1st Anual Larp!

Ok here is the deal.

I really want a 5 day larp - I just do.

So if I get 40 people to sign up I will run a 5 day larp event Next Christmas Holidays.

Boffer / Social larp:

Hp: 1

xp: 20

Rules?

You hit people they die.

If you want a species, a spell or an effect from any system no matter what it is then tell me what you want it to do and how much of your 20xp you want to spend on each ability and its power will be scaled correctly.

You heard me - play anything you want :slight_smile:

What happend?

Across the universes wormholes began to appear destroying entire planets and wiping out stars in an instant.

You and your companions ( if you have any) somehow ended up being sucked into the wormhole and were vomited out at the other end where you now wake up.

Factions:

There will be 3 factions:

Creation - The good guys - they want to save everything

Life - The neutral guys - they just want to live

Destruction - The bad guys - they just want to destroy everything

date:
December 16th - 20th 2009.

Did you just say ANYTHING? O.o

i’m having a thought… Oh and hell yes i am so in for this idea :slight_smile:

5 day LARP?

Here are a bunch of my thoughts, which are based on the assumption I have no idea what you have planned (i.e. I need more details to be coherent about this idea)

Nice idea but doubt I can make more than 2 days. I’m likely to get maybe 2 weeks off over Christmas so I’m unlikely to be able to spend 5 days of it LARPing. A couple of days, maybe a better likelihood. But then, thats just me. Let me know if day passes would work.

Next issue for me, if I am to come up with a concept for what I think is worth 20XP (for me is the equivalent of making a character using KS or SWVH rules in my mind). Thats a lot of effort when I die FIRST tag. Then what? Clone Ork #87?

Ok so it makes combat dangerous but I LARP because of the combat aspect, not inspite of it. I have no issue taking one hit and falling down bleeding, clutching the stump of my arm or trying to hold my entrails in but being dead because someone got a lucky shot in and grazed my forearm seems well, a little cheap.

Again, details. If we are able to play anything, how does the Space Marine David Harrop turns up with work out with the spell flinging Wizard? You say boffer combat but what I’m getting at is how does the ANYTHING work outside of boffer melee. Again 1HP and I’m dead.

So how does Power armour factor in?

Now this might all seem negative, and well its not. It is about the detail. Its about the fact that I AGONISE about character creation. I don’t mind getting ganked BUT I dislike the idea of having to come up with a new character after every fight I have.

Please, answer my questions, I’m sure I’m not the only one with these thoughts. I find the overall idea interesting…

basically -

if somone says i want to spend 3 xp on more hit points

and somone else says they want to spend 10

obviously the one who spends 10 will end up with more.

I can’t really give out xp expenditure because it doesnt work that way - basically come up with what you want to have - how much of your xp you are spending on it and i will balance it out.

eg: Somone wants to spend 14xp on their power armor and somone else wants to spend 12xp on their fire ball - well then obviously the fireball won’t destroy the power armor in one hit.

:wink:

Trust me - Im insane :smiley:

[quote=“Jared”] Again, details. If we are able to play anything, how does the Space Marine David Harrop turns up with work out with the spell flinging Wizard? You say boffer combat but what I’m getting at is how does the ANYTHING work outside of boffer melee. Again 1HP and I’m dead.

So how does Power armour factor in?

[/quote]

was I that obvious lol? :wink:

Err sounds like if you scale things like that, then you’ll have lots of bulky mechanics. I know you like tons of rules Adam but pretty much everyone will have a different mechanic… I guess when it comes down to the crunch things will start to standardise out…

As for you mr Harrop, well wouldn’t it be more like a company of Marines?

dunno about company, where the hell would i have both the time and materials for 100 suits of power armour and people to put in them? best i can do is a squad of ten :slight_smile:

Yeah an interesting idea, but I guess my initial thought was about logistics

[quote=“Xcerus”]
I get 40 people to sign up I will run a 5 day larp event Next Christmas Holidays.
date: December 16th - 20th 2009.[/quote].

To me Christmas holidays starts after Christmas, not before. Before Christmas is usually a pretty frantic time of year preparing for Christmas, functions and end of year stuff. Whereas afterwards is more traditional holiday time (and school holidays).

And what venue would you be thinking of to cater for 40 people? And which of those venue would be available at that time year (and wouldn’t you need to book it soonish)? And hence what would be the cost?

From the character point of view, would there be stuff / story arc for characters to do, or is it about the different timezone/era characters coming together? Would there be crew per se? Is it expected that we be in character for the whole time?

There will be crew rotations between the factions based on how the plot is flowing

There will be plot (egads) - each faction will have their own plot to deal with :slight_smile:

I suppose I could move the date to after christmas :confused: and the scout camps I have spoken to are all free at the moment during this period :slight_smile:

tbh - 5 people have shown intrest :confused:

I will announce it at requiem and encourage people to spread the word

• It will not be rules heavy or calls heavy-

for example:
Tim the sorcerer ends up with a spell that does 4 damage

he yells:

by my arcane power etc etc um… what where the words? Gah I always forget the words… o yes! BANG! 4 damage!

Where as Mr Space marine goes:

Two damage!

etc etc

you call numbers - its easy as.

Don’t make me turn this into somthing it doesn’t need to be with rules etc - creativity is key here.

how much xp for finger of death?

However much you think :stuck_out_tongue:

This sounds kinda interesting… I might be keen…

Question though, with low HP (well for some characters). What happens when you die? It’d kinda suck to die in the first day of play. Do we need to roll backup characters that we switch to if our first dies? or do we get ressurected?

Some players might buy a resurection spell for such events… (hint)

Otherwise you might just have to make a new character :wink:

Ressurection is all well and good Adam but its hardly something we can count on. Would lying helpless and bleeding on the ground not be more suitable? That way death is not so erm accidental. As I pointed out, it would be crap to die just because I got knicked on the arm…

My point is, people often put a lot of effort into a character and costuming is not always easy. I have 3 tunics, 2 linen shirts, some boots and a single set of black armour after nearly 10 years of larping, so changing it up isn’t that easy.
I personally don’t like the idea of making a clone character, so it would leave me at a quandry.

Of course, from what you are saying, it wouldn’t be that hard to give yourself a “hard to kill” ability, which would leave you helpless rather than dead…

tbh - im expecting people to get together with friends and arrange groups for this - so that you have the healer the dude with the guns - the die hard - the mage… whatever sorted out…

i will play a character that is visible for one of the fives days but wears a harry-potter style invisibility cloak for the rest while my soul rests at home eating curd.

Ok any one wanting to be in an interesting group with a very loyal space marine?

make that two space marines, us marines gotta stick together

hmmm, skirmish style tanking 4TW i reckon.

Ok its the run up to summer - I need confirmed characters for this 20+ players otherwise I will go back to the drawing board and do something with a more rigid rules set.