A fae tale: The Wild Kings Hunt

[size=150]A Fae tale: The Wild Hunt[/size]

On this sultry eve, all the courts gather. The Lords and Ladies of Summer and Winter come together, their rivalries put aside for one night. The goblins, redcaps and the trolls and vampires and ghouls share space with boogiemen and sprites.

On the night of the Wild Hunt, all gather for one purpose, the Hunt.

First, all that wish it fight for the title of Hunt Master of the night, to be the Wild Kings right hand, to sound the horn and lead the horde for the night. This is resolved through a last man standing fight, tooth and claw, blade and axe. Wit and cunning or speed and strength, on this night no tricks of magic shall hold sway.

From the first to fall are selected the quarry, their failure to succeed being their mark of damnation. They may appeal, and should a brave spirit accept then places may be swapped.

Their goal for redemption, to take a marker from the great white tree and return to the Wild Kings pavilion. But the Hunt will chase, and search and sniff and find them. They will come a holwing and baying. With the clashing of arms and the gnashing of jaws. Should they fail and their blood will wet the blades and claws and teeth of the hunters, their entrails will be worn as trophies and the hunted shall wail in woe before the end!

And in the end, they shall retire that night and spend the rest off it in merriment, drink and food.

Roles:

Nobility
Wild King - requirements a imposing figure, armed and armoured, ready for the hunt. The Wild King often wears a horned helm.
Lady/Lord Winter - Queen Mabs representative in the Hunt. Cold, cruel and beautiful her realm is Winter.
Lord/Lady Summer - Queen Titanias representative in the Hunt. Do not mistake Summer as a place of warm and light for else you might get burned.
The Nobility do not take part of the baser parts of the Hunt. Their part is to choose champions and select the hunted. Their aspects are powerful, none below them can challenge their might. But the politics of the Courts are strange and fickle, who knows what might come about on this night. So long as the Hunt is done, all else is fair game.

The Horde
The rest of the horde are members of the 3 courts. Elves, Ghouls, Trolls, Goblins, Sidhe, Vampires or any other fae that the mind can imagine.

Mortal Champions
Brave Knights and arrogant Champions who have gained the favour of the fae are also invited to this event. This also includes those who have come to defend the punished.

The punished
Mortals and fae alike, those who have fell afoul of the fae also attend. Without choice.

Some will remember this was posted as an idea for Halloween 2010 however I left the idea and planning just a little too late.

Game plan and other ideas:
The idea was to have a bit of a layered event here with a little more planning. The Hunt would be a segment of it but would include a significant social portion to it. A time for the Courts to have their intrigues and plots. For duels to be fought and lost. The losers joining the ranks of the punished.
For some, to which live combat does not appeal, roles within the fae nobility could be assigned. It is assumed everyone would attend the Hunt but not all would bare arms but play the roles of the amused Courtiers.
A devious mind, willing to work with me on the courtly intrigues would be much appreciated.
When this idea popped into my head I had thoughts of various literature, Dresden files (Jim Butchers fae Queens), the Meredith Gentry series (Llaurel K Hamilton has nasty fae, if you can see past the smut), and also A Faerie Tale (by Raymond E Feist).
One of the themes of this game would be the defeat of your foes brings you more power, either by force of arms or by political manoevering.
A simple system would be in place, for the bulk of the roles, it would be simple and straightforward. Or at least thats the plan.

I have a thought to run this or a prelogue to it in December, say the 11th or 18th. Is this too close to Xmas? I personally have little leave spare this year, so it makes little difference to me.

Salivates at the setting

Mmmm. Winter court.