocation project. Our gear library is key to our ability to create larps across a variety of settings, and has been built up over time by our projects, both large and small, from Mordavia through to The Crucible. This move represents an evolutionary development of NZLARPS as an organisation, as we commit ourselves to professional storage, and the concomitant costs associated with it.

I have identified a suitable profession storage solution on Onehunga (Brad, who very kindly offered the use of his garage, was unable to maintain the offer). This solution offers approximately double the our current storage volume, and in dry, secure environment.

There will be a full gear move on Saturday August 2nd, starting at 10am at 62 St Leonards Road, Kelston. We will be moving the gear to 44 Galway St, Onehunga.

I will tow our trailer, but we will need to hire an additional trailer and we will need another driver to tow the other trailer. If you can help with trailer towing, please post here or PM me. We need 10-12 volunteers (with 2-3 cars to get us all from Kelston to Onehunga). I expect we would be finished by 3pm.

The new storage space needs some shelves and I intend to build these on the weekend of Sat July 26th/Sun 27th (exact date to be confirmed, dependent on volunteer availability). I need help to build the shelves, so if you can assist that would be great. You don’t need to be particularly handy (the shelves are based on a very simple design), and I have plenty of tools. Perhaps 3-4 hours total.

I want to install the shelves on the Friday night before the move (Friday 1st August), perhaps 1-2 hours.

If you can help, please post here or PM me. It will be fun, I guarantee it ! :smiley:

I’m afraid I can’t commit to specifics until a little closer to the time, but I’m definitely planning to try to get along to help out with some of it at least.

I’ll be there. Mike when you know what timbers you need, swing by and have a look at our stuff stored under the house, to see if can be used.

Groovy, I’ll be in contact to suss a time next weekend. If we can use donated wood, that would be great :slight_smile:

I’ll be there!

BUMP

The gear move is this Saturday. All help appreciated !

I still need a helper to assist with installing the shelves on Friday night, PM me if you can help.

Today is the day! From 10 am at Kelston.

If you’ve got some time to help out in the afternoon, then we’re probably still be going at the Onehunga end.

Text me for the address of the storage place and to confirm when we’re going to be there. 0220 244 211.
(And say who you are in the text, as my phone address book isn’t huge, and chances are won’t recognise your number.)

Prema and I are short of a car. Is anyone able to give us a lift?

Sorted. 8)

Huge thank you to Mike for all the work you’ve put into this. The shelving looks amazing. Quite incredible how much we could fit in (with room to find it all).

Thank you very much to Tigger for driving the truck, Hannah for taking Prema and I there.

Thanks to Anna C for helping load the trucks. Thanks to Mike, Tigger, Hannah, Josie, and Prema - we made a great team.

Job done ! 8)

Many thanks to James for assisting myself and Tama to assemble the shelves on Friday night.

And many thanks to Anna C, Tigger, Hannah, Josie, Prema and Walter for helping with the gear move today.

Our gear is now in a secure storage facility in Onehunga. The new shelves help organise the gear so the high-usage items are more accessible. I will personally store the generator because storing flammables is not allowed at our facility.

[quote=“Mike Curtis”]And many thanks to Anna C, Tigger, Hannah, Josie, Prema and Walter for helping with the gear move today.[/quote]Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

Fantastic stuff, thanks for organising this Mike and to everyone who helped.

It’s a big upgrade to Auckland gear storage that we’ve been wanting for a long time, great to hear it’s happened.

Awesome work! Thanks Mike for organizing this and building the shelves, and everyone who gave up their Saturday morning to do the shift.