Auckland Council Funding for gear storage?

I came across this today - Auckland Council funding for accommodation for Community groups. It might solve our gear storage problems.

http://aucklandcouncil.smartygrants.com.au/accomodationsupport2014_1

The funding is for between $2,500 and $25,000 and can be used for regular rent or lease costs.

Applications are currently open and continue until 14th or 15th July 2013 (depending on where you look). So the committee or someone on it would need to get on to this asap.

Information about other current Auckland Council grants are here:
http://aucklandcouncil.smartygrants.com.au/

Seems like it might be appropriate. Would we have to apply for it every year to maintain funding for storage?

It would be ideal if we could secure a space that could be used not only for storage but also for meetings, workshops and games. Especially if that location had a parking space for the trailer so everything is in one place. Would be fine if it was a venue shared with other groups, so long as we could get our own storage area.

That would be my guess.

While it would be nice to get some retail space which enabled meetings etc, I do think it is more realistic to approach the Council for support for storing our gear in an industrial space.

A quick search on Trade Me found this: trademe.co.nz/property/comme … 099904.htm

Basically, ~8400 p.a. (incl GST) for 46 sq m of storage (including power), roughly 4.5 times as much as our current shed can hold. This would be enough for storage plus workshop space, which is serious improvement on what we have historically enjoyed.

Did you see this one Mike ? trademe.co.nz/property/comme … 950238.htm

One of the beauties of it is it is straight off the motorway, and it’s 85 sq m, for only 4K more

[quote=“Yahn Nhay”]Did you see this one Mike ? trademe.co.nz/property/comme … 950238.htm

One of the beauties of it is it is straight off the motorway, and it’s 85 sq m, for only 4K more[/quote]

Sadly NZLARPS doesn’t have $4K a year, let alone 12.

Idiot, this is a thread about getting funding to cover those costs. The funding is for grants between $2,500 and $25,000. So $12,000 does fit within the funding amount.

However, the funding is for the central area of Auckland, so I would assume that we need to rent something within that area. So the North Shore one is probably not a good idea. Also, most of our events so far have been on the southern side of the bridge, so it is probably better to have the storage on the southern side too.

My suggestion is, that if we do get this funding, that the society does fundraising and earmarks enough for 2 months rent or so, so that if we don’t get funding in any subsequent years we have a bit of time to sort out an alternative.

This looks like an excellent kind of option, although that location (St Johns) may be a bit far east to be practical.

We could try getting funding from the council (for say $10,000 or $15,000 a year) by providing some examples of where we might lease, and then fix on a location if the funding is secured.

It may turn out that a location turns up at that price with a mix of storage, garage and other space. I can see some small mixed industrial storage/office spaces on Trademe, like this one in Avondale with 100m2 for $13,000 + GST: trademe.co.nz/property/comme … 851821.htm (which has been taken).

Did the committee this year look into this?

It was an action point for Mike, I’ll add it to the agenda to discuss at tonight’s meeting.

The short answer is no, we did not get an application in this year.
I think it is one of the options for gear storage that needs to be fully investigated by the committee for 2013-14.